Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Electrical

I have recently purchased a 2009 Cambra. I'm not sure if everything is wired correct. Should I have power to my power windows when the key is off?
The dealership changed the radio (it has power at all time) out for some strange reason and I wounder if they may have jacked up other thing related with power! Not an electrician Help.
Cyclingpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Power windows are tied to the ignition so no fingers get pinched in windows being played with when adults are out of the cab. The dash radio in many RVs has a dashboard switch to change from chassis powered (on/off with ignition) to house powered when parked.

The radio usually has 2 12v (+) leads, one for main power is switched by ignition, the second 12v (+) is wired to full time power to maintain the clock and memory presets.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your radio could be wired to your house battery. If that's the case it would stay on if the ignition was turned off, and you would have to physically turn it off.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingpappy View Post
I have recently purchased a 2009 Cambra. I'm not sure if everything is wired correct. Should I have power to my power windows when the key is off?
The dealership changed the radio (it has power at all time) out for some strange reason and I wounder if they may have jacked up other thing related with power! Not an electrician Help.
Everything sounds normal to me. The Cambria is built on an E series Ford chassis. As such many of the accessories like the windows and radio remain active for 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off. This allows the driver to either use the accessories while waiting without having the engine running or allows them to raise the windows without turning the ignition back on.

I sometimes use the feature on our 2010 For truck to listen to the radio or lower the windows while waiting while DW does some quick shopping. If the shopping takes more than 10 minutes I have to recycle the ignition switch to get the accessories to work for another 10 minutes.

If you look at the 2009 Cambria brochure:
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/b...a-Brochure.pdf

You'll see one of the "Cab Conveniences" is a "Chassis/house battery radio power switch". This switch allows the dash radio to be powered by either the chassis or house battery. When in the "house" mode you can listen to the radio or play CD's while camping without running the chassis (starting) battery down.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I had a 2012 Cambria and now have a 2015. The drivers and passengers windows don't work if the key is off. The exception is for a short time after the key is turned to the off option. The radio is off after the key is turned off. This does not happen immediately but about 10 min later. Make sure that the "house battery switch" is not set to house. If it is the radio will be on until the switch is turned to Chassis or the battery switch is turned of at the entrance door.
I hope that you enjoy yours as much as we have ours.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I forgot to add in my previous post that opening either of the cab doors will cancel the extended time the radio and windows will work. It works this way so you don't have to be concerned that the battery will be dead when you return. There's also a time out relay for the courtesy lights. If you leave the door opened for an extended period the courtesy lights will shut off after 20 minutes to save the battery.

The "Accessory Delay" feature is described on page 22 of the E450 owners manual:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../09ecoog2e.pdf
Old 09-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #7
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I agree with Hikerdogs. The Rand McNally has life time updates free. You load an ap to you PC (you have to put the RM SD card in a card slot first) follow the instructions. If you don't have the correct card slot you can get a universal at Best Buy. It will have many different slots. I like the GPS. I had a stand alone RM before and liked it a lot. The newer coaches have the GPS turn toward the driver. This makes it much easier to read by the driver. But that makes it hard for your co-pilot to help. Always a trade off.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical