Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Door awning power kit

Hello,
I have an Oasis Elite 42” door awning. There’s already a switch in the coach. Would there be a kit to convert the manual crank to power?
2003 Itasca 34HD
Thanks,
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Update

Just got a ladder to get a closer look! The awning is an electric one. Now I just have to figure out the power supply issue.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The door and main awnings are both controlled by a box that should be installed in a nearby bay. Mine is in the bay right behind the front door, yours may be different. You may have two switches involved, one that toggles between "door" and "awning" and the other that is "in" and "out."
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I found the box you are referring to in the front lower bay. Unfortunately mine only controls the main/large awning. Didn’t see another one or switch.
Thanks!
Old 09-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Well, in the 03 Horizon brochure, the power door awning is listed as an option, not standard equipment. Yours may not have that feature.

On my bank of switches by the entry door, there is an "Awning Selector" switch that toggles between door and awning, and beneath that is an "Awning Control" switch that does the in/out movement. If you don't have both, likely you don't have the power door awning feature. Mine is your sister ship, just one year newer, so should be similar.

So getting back to original question, converting yours over to electric would probably not be easy. You'd have to run power to the awning and add some switches somewhere. And the power switching would require reversing polarity or whatever the control box does to make the motor run forwards and backwards to move the awning in and out. If your existing control box supports a door awning, you'd probably have to interface it with the door awning. Quite a project.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! My coach does have the “Awning - Patio/door” rocker switch. Now with the better understanding, I need to see what the culprit is.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Blkbart,
May I ask, just exactly WHAT is the problem? Is your door awing extending ok but, not retracting, not extending, what?

You see, the control box that is in your lower bay, quite possibly IS the power supply for that door awning. And, I'd have to see more information from you but, it's also the power supply for your main awning. I won't go into more detail on all this 'till I hear from you. What I'd need to see is, a picture of that control box. If it looks like mine, I'll tell you all of what I just went through on both the door awning and the main awning.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3261.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	172239  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Fire Up thanks for the response to my dilemma. My coach appears to have the wiring for the power door awning. It has the porch/door switch and well as the in/out toggle switch. The door awning itself is marked as a power unit. I'll try to post picture or two when I get posting pictures figured out.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkbart View Post
Fire Up thanks for the response to my dilemma. My coach appears to have the wiring for the power door awning. It has the porch/door switch and well as the in/out toggle switch. The door awning itself is marked as a power unit. I'll try to post picture or two when I get posting pictures figured out.
Hey Bart,
So, does your control box look like mine?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Old receipt

Going through some old receipts. Seems the coach was taken to a dealership some years ago and they had issues with the power door awning and set it up for manual use 🥴. Probably not feasible to even fix it 😬.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #11

Where is the fuse to my Weather Pro -- Fiamma/Dometic Awning?

I have the same awning and control box.

And sometime when my door awning or my big awning does not go out, or does not retract, I just clean the wire connections located above the control box and it starts working again.

I don't know if this is a bad ground problem or not?

My concern is if one day I'm operating the awning motor and I blow a fuse. ...And I can't retract my awning. What then?

A) Does anyone know where this fuse is located or is it tied in with a "pop-out" resettable breaker in my chassis fuse box area?

Someone once told me the power is tied into the Kwikee Step. Is this true?

B) What is the manual retract procedure for the big awning?

Note: I now make it a practice to NOT fully extend the awnings, thinking this reduces the amount of work the big awning motor has to do to retract.

* And if anyone's door awning motor just spins, I wrote a fix-it post on how you can DIY for 60 cents! This awning goes by several names, but it is made by Fiamma and marketed by Dometic.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/one-...ml#post3693945

PS
There is a mini-switch on the back of the box you can't easily see, but can feel with your hands. What does it do? ...In either position, I don't notice a change. ...Just beeping and it doesn't matter what the wind speed is.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
A) Does anyone know where this fuse is located or is it tied in with a "pop-out" resettable breaker in my chassis fuse box area?

I've not had time to run it down fully but there does seem to be some "hints" I've found.
First checking the Wire ID list here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

I hit ctrl "F" and searched for awning to get a list of 83 points it is mentioned in the list! So running down the list, I found a listing for FFE and FFD as battery and ground to the awning control!

So if a guy goes to the 12VDC drawings for your RV here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_145020.pdf

On Sheet 1 Frame 2 (S1F2) I see the wire lead FFD on the left side about where D and 16 would cross.
This wire FFD leads to a plug that says located left front compartment with a note 5 to see auto drawings for more info.

Lots of guess involved but that would lead me to believe this big plug and wire bundle go to a fuse/breaker feeding the auto section which we get little info on from the Winnebago drawings.

Guessing there and not had time to run it further but that might make more sense if you can look at the RV and see if it meets what this drawing seems to show?

Ground for this circuit seems to show on the first page as FFE at about A3 with a triangle showing a note #3. To find note 3 we have to go to the last page of this drawing S1 F3 at bottom left at A24.

Boiled down, my thinking is that they do not show a plug to meet this big plug, so that implies to me that it becomes part of the chassis wiring as they do show the meeting plugs and locations when it is still meeting more Winnebago wiring!

Isn't that taking a lot of space to say," I don't know where" ?
But the best guess here is that it will be in a panel for the chassis stuff, not one that has the RV/coach electrons.

It's a needle in that haystack somewhere????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	178721   Click image for larger version

Name:	front left compartment.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	178722  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags