Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tuesday when we arrived the house batteries were bone dry and hot. Tonight, lights dimmed and Chuck checked and the batteries were bone dry and hot.
Called Roadside Assistance. Got no where again.
Will have to call the dealer again tomorrow. At the rate we're going, we might never get to Florida

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Tuesday when we arrived the house batteries were bone dry and hot. Tonight, lights dimmed and Chuck checked and the batteries were bone dry and hot.
Called Roadside Assistance. Got no where again.
Will have to call the dealer again tomorrow. At the rate we're going, we might never get to Florida

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 12-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You may have a bad inverter or one that is set wrong. Our demented (Deminsions) inverter did the same thing to our batteries.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Do you have a VOM (Volt-Ohm meter) that you can use to check the voltage at the batteries during charging cycles and while disconnected?

If so you may want to try that to see what the actual charging voltage is and that could be the issue. This test would confirm that.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Technically, this isn't a Freightliner issue. Your house batteries are charged by the inverter/charger or converter so I'll move this topic from the Freightliner Forum over to the Winnebago Forum.

Batteries boil over from putting too much voltage into them. A 3 stage charger is designed to go into the float stage when the batteries get nearly charged. This lowers the voltage to a point where the electrolyte doesn't boil and outgas hydrogen. In your situation, which is extreme, you definitely have a bad charger that is not regulating it's voltage and you'll need to replace it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

After 5 phone calls, we finally were told it was not a freightliner problem
We have an appointment Monday at SunCoast Rv to have our MH looked at.
The refrig. is packed full of food. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats with us. Going to be tricky getting this problem taken care of.

We are now to the point where the batteries go dry every 2 hours. There is no one around here that does on site repairs. So, we are getting ready to leave early for Florida.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 12-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If you're batteries are boiling dry in 2 hours, by all means physically disconnect them right now. You have a serious potential for fire.

If what you said is true.

DISCONNECT THEM IMMEDIATELY.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you are filling batteries up to the fill mark and 2 hours later they have boiled dry you have a SERIOUS problem with the inverter/converter that is dangerous. I have never seen a battery or batteries ever lose all their water that fast unless the battery was cracked. If you have some way of adjusting voltage output on your inverter or take a reading at the batteries. Most inverters have a high rate between 14.2 and 14.8 volts then when the battery gets within 10-20% of fully charged they will drop to 13.2-13.4v until fully charged and then float at 12.4-12.8v to keep the batteries topped off.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Another likely scenario is a bad cell or cells which 'fools' the charger into thinking the batteries are discharged and telling it to pump lots of amps into the battery bank. Lots of current into cells which are charged are going to cause it to gas and boil out the electrolyte.

My money is on a bad battery(ies.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Another likely scenario is a bad cell or cells which 'fools' the charger into thinking the batteries are discharged and telling it to pump lots of amps into the battery bank. Lots of current into cells which are charged are going to cause it to gas and boil out the electrolyte.

My money is on a bad battery(ies.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John is correct. We had a similar situation caused by bad maintenance of our batteries while the coach was being serviced.

Until you get the batteries replaced you can turn down the amperage available to the charging system buy going to the 3rd button to the right on the dimensions panel and limiting the battery charge to 5 amps.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Even with a bad cell (which could fool the inverter with erronious voltage) if the inverter is boiling all or most of the water out of a battery indicates more than just a battery problem. We have chagers in our shop that will put out 200 amps and we charge large heavy equipment batteries. You cannot boil the water out of a standard size battery that fast with one of those chargers.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

To C&C R

Would you post when you find out the problem? We are curious about the cause and the cure.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We spent the day at the dealer Winnebago sent us to.
The have ordered all new batteries. Hooked up one so we could function tonight. The really wanted us to leave the coach overnight, but with two dogs and two cats, who would take us in? Chuck will take it back tomorrow for the new batteries.
We were "very" lucky we didn't have a fire. We also need to keep an eye on the refrigerator. The battery problem could have ruined that. It keeps defrosting itself.
Meyer's of Syracuse did a bad job preping and checking this thing. Those batteries should have been replaced before we took possession of this unit.
We hope this is it. First a loose wire, then this. Maybe we can enjoy this trip to Florida. If it warms up.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Carol,

Once you have the new batteries installed, be sure to have the dealer check your charging circuits (inverter/charger). If it overcharges, this may be the source of boiling your batteries dry.

On the other hand, if your coach sat on the lot for months, then the batteries could be the source of your problem. Be sure to ask to have them check both issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Gotthelf:
Even with a bad cell (which could fool the inverter with erronious voltage) if the inverter is boiling all or most of the water out of a battery indicates more than just a battery problem. We have chagers in our shop that will put out 200 amps and we charge large heavy equipment batteries. You cannot boil the water out of a standard size battery that fast with one of those chargers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It doesn't happen quickly, but it happens for a fact, particulary if there are bad cells. My original batteries were losing water due to gassing - it is really obvious when you see the tops of your batteries are wet and it hasn't rained

New batteries (Lifeline AGMs) and a Xantrex RS2000 solved the problems. I have no idea if the root cause of the problem was the charger, the batteries or both. Didn't much matter to me.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The techs at this dealership has told us more about our coach than our dealer. That's why he was concerned about our taking it last night.
I am sure they won't let the unit leave their shop until it's tip-top.
SunCoast Rv in Clermont is bending backwards for us. I want them to get credit for that.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have been involved in electronics for 50+ years. So this is kinda embarrassing.

That said, my '02 35U Suncruiser (new to me in '04) has been eating house batts every year. I put in a PD-9160 w/ CW and still the house batts died. I was putting 1/4-1/2 inch of distilled water in each cell every 2-3 weeks or (this is critical) 1000 miles.

This year, after returning from Alaska, I decided to really figure out what was going on.

I read the charging voltage comng from the alternator and it was 14.8+. Too high. I thought the alternator was shot so I took it to a local Mesa shop.

He checked it out and told me it was fine. But, the engine batt was shot. Some history, when I bought the RV, I replaced the converter, put in 2-6V batts and, I thought, a new engine battery. Actually, I didn't replace the engine batt.

I had only added water to the engine batt 1-2X in 3+ years so I never gave it a thought.

Seems the engine batt had a shorted cell and was demanding voltage/current. Since the alternator also charges the house batts, they were being killed by the overcharge. I don't know why the engine batt was not needing water but it wasn't. (perhaps one of you out there can answer).

Anyway, all seems to be working fine now. A 4 day stint at Quartzsite next month will tell the tale. Maybe I can get more than one day from the house batts for lights.

dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
--snip--
Seems the engine batt had a shorted cell and was demanding voltage/current. Since the alternator also charges the house batts, they were being killed by the overcharge. I don't know why the engine batt was not needing water but it wasn't. (perhaps one of you out there can answer).--snip--
dean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dean - that's a great revelation! I overlooked the engine alternator as a potential source of an overcharge.

Don't have a clue why the bad battery wasn't losing water. If it doesn't accept a charge, then it won't gas, so

Old 12-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

The funny thing is, I never had a problem starting the WH 8.1.

dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote