Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical Issue

I am the owner of a 2007 Itasca Sunrise model 35L motorhome that was purchased new in Feb., 2007. On a recent trip, we were plugged into a 50 amp hookup when we lost all power. After about an hour, the power came back on. We were told by an employee that a traffic accident near the campground took out a transformer that had to be replaced. Later that day we noticed that the PowerLine Display Panel was no longer showing 50 amps but was instead blinking every 2-3 seconds between 30 and 50 amps. An employee of the campground checked the service box and determined that 50 amps were available but had no answer as to why the Display Panel continued to blink alternating between 30 and 50 amps. After unplugging from the service box, I started the generator and it showed under the service type that the GenSet was on and the 30 amp light lit up. However, the AC Line stayed at zero despite using several appliances including central AC.

After returning home, I plugged into my 50 amp box and got the same results as in the campground but now it does not blink between 30 and 50 amps. It just shows 30 amps. The GenSet continues as described above.

I have an appointment in a few days to take my new toad to a RV and truck repair service to install a tow bar and all electrical hookups so it can be towed by our RV. I have spoken with them about the problems with the PowerLine Display Panel and they will see if they can solve that issue also.

Is there anything I can do before delivering the RV to the repair center to solve my electrical problem and be assured that I have 50 amps? Working with electricity is not my cup of tea and I am quite hesitant to mess around with something I know little about. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1Oldbanker
1oldbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum Oldbanker. Sounds like you've got a weird problem on your hands.

Does your 30 amp light usually come on when you running the generator? When you say "the AC Line stayed at zero despite using several appliances including central AC" are you taling about the load meter on your Powerline? Is it blank or does it actually read zero? Also, do you use a surge protector? In hind sight, it probably would have been a good idea to turn off the 50 amp breakers on the pedistal when power went down to avoid a possible brown out situation when the power came back on.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It could be a couple of things but it sounds like the breaker that supplies power to your second air conditioner when plugged into a 50 amp service is tripped.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

As long as nothing was fried when the power came back on because of a possible surge, there is an ethernet/telephone type cable plugged into the back of the board of the EMS..Unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in...This should reset the board...Worth a try...Also buy a surge protector...Worth every penny...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Welcome to the forum Oldbanker. Sounds like you've got a weird problem on your hands.

Does your 30 amp light usually come on when you running the generator? When you say "the AC Line stayed at zero despite using several appliances including central AC" are you taling about the load meter on your Powerline? Is it blank or does it actually read zero? Also, do you use a surge protector? In hind sight, it probably would have been a good idea to turn off the 50 amp breakers on the pedistal when power went down to avoid a possible brown out situation when the power came back on.

Rick
The loadmeter would always show the amount of amps being used when the generator was in use. Now only zero. Do not have surge protecter but will order one for future use.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
It could be a couple of things but it sounds like the breaker that supplies power to your second air conditioner when plugged into a 50 amp service is tripped.
Only one breaker for basement central air conditioner/heat pump. Both heat and air work fine.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
As long as nothing was fried when the power came back on because of a possible surge, there is an ethernet/telephone type cable plugged into the back of the board of the EMS..Unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in...This should reset the board...Worth a try...Also buy a surge protector...Worth every penny...
What is the EMS? Surge protector will be bought.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

An 07 Itasca with 50a should have a breaker for each main ...total of two ...and also a breaker for each ac stage ...again, two.

Re-setting the EMS board is an excellent idea too ...the board where you are reading the amps. You can gently remove it from the wall to unplug the large phone-type cable, OR you can ulplug the other end at the inverter if that is accessible. Leave it disconnected for apx 5 min before plugging it back in.

When on 50a shore power you will see no reading in the amps used window. When on 30a/20a/15a shore power OR generator you should see a reading for amps being used.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My money is on a bad ems board in the breaker box,but before you condem the board check all the lug connections on the board
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1RAINH20 View Post
My money is on a bad ems board in the breaker box,but before you condem the board check all the lug connections on the board

I did remove the only connection behind the EMS panel that consisted of a plug with 3 wires attached. After about 15 minutes I plugged them back together with no change in results. Will continue to check everything again including unplugging the above wires for a longer period of time.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Oldbanker
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Many times when power is restored there is... ONE HECK OF A SURGE, standard spike supressors won't clip it.. A surge guard (Power line monitor) may cut it off in time to protect things, but it may have happned that your EMS got spiked big time.

Going to the dealer, in this case.. Which you already have scheduled, is my best suggestion.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I had a very similar problem on the EMS display on our '07 Adventurere.

(search on my posts from a year or so ago)

Turns out my ac to dc converter, the garbage Parallax 7455, was "bleeding AC voltage into the dc output side of the converter. (verified by voltmeter) As explained to me, the EMS board is the most sensitive 12 user aboard to this problem and will act strange when it sees this AC on it's dc supply.

Under warranty, Winnie sent a new converter to my dealer, who sent it to me and I swapped it out. Solved the problem.

Later, I decided to by an Iota 55A converter (smarter, smaller 3 stage intelligent converter) and took the Parallax out.

jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

electrical

well sir, i had a similiar problem. plugged into 50 amp, but would only read 30 and the ac comp #2 did not light up. all the breakers were checked and stayed the same. all in all, it took a new board in my information center.
i have extraride thank goodness. costs 2,400.00 and i don't have a clue if that was good or bad since i don't know anything too much about electricity. good luck.

boyce and lisa
06 meridian 39k
06 jeep limited tow
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote