Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does all the wiring in the coach run off the coach batteries

I want to install a autonet mobile kit in the rv for wireless internet. Of course for it to be effective it needs to be on all the time if I travel or if I'm parked plugged into shore power. So, for instance if I grab the cigarette plugin and wire to that does that run off the coach batteries even when plugged into shore power?
captgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would say yes, but to check just un plug from shore power and turn the bats off switch for your house bats and see if it cig plug is still hot. I am sure the dash plug will be, but anyothers you have back in the rig may not. Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

All the 12VDC in the living area of the coach should run of the house batteries. The stuff in the dashboard will run off the chassis batteries unless deliberately switched over. In mr MH, there's a switch to change the radio to house power, but I've never checked what else might be on it.

You can get a cig plug with an indicator light built in and go round checking what cig sockets are on. Some around the dash area may even be on the ignition circuit.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

when I built my bus, I wired all my 12 volt power ports to a 3 way switch, house battery.off.start battery. key has to be on to run on start battery, this way i nwever have to worry about killing the start bat, hard to get CAA to come out in the boonies for a boost
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you go here Winnebago Wiring Diagrams you can get full wiring diagrams for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
when I built my bus, I wired all my 12 volt power ports to a 3 way switch, house battery.off.start battery. key has to be on to run on start battery, this way i nwever have to worry about killing the start bat, hard to get CAA to come out in the boonies for a boost
gbstewart
A home brew RV would hardly be indicative of a production model.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

A dashboard ciggy outlet can be either house or chassis, Mine is chassis all the other 12 volt outlets in my rig are house.

What you should do is forget the flakey 12 volt "ciggy" type outlets and grab power straight off the fuse box... That way

1: You have a solid connection, no "Dangs it is not making contact again" (my dash socket is very bad about that,, I need to work on it but it's hard to do in this rig (Wife issues She blocks access)

2: You will KNOW it's on the house system, charged by engine when moving, by park power when parked.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I hardwired my air card and Cradlepoint wireless router in to a dash cig lighter circuit. Going directly to the fuse panel would have probably been a better idea but tapping in to the wires behind the dash seemed easier at the time.

This is powered by the chassis batteries which also charge while driving or while plugged in to shore power.

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, wiring