Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2005, 03:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Gosh - I continue to discover things about the coach! I found out while checking headlamps, foglamps, etc. that the docking lamps will only turn on with the ignition OFF. What good would they be while you are static?

Is this the way they are supposed to operate?

(The docking lamps I am referring to are the round ones angled, facing aft and about four feet off the ground - one per side)

Thanks - John
Horizon 40AD

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Gosh - I continue to discover things about the coach! I found out while checking headlamps, foglamps, etc. that the docking lamps will only turn on with the ignition OFF. What good would they be while you are static?

Is this the way they are supposed to operate?

(The docking lamps I am referring to are the round ones angled, facing aft and about four feet off the ground - one per side)

Thanks - John
Horizon 40AD

Old 06-18-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Mine come on with ignition off, or with ignition on and transmission selector in reverse.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks Paul - I'll bet mine work in reverse as well. Probably designed to eliminate the possibility of driving down the road with them on.

John

Old 06-18-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Thanks Paul - I'll bet mine work in reverse as well. Probably designed to eliminate the possibility of driving down the road with them on.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I guess that is a ok idea but when you are docking in the dark it sure would help you park just right where you wanted to if the area was lit up, as in shining on the hook up box, my old southwind had the docking light that would eluminate the utility area while parking, this feature was indeed useful to me as we had at times got at campgrounds after dark. So having the lite come on only while the key is off or in reverse is just about useless, I would override that safety feature just for convienence. You may need the lite while you are pulling foward.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

John, I'd just move the wire that feeds the switch. On my Bus they were wired to the ignition. That's great for parking at night but if I want to light up the area to see what just went "bump" in the night I didn't want to turn on the ignition and listen to all the "jacks down" and "low air" alarms so I relocated it to the accessory side of the key switch.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi Mark - mine will work with the ignition off, so that's a good thing. I hadn't thought about using the docking lights for perimeter checking - good idea.

John

Old 06-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

John,

That is the way my 03 39 QD works as well. Wow, you are really having fun. Enjoy it.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote