Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

EC 30 Controller

My wife and I recently committed to the full time life. We are the proud owners of a 2014 Adventurer 37F. I have been attempting to set my gen set to Autorun with the EC 30 module. I can not get past the "Safety - ignition on-off" setting. I've turned the ignition on and off, both starting the engine and not starting the engine. I've run through the setup info and tests and can't get anywhere. Is there a secret I'm not finding . Do I have to find a place to do service. I'm in a place right now that would afford the time if I could get in before mid July when I have commitments to be places.

Any suggestions.
Thanks

"In spite of ourselves we're the big door prize." John Prine
Itiswhatitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Did Auto on ever work? Does the gen work?

Parking brake on, ignition off, MH in Park, press AUTO GEN to get to Auto then ENTER. Works great on ours.

I would all Cummins(in Elkhart) and talk to them. I think the manual might have a trouble shooting flow chart. I also would go to a Cummins dealer rather than an RV place or call a mobile mechanic.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Auto on has never worked for me. Albeit we've only had her a few weeks. Parking brake on, ignition off, MH in Park. Press Auto Gen Readout = Ignition on off. Per the manual this is a safety feature preventing auto run until you have reset the safety (every 30 days) by following the prompt, ignition on off.

Jae and June
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
Old 06-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The gen has worked though Correct?

I would just give Cummins in Elkhart a call, they are very good about diagnosing over the phone.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Suggest you download the installation manual. The safety lead receives an electrical signal from "somewhere" - wherever it was connected to. I installed one in a Class C and rnded up connecting it to the side marker light controlled by the light switch. The wiring diagram will tell you what lead on the harness at the rear that the safety should be connected. Yours might never have been connected, become disconnected, or still connected and you can get the circuit off the winn wiring and identify it in the cabling section of the wiring diagrams. Once you get that info, you will know what the unit is expecting to receive. It is really quite simple to determine. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itiswhatitis View Post
My wife and I recently committed to the full time life. We are the proud owners of a 2014 Adventurer 37F. I have been attempting to set my gen set to Autorun with the EC 30 module. I can not get past the "Safety - ignition on-off" setting. I've turned the ignition on and off, both starting the engine and not starting the engine. I've run through the setup info and tests and can't get anywhere. Is there a secret I'm not finding . Do I have to find a place to do service. I'm in a place right now that would afford the time if I could get in before mid July when I have commitments to be places.

Any suggestions.
Thanks

"In spite of ourselves we're the big door prize." John Prine
Do you even get the 'Auto on' in the window? Remember, if 'Ignition on-off' is flashing you have not hit Enter.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Might be some info on this issue over here. There's a link within this one that also suggests a fix/resolution. Good luck with it.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/onan-...ng-388122.html
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
Happy Camper

I had a similar problem with my EC30 that I installed. I found a pin on the connector on the back of the unit had spread and didn't make the correct connection. I replaced the bad connector pin and it works fine. 2015 Itasca Sonova 35G
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Jae, did you get it working?
Old 06-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Temporarily. I went to the Cummins service center in Richmond VA and they reset the “safety” by putting power to the safety ports in the wiring harness at the controller.

Power is not being provided to the controller when any of the safety reset procedures are performed according to the manual. The told me I should bring it to the original dealer as the would be the only ones to know where the other end of the safety circuit is wired. $220 later and I’m still looking at the same problem in 30 days. Until then I have auto run
Old 06-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Winnebgo has all their diagrams online so you shoud be able to trace this yourself. If not, give Winnebago a call and talk to them. Don't go back to a dealer, that is all they are going to do.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 06-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I’ll check that out. Thanks
Old 06-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

It is a 10 minute job to fix it yourself.
Download the Cummin Onan EC-30 installation and operations manual and read the section on the safety input.
Fix it by removing the magnetic overlay on the front of the unit using a knife to get under it. Remove the two screws and pull the unit off the wall and lift it off. Disconnect the unit from the rear 16 pin wiring harness. Check you manual for pin polarities - pins 15 and 16 are the safety input. Hook up one of the light switches to the positive input and the other to a ground - all on the harness.
You are done! Reverse to reassemble.
The positive voltage from the light switch is not used by the unit beyond "sensing it" but resets the safety function whenever you turn the light on.
Hard to believe but it is that simple. MAKE SURE the connections to 15 and 16 are secure - either soldered or preferably with with crimp wire connectors. Dont use the twist connectors.
You are wasting your time calling Winnebago as once you have downloaded the manual, you will have the same info that Winn has.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:26 AM   #14
Happy Camper

EC-30 Work sheet

Here is a copy of the work sheet I made while installing my EC-30. Hope it helps you. I hope it uploaded ? If not Email me your Email and I send it to you.
[email protected]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan EC-30 Wiring.pdf (496.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thank You. It did upload
Old 06-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Winnebgo has all their diagrams online so you shoud be able to trace this yourself. If not, give Winnebago a call and talk to them. Don't go back to a dealer, that is all they are going to do.

Not true any more. They stopped publishing their detailed schematics back in 2006 or so. They are now labeled "Propitiatory" and are available to only Winnebago dealers. They find the id number of the suspect wire and look up the associated circuit in their computer. We are now required to pay big bucks to fix small electrical issues.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Problem solved. I spliced a momentary "on" switch between the power side of a light switch, in the half bath, and the positive side, #15, of the EC-30 Controller harness. $4 for the switch, $10 for a 50 ft. spool of wire. Half hour of time.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

It is what it is. Est id, quid, quid fit.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Congratulations !!!!!!! Willing to bet that you would never find a tech that could get it repaired as quickly and for the same as it cost you did. Enjoy the EC-30 keeping in mind it is a relatively complex device.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 AM   #19
Happy Camper

Glade to hear you got it working. Happy and safe motoring.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itiswhatitis View Post
Problem solved. I spliced a momentary "on" switch between the power side of a light switch, in the half bath, and the positive side, #15, of the EC-30 Controller harness. $4 for the switch, $10 for a 50 ft. spool of wire. Half hour of time.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

It is what it is. Est id, quid, quid fit.

Little late but... In SETUP/AUTO is SafeType. Here you select one of three options; ignition, break or park. Try each and see which one works for you. Exercise each after you select it and see if the EC-30 works as desired on one of them.