Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Docking lights vs Backing lights

2008 Destination 39w DP
Hi All,
New to this form as i switched from a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind gas
to the above.
A backup light apparently went out. These are 3 wire lamps. The rig is now parked with the slides out.
Is there any way to test the backup lights other than starting the engine and putting it in Reverse. Will the jacks then retract?
There is also a switch on the dash that is labeled Docking Lights. What lights should it be turning on. It dosent seem to affect the backup lights or an yother light and there are no sidelights.
stuck in first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would expect docking lights to be a light on each side in the vicinity of the rear wheel wells, pointing out and to the rear. They may only activate when reverse is engaged.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

No lites on the side except marker small amber lights
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

stuck in first, for the docking lights look up high on each side about 3 ft from the rear, they are the same as the porch light fixture.
The wiring diagram only shows 2 wires on the backup lights. Here is a link to the drawing.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_160538.pdf
Don't know about starting the engine and putting it in gear with the jacks down. I would think they would come up and the air bags would inflate. Don't think I would try it.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Docking are probably the rear porch lights judging from the brochure online. Pull the bulb in the backup light and check it with a continuity meeter if a visual inspection does not reveal a broken filament. If only one does not work chances are the bulb is burned out or the socket needs cleaning.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

grtharris & neilv who would of thought. I would turn the switch on and look at the back of the rig. Works just like you said. Thanks
Both backup lights have a 3 pin plug and do not come on with the docking light switch. Looked at the diagram and it does show 2 wires(link was great). When I get a chance to do some tests I will report my findings
Old 07-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in first View Post
grtharris & neilv who would of thought. I would turn the switch on and look at the back of the rig. Works just like you said. Thanks
Both backup lights have a 3 pin plug and do not come on with the docking light switch. Looked at the diagram and it does show 2 wires(link was great). When I get a chance to do some tests I will report my findings
"Noraml" back-up lights have two wires, "Normal" brake/tail lights have three wires. The filiament used for the brakes is the brighter of the two filaments.
It is very possible the mfg. used the same bulb & socket for both brake/tail AND backup lights....just with a clear lens for backup..and only wired up the bright filament. This would likely be a 1157 bulb.

Regards,

Dan
Old 07-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

stuck in first, The lamps are "Peterson Manufacturing M415" and the spec say,
"The 12-volt lamps have been designed with a dual filament, 2.10 amp and a 32 cp bulb. The low light function is for accessory use only".
Old 07-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When I had our Fleetwood the docking lights were seperate from the back up lights. I had a switches on the dash that turned them on and I did not have to start the coach to do it. I say switches (3) because we had docklights on both sides of the coach and the rear also.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan, Grant & Steve
Grant you are spot on. it is a Peterson Mfg M415. One filament comes on in reverse but I'm not sure what activates the second filament. Talked to Peterson and it is discontinued. I'll try Amazon and truck-lite. Any round white fixture that fits the hole should work. Original was a sealed unit so you cant just replace the bulb.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

stuck in first, can you see the Winnebago wire numbers on the wires? If so what are the letters at the end on each wire number? One should be TP and one should be TR whats the third.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Grant
Removed both lights. Each has a yellow and white wire. Though there are 3 pin receptors on each unit only two are used. the third pin on each plug has been removed. Gee only took 3 days to look at the harness. LOL
No TP or TR on the wires. Maybe cause they are actually color coded?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in first View Post
Grant
Removed both lights. Each has a yellow and white wire. Though there are 3 pin receptors on each unit only two are used. the third pin on each plug has been removed. Gee only took 3 days to look at the harness. LOL
No TP or TR on the wires. Maybe cause they are actually color coded?
Hey stuck in first,
Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, utilizes the same style tail light assemblies for all three functions, running lights, brake/turn lights and, back up lights. The sockets and bulbs, are all the same. They (Winnebago and Itasca) just wired them in such a manner that the correct function will work when asked for.

Yes, I too have a dual filament 1157 style (only ours is the later version of the 1157, I think it's a 35XX something, I'll have to check) bulbs for back up lamps and, the lower or, smaller filament is in-active.

As for docking lamps, on our coach, they are 20 Watt Halogen, G-4 based bulbs, located just over the left and right duals of the coach. They light up the side/rear of each side, if and when the switch is turned on, when the ignition is turned on too.

Now, as for your trying to activate any lighting while parked and the jacks are down by starting the engine. Depending on the maker of your jacks and, how they're tied in to the ignition/air system, they may or, may not auto-retract upon the turning on the ignition.

On ours, if we're parked and the jacks are down, there is an automatic retraction of the jacks and, automatic filling of the air bags if, the engine is started and, the parking brake is released. The parking brake facilitates the interlock for multiple operations, including HWH levelers, daytime running lights and more.

So, trying to activate either your back up lamps or, docking lights with the ignition only on, (no engine running) may or may not have detrimental effects. Further investigation of your particular system is warranted before maybe trying some of those experiments. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
On ours, if we're parked and the jacks are down, there is an automatic retraction of the jacks and, automatic filling of the air bags if, the engine is started and, the parking brake is released. ...
Scott
Hi Scott,

Are you sure about that automatic jack retraction? I pretty sure mine don't do that...

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Hi Scott,

Are you sure about that automatic jack retraction? I pretty sure mine don't do that...
Hey Chris,
Well Sir, I'm about 99.9999% sure about that because, I'd have to go back into my manuals for HWH to confirm that it states that, if you were to forget (by some absent minded phenomena) that you left the jacks down and, fired up the coach, and put it in drive and, released the parking brake, that the HWH system sees that and, automatically starts retracting the jacks and, filling the air bags. It's a safety thing. I'll confirm and get back here with the info.

Since the parking brake provides the interlock ground connection for the HWH system to work in the first place, it makes sense that, if the parking brake is released, the HWH system no longer can be used. Again, I will confirm. I have a buddy that actually uses that method to retract his jacks.

He's got an '01 Journey 36' DL and, when he's ready to leave his camp spot, he fires up his coach, puts in drive, releases the parking brake and, the jacks automatically raise and, the bags start to fill. At that point, he shuts down the engine and, sets the parking brake. It all takes him about a few seconds to do.
Scott

On edit:
I just cruised on over to one of my HWH manuals and found this:

NOTE: Releasing the park brake to return the suspension to travel mode (vehicle to ride height) is not recommended for normal operation. This is a fail safe if the "STORE" button is not used to retract the jacks.

It is saying it's NOT RECOMMENDED but, never the less, the system will auto retract the jacks and, fill the bags if, the parking brake is released. At least that's what I'm interpreting it as.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Scott,
My backup lights are separate units near the bottom of the rig. They are sealed units so you must replace the whole fixture. No bulb to replace. My docking lights will come on when I flip the switch without the key in the ign.
Starting the engine will NOT cause the jacks to retract. Hoping someone had a similar unit so I could learn from their experence.
I will remove the things I have under the rig, move the stuff in the way of the slides, retract the slides, retract the levelers, and with the parking on put it into reverse while depressing the brake pedal. After doing the electrical test about 5 min, reverse the whole process. Just seems a bit excessive to check a simple circuit
Thanks for all the reply's. I have learned many things. Onward we go!

Tags
light, lights