Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Docking Lights

Anyone out there replaced their aft looking, side mounted docking lights? I have 2 very corroded units and a state inspection looming.

Any information on how they are mounted and the bulbs replaced would be very helpful.

TIA.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Don't believe mine have ever been checked during state inspection. They check head, tail, brake, and all the clearance lights. Docking lights are not required, to not checked in my experience ...in fact, I've only used mine a time or two since they won't stay on unless the rig is in reverse!!! They would be quite useful if I could turn them on while doing a night parking gig and they would stay on even when I am outside checking the setup.

I have wondered if they are sealed units. I had to retape hanging wiring on one of mine. You can take the screws out at the bottom of the wheel well fiberglass panel and it is hinged to pull up and open for easier access.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately, here in Virginia, all lights must work. I've already failed one inspection 2 years ago for a bad docking light. Now the other is bad and I'm trying to find a replacement for it before it's time for the inspection.

Me replacing it has to be cheaper than them replacing it.

Thanks.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We lived in VA when we bought our coach. It was inspected by a large truck tire place the first year and a Western Auto location the next two times. I know they did not check the docking lamps as I was there each time ...at Western Auto I was in the driver seat activating whatever lights, horn ect they asked for. Wonder if they would insist a factory installed spot light had to work to pass inspection?? Different strokes for different inspectors I guess...

I guess they do get high labor fees for changing bulbs at the point of inspection. Maybe you could remove the lights and cap the holes (or just cap/cover the lights so it looks like they are not there). Seems crazy they have to work as they are not required by law and they DO NOT work when the vehicle is in normal operation ...only when backing up and they are manually turned on!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua40j View Post
Anyone out there replaced their aft looking, side mounted docking lights? I have 2 very corroded units and a state inspection looming.

Any information on how they are mounted and the bulbs replaced would be very helpful.

TIA.
if your are like mine, an oval at many places online that sell trailer lights etc.

i like the idea of leaving them on, while i wlak around and see whats there.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jim ... have you found out how to replace the bulb in these things??? ...I tried to use mine last week for the first time in a couple of years and found one does not work ...it was nice that the one that DOES work is on the side where I needed to do the hookups, etc. Since mine have never been an inpection issue I'm not too bent on fixing it, but if it is relatively easy to do I might...
Old 11-21-2009, 03:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Change inspection locations. I've never had docking ligthts checked in VA.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a docking light repaired at Forest City in 2006. $26.20 parts, $76.50 labor. The whole sealed bulb unit had to be replaced. Good luck with today's prices.

2004 Vectra 40AD
VectraDon is offline   Reply With Quote