Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

My guess would be that if you have a 2010 model and you are still using the chassis battery that it came with, You need a new battery.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

They do list Dual Battery Charge Control for the Destination, but not for any other gas chassis.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #23
Duo
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find that your chassis battery is not charged while on shore power. My 01 didn't. However your battery should not die in one week unless there is a load on it that you're not aware of or its in need of replacement. I would have it tested.
Cliff
I am assuming that my 2004 DP Journey
Does not have any factory installed device to charge the chassis batteries. My question is can you get this Trickle charger installed or will a "Battery Tender" perform the same function,and can you leave the batteries hooked up. When using the battery tender.
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

The Trick-L-Start is very easy to install and will keep your chassis battery charged without 120 VAC. The Battery Tender requires 120 VAC.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

AATim... I think you are running into the same thing I did awhile back.
I started a thread in this and there are others:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/batte...is-164034.html

The steps, monitors, etc. all run off the chassis battery. I am now unplugging the steps when they are would for a while. (have to make a note to check before moving) The manufacturer has a new control module for around $200.00 with a timer. He needs the model and ser# to find if your came with it. They did not however say if it would do more than turn off the step light.

I have a small trickle charger plugged into shore power (inside the coach) and then to DC power on the dash to keep the battery topped off. This has worked for the past 7 months without problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
Does not have any factory installed device to charge the chassis batteries. My question is can you get this Trickle charger installed or will a "Battery Tender" perform the same function,and can you leave the batteries hooked up. When using the battery tender.
The BatteryTender does require 120 vac which works for me since we don't boondock. The batteries can be hooked up while using it. Mine is connected all the time since I have shore power all the time (except when traveling).
When we inherited a commercial peach orchard we used one to keep all of the farm implement batteries charged all winter. It can handle four batteries at one time.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
Does not have any factory installed device to charge the chassis batteries.
I think you're right. If memory serves, it was 2005 that they began including it in most/all DPs.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

The latest generation of gassers either include the trik- l start either as an option or as standard equipment on the higher end models. Our 2001 didn't have it, but there is a charging option currently available, The "Battery Boost" switch can be used to connect the chassis and house batteries for charging purposes as well as emergency starts.

A few years ago at GNR I had a discussion with a factory rep about charging the chassis battery while on shore power. His suggestion was to either put a wedge under the "Battery Boost" switch to connect the batteries, or change out the momentary switch in favor of a latching switch. We took the second option and it worked well. I also added a pilot light so i would know when the batteries were manually connected.

Keep in mind both the chassis and house batteries are connected any time the engine is running. The main reason they aren't connected when parked is to prevent all the batteries from being drained to the point either the generator or engine can't be started.

You'll have to take a close look at the wiring to see if some of the 12 volt power points are connected to the chassis battery. Before about 2005 some of the power points and charging stations worked off the chassis battery. I'm not sure which year they were changed to the house batteries, but it was primarily beacuse people were running the chassis battery down charging cell phones, personal radios, and computers while boondocking
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Many thanks to all who responded to my posting. I'm finding out more and more that the RV community is very much like the sailing cruising one I've been a part of for over 40 years...well-informed and helpful! Gas costs a LOT more, but at least the chance of drowning has gone down!! Thanks again, I'll be installing some sort of 110v charging system for the chassis battery as soon as we get home.
AATim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

That's the great part of this forum. From suffering to success, we try our best.

Happy trails.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

I have to say, I've found over the years that owning a motorhome is a whole lot cheaper than owning a boat...! (of comparable size anyhow)
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

Not totally sure if I agree...at least for a sailboat. We spent last winter cruising from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas and back (lot of time motoring on the Intracoastal Waterway [ICW]) for right at $100/day. Haven't been doing this RV-thing very long, but at 7.5 mpg vs. 1 gph I got to believe that he RV is going to cost at least as much as the boat. We'll see.... I've confirmed that RV "cruising" is a lot like sailing...fixing things in exotic locations!
AATim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
since around 2005 they've included a factory installed Trik-L-Start to maintain the house batteries while on shore power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
RICK: Didn't you mean to type "chassis" battery in the reply above ???

Oops. Sure did. Thanks Ed.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find that your chassis battery is not charged while on shore power. My 01 didn't. However your battery should not die in one week unless there is a load on it that you're not aware of or its in need of replacement. I would have it tested.
Cliff
Clifftall
Well said .

My chassis batteries are not charged while on shore power, (and I do NOT have an accessory charger).
I have never had a starting problem due to a discharged battery in 12 years, (105k miles).

IMO, if chassis a battery in a coach discharges in less than a month, there is something wrong with the coach, (or the battery).

Mel
'96 Safari 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I have a 99 Chieftain diesel ...... I find the following things true....

1.... The dealership shorted me one house battery....I added 1 now I have two
2.... The house batteries are charged with shore line, generator, or diesel running
3.... The chassis battery is only used to start diesel or work steps
4.... The chassis battery will last a month or longer I do not know how long as I start it about once a month
5.... I can use the house batteries to help start diesel
6.... The chassis battery is only charged from the diesel (I think)
7.... You need to turn the house battery disconnect switch to off when storing....mine is located on my dash

Dave in Illinois
Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Good post Dave. One thing though. Both house and start batteries should be shut off during storage. There are enough small draws on the start battery that will drain it down in storage. Some folks put a trickle charge on them during storage. Most of us have some sort of control over the battery banks. My '05 had a big manual switch under the engine hood. This coach has two switches in the cluster by the entrance door.

To the original post...

Here is the diagram for the '05 Vectra BIRD: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_150770.pdf

If I am correct it should be available from the inverter charger.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Good post Dave. One thing though. Both house and start batteries should be shut off during storage. There are enough small draws on the start battery that will drain it down in storage. Some folks put a trickle charge on them during storage. Most of us have some sort of control over the battery banks. My '05 had a big manual switch under the engine hood. This coach has two switches in the cluster by the entrance door.

To the original post...

Here is the diagram for the '05 Vectra BIRD: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_150770.pdf

If I am correct it should be available from the inverter charger.
I think you meant converter charger.

By definition, an inverter TAKES power from DC batteries to produce AC (usually 12v DC to 120V AC).
Ed
Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

In my case my chassis battery and my house batteries are somehow tied together. When I bought this MH 4 months ago I noticed that when plugged in to shore power both house and chassis batteries read 13.6 volts and when we camp without shore power the chassis battery will discharge at the same rate as the house batteries. The po installed a knife type disconnect on the positive terminal of the chassis battery to keep this from happening. I always suspected this was not normal and after reading this thread its sounds like something is not wired right. Any help in troubleshooting would be appreciated. I will get the meter out tomorrow and go to work.
RV Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Thanks Ed. (I think) I was talking in terms of the thing sitting on the deck and not the components within. Sorry for the confusion. Keep me on my toes!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I think you meant converter charger.

By definition, an inverter TAKES power from DC batteries to produce AC (usually 12v DC to 120V AC).
Ed
I don't know if he has one in this case but there are a number of inverter/chargers on the market that provide both an inverter function and a charging/DC supply function.

Tags
batteries, chassis, electrical, house batteries