Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Does Generator Charge BOTH Sets of Batteries

When we looked at the MH we are about to buy. I think it has been sitting for awhile.......

We got the Generator to start but the engine would not start and it looked like the engine batteries where not charging off the generator? That did not seem right..... I looked at the panel and it showed house batteries 14.2 volts but when I switched to the Engine batteries it only showed 7.3 volts?

We got the engine to finely start but the salesman held the booster battery switch for about 5 minutes.....

It seems to me that the generator should charge ALL the batteries?

Thanks LeeB
Old 11-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Some do, and some don't.

Generally speaking, older mh's lacked the electrical circuitry to charge both.

That is why the trik-l-start was a popular add on.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I am not sure which MH you were looking at. In my rig the genny does not charge the Chassis battery. It only charges the coach batteries (and the disconnect switch must be on). However, sounds like the booster switch worked well! the MBS I have does not have that option. I have a Trik-L-Start installed to charge the chassis battery from the coach batteries if on shore power/solar/genny
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
When we looked at the MH we are about to buy. I think it has been sitting for awhile.......

We got the Generator to start but the engine would not start and it looked like the engine batteries where not charging off the generator? That did not seem right..... I looked at the panel and it showed house batteries 14.2 volts but when I switched to the Engine batteries it only showed 7.3 volts?

We got the engine to finely start but the salesman held the booster battery switch for about 5 minutes.....

It seems to me that the generator should charge ALL the batteries?

Thanks LeeB
LeeB: I think you will find that "most" of the WBGO gassers do NOT have the chassis battery charged by the genset or shore power, both of which come thru the ATS. They rely on US to buy a Trik-L-Start device that connects the house batteries to the chassis battery to provide a trickle charge to the chassis battery IF the coach batteries are sufficiently charged, as they would be when on shore power or generator. I think you will also find that WBGO provides the Trik-L-Start as standard equipment on their DP coaches, or at least they used to do so. That chassis battery must have been really dead for the boost switch to take that long before the engine would start, and I'm glad the salesman knew enough to hold the boost engaged- some don't.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve COH View Post
Some do, and some don't.

Generally speaking, older mh's lacked the electrical circuitry to charge both.

That is why the trik-l-start was a popular add on.

HA AH..... Now I remember I installed the Tril-L-Start/Charge on my 2013 View...... This will be going on the bucket list of things to do.....
The salesman said that 1 of the test that get done is Load Check to insure the batteries are good....

Thanks LeeB
Old 11-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Both Generator and shore power charge the same way. Via the converter (Or Inverter/Charger if that's what you have).

On SOME motor homes (mine for example) equipped with a Bi-directional Isolation Relay Device.. They charge all batteries.. So does the engine alternator.

ON others the Isolator is one way.> Engine charges all. Shore/Generator only house.

I've run jumper cables between them on occasion when the EMERGENCY Start/BOOST/AUX Start switch was too much tribble. You should not hold that for more than 30 seconds on 30 seconds off by the way.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You might want to give us more information as to what year, make and model motorhome you're talking about. Your profile shows you have a Holiday Rambler. As for the Winnebago line of products it all depends on the year and model. Our 2001 Adventurer did not charge the chassis battery from shore power, our 2013 Adventurer does.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Lee;

I believe edgray answered your question well. When I purchased my Horizon it did not charge the chassis battery on generator or shore power. I purchased a Trik-L-Start and hardwired it in and now the chassis battery is always fully charged. I understand the newer WGO units have this feature factory installed.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Amp-L-Start

It should be mentioned that the Trik-L-Start has a new big brother, the Amp-L-Start. It is an upgraded heavy-duty model. That's what I installed in my rig just recently.

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1220.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	113041  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone...... Amp-L-Start or Trik-L-Start is on my bucket list along with adding 2 more batteries so we will have 4 house total.....
Old 11-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Lee, i see you have more than a 1000 postings. It would be helpful if you added year make & model to your signature.

If you have AGM coach batteries, they are a lot more sensitive to charging/discharging parameters and you need to make sure you're not overcharging them. Winnebago uses a Precision Instruments "Battery Isolation Manager" on their big all electric coaches that have 6 agm batteries. This device will charge either coach or engine batteries from either shore power, generator, or engine alternator according to priority and demand.

When we installed a Samsung residential refrigerator I also installed 4 agm batteries. One year later I had to replace the 4 agm batteries after the Dimensions 2k inverter/charger and/or engine alternator cooked the batteries. Thank God I was able to get them replaced under warranty or I would of been out $1100.

Here's the device I bought for around $150:

Tags
batteries, generator