Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Electrical problems

Hello once again fellow irv2.com'ers. I hope all is well with each of you.

I have a question for you DIY''ers out there.
Our coach is a 2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
I'll explain what happened first, then ask the question, so here goes.

Somewhere down the line we encountered a strong surge in our electrical supply that manifested itself on this trip. I had to replace the TRC/Surge Guard transfer switch.
I have no way of adding pics at the moment, as soon as I can, I'll show you the damage.
Anyway, it seems that we have lost functionality of the microwave, and the clothes washer.
The microwave is the Sharp Insight Convection microwave. I have checked the fuse, and it is good.
Question 1. How do you remove this unit?

The washing machine is quite a bit more interesting. It seems that my wife decided to wash some clothes amid our troubles, and now the machine is half full of water, and has no power.
Question 2. How do you remove this unit?

Before you ask, I have checked power at each of these units power receptacle, and they are working fine.

Thanks in advance,

Kool Bell
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you have experienced a voltage surge which got through to your electronic equipment, its' quite possible that they are 'cooked'.

There may be some fuses internally on the individual appliances which may have protected you. Not sure. You would have to talk to Sharp and the manufacturer of the washing machine, since the power checks out at the receptacles.

Winnebago should be able to help you with the procedures on how to remove the appliances.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Here's what I would do.
Check the "Ground Falut" Breakers on the receptical.
Empty the clothes washer with a extension cord plugged into the washer.
Are all the outlets in the coach dead?
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
Here's what I would do.
Thanks for responding.

I have power to the receptacles. The ground fault had tripped, and the surge guard unit fried. I believe the two units are fried as well. I need to remove both, so that I can get them repaired.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
If you have experienced a voltage surge which got through to your electronic equipment, its' quite possible that they are 'cooked'.

There may be some fuses internally on the individual appliances which may have protected you. Not sure. You would have to talk to Sharp and the manufacturer of the washing machine, since the power checks out at the receptacles.

Winnebago should be able to help you with the procedures on how to remove the appliances.
Thanks Pusherman, How are things?

I appreciate your response. I had intended to do just what you stated in calling Winnebago Ind. for advice. Since it is the weekend, I wanted to get head start on this. Looks like patience will have to be friend today.

Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
Here's what I would do.
dnystrom
Kool Bell, (the OP with the problem), said:
Before you ask, I have checked power at each of these units power receptacle, and they are working fine.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our microwave had an internal fuse. Would be reasonable to think that the washer might, as well. Fuse was soldered in, but serviceable. Had to pull off the microwave cover to access it, however. Bummer, right? \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

This thread will help you get dryer out

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/stac...6m-176545.html

You should then be able to see how to remove the washer.

I had my micro replaced at the factory, I believe they removed the wood slat above the unit. I think you can bend it out of the side mounting moulding.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have a friend who has fried the circuit board in his convection microwave with surges. In fact he did it twice! You might have someone check that out. The board is replaceable.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
This thread will help you get dryer out

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/stac...6m-176545.html

You should then be able to see how to remove the washer.

I had my micro replaced at the factory, I believe they removed the wood slat above the unit. I think you can bend it out of the side mounting moulding.
Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I have a friend who has fried the circuit board in his convection microwave with surges. In fact he did it twice! You might have someone check that out. The board is replaceable.
That's good to know. I am sure it's a board problem, just which one. There are three in mine. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Before you get too involved, have you checked with your insurance company? You may be covered under comprehensive. Do you have an extended warranty?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Before you get too involved, have you checked with your insurance company? You may be covered under comprehensive. Do you have an extended warranty?
I do have Ins. Recently had a windshield replaced, and I don't want to have another claim right now. Besides, the work is easy, and I can do it without having to unload all of my possessions from the storage bins while the work is done.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Before anything else happens you need to install a Surge protector on the input line of your unit. You could have gotten a combo Transfer Switch Surge guard but you already replaced that.
I know you said you checked the outlets at those appliances but have yo actually plugged something else into those outlets to see if they really work?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Kool Bell,

I find it VERY interesting that a surge could cook the SurgeGuard itself and make it through to connected appliances. I would be interested to know what SurgeGuard says if/when you contact them. If they don't want the unit back for forensics, pull the cover on it.. I'd be interested to see what got cooked inside. Any thoughts as to what happened on the input? Lightning? Connected to an incorrectly wired pedestal?

As mentioned, the microwave most likely has a small slow-blow fuse inline once you get the cover off of it. As for the Washer/dryer, I don't know if it has any internal fusing you could replace.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBell View Post
I do have Ins. Recently had a windshield replaced, and I don't want to have another claim right now. Besides, the work is easy, and I can do it without having to unload all of my possessions from the storage bins while the work is done.
I understand fully. I don't think comprehensive clams count against you. It is not "your fault" in their eyes.

I just had another thought. What is the protection policy of the surge protector? They might help.

That must have been one wallop of a surge to get through the protector. I am happy for you that no one was hurt.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Good morning everyone,

I have had a terrible bout with a severe respiratory infection, and I am just really getting over it. Dr.s prescriptions two shots to the maximus, are starting to work. feeling a little funny/shaky but it's a lot better than where I was.

On to the problems at hand.

One or more of you had asked about the TRC Surge-Guard transfer switch. I did contact them, and the person I spoke with named Earl, confirmed the warranty lasted only 12 months from the date of purchase. I was definitely outside of that.

I spoke with the Park manager about the surge, and he was belligerent, and unsociable enough to not even want to see what had happened to my coach. He took it that I was blaming him for the problem. I honestly have no idea who's fault this is, or if my problems started at their Park. So, I said no more to him.

Then on the morning of my departure, I accidentally knocked over their stop sign for registering guests. Even though the pole was rotten at the ground, I felt so bad, and went to the office and told his wife, with my hat in my hand. Probably best if I don't go back there.

I feel as though I am writing a blog about these repairs, but I want to pass these things along to everyone who wants this information.

This post was very helpful http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/stac...6m-176545.html

The author was able to get me to the point of removing the washing machine, which became very easy after removing the Dryer as stated in the link above.

I unplugged the washer, and unhooked the two water hoses that were in compartment captured in the first picture.

I then contacted Ariston/Splendide and was helped rather nicely by . He talked me through the process of checking the surge protector, and the control board, both of which were deemed to be bad. Parts ordered $395.00.

More in a second post today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	59659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1219.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	59660  

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	59661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	59662  

Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Some of you have asked to see pictures of the Surge-Guard by TRC Industries. See the attached photos.

It bares repeating that I have no clue as to when my problems started. An electrical surge is the only answer I have to date.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	59666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	59667  

Name:	IMG_1229.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	59668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	59669  

Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Your next surge protector should be from Progressive Ind....Lifetime warranty and a good company to deal with....

EMS-HW50C
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

If you still need to remove the microwave, there are four attachment points. As someone said the wood trim above my unit had to be removed and there were two bolts coming up from the Sharp Convection Microwave. Then you remove the filters on the underside of the unit and there are two LONG bolts angled up that hold the unit to the back plate that is attached to the wall behind the unit.

These bolts are about 12" - 14" long. When the bolts are all loose the front of the unit tilts down and then lift the back up from the lip on the rear bracket that is on the wall.

Safe Travels,

David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical