Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical outlet near shoreline wire.

I have a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ. Can someone tell me what the outlet is thats right next to where the shoreline wire comes out of terminal box ? It's the same kind of plug as the shoreline male except its a female. I can't or haven't been able to find it in the manual. Thanks in advance
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

In the older days if a rig did not have a generator transfer switch you plugged your shore power cord into that and fired up the generator. It's actually the generator output.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

So its possible to have both ? According to what little I have read on the generator it switches over automatically. Is there somewhere I can find what all works on just generator versus plugged in using shoreline ? Thanks for your input.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I am not sure on your model but on mine it sounds similar. I do not have an automatic transfer switch (ATS) that switches the power from shoreline to generator. My shoreline plug has to be manually plugged into that female receptacle in order to get generator power.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
aa1ssradio

No they usually don't do both. It could be something that was added by the previous owner. Might have to follow the wires on it. The generator should run everything in the RV if there is a transfer switch in there
Old 06-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
aa1ssradio

Easy way to check is disconnect RV from shore power and start generator and see what works. If nothing works plug shore power cord into that other plug and see what works then.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Just a thought. People make modifications that are not recorded. As stated, that receptacle may be the generator output. You might have an ATS. Check that output with a voltmeter with the generator running for power. If there is it may have been added to use the generator power for other uses. This could be emergency power to your home as an example.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Ranger and I think the same and typing at the same time...
Old 06-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I know the rear air works as well as most or all the lights inside but front air dont work and so far I havent found a receptacle inside that works with just generator running. Water pump works, microwave does not. This is all new to me so just trying to figure it out.
Looking at wiring schematic, the front air is not wired to run with generator but the rear air is.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just curious but is the shore line normally hard wired in or do you plug it into the RV as well as the camp site receptacle ? I'm wondering if the receptacle was the factory way and someone added the wire for ease of hooking it up so it wouldnt just get pulled out. Still searching for answers in the manual. Thanks y'all.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

OK with Generator running I have 128 volts on outlet so apparently the wire DOES have to be plugged in to that in order to get power everywhere. Front A/C does not work on just generator and as I said I havent found a receptacle that works with just generator. Thanks for y'alls input.

Tags
electrical