Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Driver Dome Lamp

Driver dome lamp on our 2005 Itasca Horizon 40KD will not come on. I have tried most all the combinations of headlight switches and ignition switch. The fixture itself does not have a switch. I have checked and both power wire and ground wire have continuity with the fixture. I have checked the wiring schematic and the fixture runs back to a “dome lamp relay”. I assume this relay would be with the other DC relays and circuit breakers in the front left bay, but I could not find it. Does anybody have any ideas on what else I can check or where I can look for this relay?

John
Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have seen on some the headlight pull switch if it has one, try the dimmer for the gauge cluster some have a wheel on the dash that will turn. hope that helps
Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

nightriderrv, I have tried all the headlight switch, dimmer/dome lamp switch, and ignition switch combinations I could come up with and had no luck...

John
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I didn't see where you said you changed the bulb.

Have you tried a bulb that you know works?

And also did it ever work since you've had the coach?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you are referring to the map light above the driver seat, the switch is the dash headlight switch. Turn it until it "clicks/stops". If it doesn't turn on the light, check the bulb. (Doing this from memory, not at my RV. If the headlight switch doesn't rotate, try the dash dimmer light, but pretty sure it's the headlight switch.) The key is you have to rotate the switch until it clicks.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

As has been said the dash light dimmer switch should turn on the light over the drivers left shoulder when it set to 'full bright'.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Changing the bulb with one from a working lamp was my first try at getting it to work. I have also set the dimmer switch to dome position (as well as all others) (sorry I didn't make myself clear). Still nada.

This is why I was asking about the location of the "dome lamp relay" that I traced back to in the electrical schematics.

This lamp has not worked since we have had the coach (new to us since September 2016).

John
Old 01-22-2017, 12:43 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Did you check the 10amp dome light blade fuse in the box in the bay? There isn't a dome light relay that I could find on the layouts in the Chassis Operator manual, just the fuse. Maybe consider giving FCCC a call; they are great at helping with this type of issue.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My RV is the same and I turn it on by twisting the headlight switch counter clockwise till it stops. Took me a while and had to come to irv2 to figure it out.

Sent from my XT1254 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

emiddleb, the fuse panel in my Freightliner manual does not match the panel in my coach. The panel in the manual on the FCCC website is a much more closer match (see attached picture). All of that to say, there's not a dome lamp fuse (that I can find) in the panel in the front left bay. I also could not locate another DC fuse panel on the coach.

Any other ideas? If not I will take the advice to call Freightliner and see what they have to say.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have never seen a "Dome lamp relay" only the dimmer switch, or some other switch.. Often if you use a volt meter or test lamp you will find the lamp is "Hot" (power to it all the time) but no guarantee of that. Then it GROUNDS through whatever turns it on.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

John, on mine... one of the two covered fuse boxes in the bay has a layout of 4x4 blade fuses on the left, then 2 large relays (one over each other) then two sets of 2x3 relays on the right.

In the 4x4 on the left, the first fuse on the left, 2nd row from the top, is a 10amp fuse that is marked in my layout as for my dome light.

Not sure if this matches yours or not. Best I have...
Old 01-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Have not figured my 2003 Adventurer Map Light either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
My RV is the same and I turn it on by twisting the headlight switch counter clockwise till it stops. Took me a while and had to come to irv2 to figure it out.

Sent from my XT1254 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Mine only works when the driver door is opened????????? This has stumped me for quite some time?????
Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all to replied. I contacted FCCC (courteous customer service) and they sent the chassis wiring schematic that included the headlight wiring. Checked the headlamp control module and had voltage at the dome light connection. So it appears I have an open circuit between there and the dome lamp. Will probable just rewire the lamp with a switch like the passenger side.

Thank again to all,
John
Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the update.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdavie View Post
Mine only works when the driver door is opened????????? This has stumped me for quite some time?????
DASH dimmer control should turn it on as well. Turn the dash control to full bright, then a little farther ( it will click ) and it comes on. Good luck.
ps. I swapped my map lights over to LED's with 24 cree boards. Super bright now!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver