Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Electric Outlet in odd location

Just by accident I found an electric outlet in the oddest place and wonder if I am missing the point of it somehow.

Our 2015 Vista has a very narrow, deep cabinet between the wall and the shower. There is an outlet plate INSIDE the cabinet on the back wall. What would be plugged in there? The cord would have to be long enough to come from the back of the cabinet and out the door and then wrap over the top and into the mystery appliance. There isn't an access hole drilled in the cabinet top for the appliance cord to come up through. It is on the opposite side of the room from the mirror - so not good for curling, iron, hairdryer, electric razors. Any ideas? Or has no one else noticed!
John-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It is there as a UL and RVIA approved wiring slice point to connect multiple romex AC cables together. They normally use a blank for this but sometimes the electrical installers grab one with outlets on it and it works the same for making the wiring splice.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Site Team

I’ve found a 110v A/C outlet under the valance at the windshield passenger side on our 2017 Adventurer. To see it you have to sit on the dash, lean back to the windshield and then look straight up. I’m not sure how you’d use that or even reach it.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have a GFCI outlet BEHIND a drawer in the kitchen. Very convenient placement.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
Itasca owner

Look closely at it to make sure there are actual slots for plugs (and maybe test for voltage), on my itasca I've found a few outlet plates that look like outlets but they're just covers for a junction box. The plug slots are fake but look real and they're in semi-hidden locations like behind drawers or under frig.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have 3 -110v outlets above dash as well as 12 v spotlights up there. We winter in Florida. You should see the dash boards decorated at Christmas. We also have a small accent lamp that sits up there all the time, when parked. 2008 Itasca Horizon 40TD.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Well, on our 2016 Itasca Sunstar 27N, I found the same outlet and it actually has something plugged into it. The cord is passing through the back of the cabinet wall. I did a quick test and yes, it's the TV. Go figure!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveboddy View Post
Well, on our 2016 Itasca Sunstar 27N, I found the same outlet and it actually has something plugged into it. The cord is passing through the back of the cabinet wall. I did a quick test and yes, it's the TV. Go figure!
We have a 2012 30A and when Winnebago went with the Xantrex 1000w inverter. Since this inverter cannot really do too much, They decided to dedicate it to the entertainment system only. This leads to plugs that are active in slightly weird places as has been mentioned. These include, somewhere near the TV (TV's) and in the front cabinet above the passenger's seat. This one is used to power dish or other related TV accessories. It is wired so that it would be very difficult to use to power any other plugs in the RV. I am planning on installing a completely separate inverter so that when boondocking can use a few other power sources. I am also looking at places to mount 2 more batteries. Boondocking on 2 batteries, even group 31's is rather restrictive after having 4 on our previous coach.
marcusf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

That weird plug is for the living area TV - through the wall - on my rig. It is on the inverter...
Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Our Itasca has the plug next to the optional washer/dryer hookups. The narrow cabinet I've found to be a perfect gun locker if you ever need one.
Flagstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat