Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
My original flashlight still works and I use it, the batteries in the dustbuster and just about shot, been looking for replacements.
CJ7ole, Check out the Industrial Strength Dust Buster I installed.

Article Located Here:

This thing ..... naaa I won't say it!

PS: I got rid of the flashlight!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

DriVer,

I just purchased the 9.6 volt version ($30 at Walmart) and was ready to take it back as it stuck out too far when I saw your post. Mine mounts near the front door under the counter. (light still works) Thanks for the idea of mounting it sideways!

I had to relocate the light, not a big deal. The old crevice attachment and brush sort of fit so I will try them out after it gets a full charge. I added a piece of velcro near the bottom to keep it in place while traveling.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

We have a little cabinet in the galley with a Eureka dust buster. Yup it is dead. Already have central vac so I was thinking it would be a good spot to charge cell phones. The dust buster is still a nice convenience, easier than dragging out the tools for a quick pick up so maybe a new battery is in order and see if the cell charger will also fit.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Thanks for the idea of mounting it sideways ....
You're welcome! I just wrote another article and posted it my Blog about a B&D Spacemaker Coffee Maker that I just bought. Sometimes ya have to think outside of the box.

There's more than one way to skin ....... you know!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Hi All,

I wrote a comment to someone’s question about this subject back in 2004 or 5 but can’t seem to find it now. There must be a time limit on historical posts.

If I can recall correctly, anyone who has a modified sine wave inverter installed in their RV will have problems with the rechargeable flashlight and vacuum cleaner (and maybe other items as well). That’s why some say theirs have never had a problem (Adventurers) and others say that theirs have never worked (Journeys and Vectras).

The problem has to do with the way the charging system inside the flashlight and vacuum work. Instead of a transformer like in the old days, they use a capacitor tied directly to the incoming line to extract a given amount of current from a sine wave. If the power furnished to the charger is a modified sine wave (more of a funky square wave) then the charge current goes way out of site and either burns up components in the charging circuit or toasts the batteries. And yes, I know that the vacuum has an adapter but the modified sine wave overcharges the batteries and burns them up.

I modified both the flashlight and vacuum to correct this problem and got rid of the modified sine wave inverter in favor of a true sine wave unit. I haven’t had any problems since with any electrical AC devices in the coach. After replacing the inverter, you will probably need to replace the batteries in the vacuum which is actually a plus, since the newer batteries have a very much improved capacity.

If you have a Eureka Model 77, then Batteries Plus may be able to make a battery for you out of three NUN2800-CF cells. They have a machine that can spot weld the tabs onto the ends to make a battery and then heat shrink the three pack into one stick. For other models, remove the battery and take it in to see if they can make you a new one.

C NiCd Flat Top Industrial Rechargeable Cell - NUN2800-CF - Batteries Plus

I seem to remember the original battery was only 1200 mAh and when I replaced ours, I used 2100 mAh cells. The 2800’s should work even better. Enjoy!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Great post MrT. I have some electronics schooling but that was a long time ago and haven't used it much but do get the idea of sine waves. Never guessed that an inverter doesn't produce a true sine wave. So a cheap fix would be to unplug the darn thing except when connected to shore power? Easy enough to forget though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Replaced flashlight and dustvac

with a InterVac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intervac.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	3801  
Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottma View Post
with a InterVac
Can you please share your Intervac installation in this thread as well. I'm sure that it will be well received!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Can you please share your Intervac installation in this thread as well. I'm sure that it will be well received!
I just completed installing my InterVac in my 2005 Journey. I installed it in a cabinet in the kitchen that used to hold a rechargeable hand vac and flashlight. The cabinet was around a 1/4 inch too shallow but was easy to replace. I just built a new insert that was about 1/4 inch deeper. You can't go deeper than that or you will interfere with the wood flap that raises up when the slide out retracts. The outlet was already in place but the plug would not fit with the outlet attached so I just left it behind the cabinet.

It is a perfect place for the InterVac:
  1. It is in the middle of the coach making access to the entire coach easy.
  2. The cabinet has an outlet inside it.
  3. The cabinet is at floor level.
  4. The Intervac is hidden behind the cabinet door when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intervac.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	3818  
Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I had this problem in my 02 adventurer and now my 04 meridian. I fixed the problem the same way in each. I added shlves and turned it into spice storage.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Our flash light lasted about six months. The dust buster sucked from day one. Or should I say never sucked very good? Got rid of both and after seeing a friend's make over put in shelves and made mine into a liquor cabinet so now we don't need light to sip our bourbon and don't care about dust.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

scottma,

I'm glad to see you followed through with my suggestion! I haven't done ours, yet, but I see they are on sale:

Mobile Home Advantage

I guess it's time to order! I appreciate your write-up. It will make it easier to do ours.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote