Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical Problem

My 2006 Itasca meridian is currently parked in a RV park. My wife was doing a load of laundry and I was doing nothing. The a/c was off. We then experienced a partial electrical failure. I lost my overhead lights, some lamps, the refrigerator, smoke alarm, etc. The lights on the washer stayed on. The control panel read no power. I checked the outside surge protected and it indicated I was receiving power. I reset the circuit breaker from the Iand waited for the surge protector to kick in. I went in side. My control panel read 50 amps but nothing going to the a/c, refrigerator, water heater, or fan speed. I reset all the inside circuit breakers with no results. After about 15 minutes everything kicked back on. My wife went back to doing laundry and I went back to doing nothing with the a/c on. After about an hour the whole process happened again. After another 15 minutes or so all the power came back. Now my wife and I both are doing nothing. I am wondering since the laundry unit is near my electrical bay is it possible I am tripping one more thermal breakers. Does anyone know where the thermal breakers are located and are they easy to replace. If so would most rv service centers have them. I am also open to any other ideas anyone might have.

Thanks,

Wally
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeanyone View Post
My 2006 Itasca meridian is currently parked in a RV park. My wife was doing a load of laundry and I was doing nothing. The a/c was off. We then experienced a partial electrical failure. I lost my overhead lights, some lamps, the refrigerator, smoke alarm, etc. The lights on the washer stayed on. The control panel read no power. I checked the outside surge protected and it indicated I was receiving power. I reset the circuit breaker from the Iand waited for the surge protector to kick in. I went in side. My control panel read 50 amps but nothing going to the a/c, refrigerator, water heater, or fan speed. I reset all the inside circuit breakers with no results. After about 15 minutes everything kicked back on. My wife went back to doing laundry and I went back to doing nothing with the a/c on. After about an hour the whole process happened again. After another 15 minutes or so all the power came back. Now my wife and I both are doing nothing. I am wondering since the laundry unit is near my electrical bay is it possible I am tripping one more thermal breakers. Does anyone know where the thermal breakers are located and are they easy to replace. If so would most rv service centers have them. I am also open to any other ideas anyone might have.
Thanks,
Wally
fudgeanyone
Loss of overhead lights, some lamps, the refrigerator, smoke alarm, etc. is an indication of loss of 12VDCpower.
Your washer/dryer uses 120VAC and should have no affect on your 12VDC power.

Are your house batteries full charged?
Is your converter/charger working?

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mel the charger appears to be working according to the inverter panel. When I select house battery on the panel it initially reads 12.5. When I disconnect 50 amp power the batteries read 11.5. Fluid levels are fine. Without the washer running we made it 35 minutes before it shut down again. Anything else you can think of me checking?

Wally
Old 08-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Your batteries reading 11.5 when shore power disconnected means they are discharged. Batteries should never be allowed to go below 12 volts. Might need new batteries. I do not think the charger is working. Should indicate more than 12.5 when charging, especially on low batteries.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Fully charged battery should read approx 13.5 volts. 11.5 or below means your battery is dead. Cell short could be dragging your converter down to a fault. Remove the house battery, take it to a battery store and have it charged and load tested.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Mel, The power kicked back on and the inverter is reading charging at 13.2 volts. Now it kicks on for only 5 minutes.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Your batteries reading 11.5 when shore power disconnected means they are discharged. Batteries should never be allowed to go below 12 volts. Might need new batteries. I do not think the charger is working. Should indicate more than 12.5 when charging, especially on low batteries.
fudgeanyone
I agree
Batteries at 11.5V are nearly dead.

Check the electrolyte level in each cell, add distilled water as necessary and allow them to charge fully.

If your onboard charger can't do it use a different battery charger.

If your batteries do not take, and hold, a charge they may need to be replaced.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Check the battery voltage when not charging. Then turn in charging. Should see about one volt increase if charging, if stays the same charger is not working.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The batteries are dead and the inverter is not charging. I put a charger on them in hopes they will recover. I have to leave the park Friday and if I head home it will 3 days. If these batteries don't charge enough to do the job, is there a temporary fix that will at least let me use the a/c on shore power. Can I remove the three current batteries and go with one car battery. Will one battery work for awhile. I could charge overnight. When I get home I can put in a new inverter and new deep cell batteries. What do you guys think?

Wally
Old 08-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Problem solved. One of the cables on the far inside battery terminal had come loose causing the inverter to charge intermittently. I tightened it up and everything is working fine.

Wally
Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Glad to hear that, Fudge...I have the exact same coach and was going to tell you that if your batteries get as low as you said, the propane detector alarm below the fridge will shut everything down until you're charged back up again. The little green led on the front will turn red and all of your 12v will quit.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeanyone View Post
Problem solved. One of the cables on the far inside battery terminal had come loose causing the inverter to charge intermittently. I tightened it up and everything is working fine.

Wally
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical