Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
AndrewnPam

Do we need a Extra Surge Protection?

We have a 2011 Itasca Ellipse 40BD and need to understand if we need to purchase a Surge Protector for this unit.

We are not sure if we have one built in or not. Can someone give us information on this for our RV and year and IF you recommend to purchase one for our vehicle?

We understand if we purchase a surge protector with a system that already has a built in surge protection/power monitoring system we could damage our existing protection or give false signals to the PMS. We don't want to take any chances BUT we will need to get a surge protector if we don't have one built in ASAP.
AndrewnPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #2

This was discussed on the Winnie forum back in 2012. So many great people no longer around :(

Here’s the link. http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...us-132455.html
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewnPam View Post
We have a 2011 Itasca Ellipse 40BD and need to understand if we need to purchase a Surge Protector for this unit.

We are not sure if we have one built in or not. Can someone give us information on this for our RV and year and IF you recommend to purchase one for our vehicle?

We understand if we purchase a surge protector with a system that already has a built in surge protection/power monitoring system we could damage our existing protection or give false signals to the PMS. We don't want to take any chances BUT we will need to get a surge protector if we don't have one built in ASAP.

My Meridian has never suffered with surge problems. The EMS seems to have built in protection. It even shuts the power down if it detects a brow out condition. I have experienced this a few times now. I got a TRC voltage regulator from a friend who retired from RVing. That helps with the potential brow out conditions.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Power surges are the least of your worries. Low voltage, bad grounds, mis-wired pedestals, poor neutrals, high voltage, and so on. These are the conditions that can damage your electronics and electrical powered appliances.

What you need to add is an EMS system. The Progressive Industries HW50C is one example of what you want to add between the shore power pedestal and your transfer switch. These systems do checks on the the incoming power and will disconnect you before damage is done. They also provide superior surge protection.
Highly recommended.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Power surges are the least of your worries. Low voltage, bad grounds, mis-wired pedestals, poor neutrals, high voltage, and so on. These are the conditions that can damage your electronics and electrical powered appliances.

What you need to add is an EMS system. The Progressive Industries HW50C is one example of what you want to add between the shore power pedestal and your transfer switch. These systems do checks on the the incoming power and will disconnect you before damage is done. They also provide superior surge protection.
Highly recommended.
Agree. The portable unit allows us to check the campground power before we ever plug in. We have avoided trouble twice in our years of travel. Worth the money for peace of mind, IMO.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Found this site on a search. http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...gy-management/

Seems to be what is in my coach. Figuring out what you need is another story.

This site might be uesful: Energy Management System Upgrade
Old 06-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The PCS system is perfect for managing 30 amp incoming power in a 50 amp coach and might already be installed in the OPs coach. This has nothing to do with protecting the coach with from all of the vagaries of incoming shore power which is the job of the EMS/Surge systems like the Progressive Industries unit.

My Phaeton was equipped with the PCS system to manage electrical loads when not on 50 amp shore power and a Progressive Industries unit to manage all of the nasties you get with campground wiring.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Agree. The portable unit allows us to check the campground power before we ever plug in. We have avoided trouble twice in our years of travel. Worth the money for peace of mind, IMO.
Agree. We use the Progressive Industries 30 amp model. After you plug into the campground power it takes a bit over a minute to analyze the incoming power before it allows it to access the coach power cord. Because of the numerous campgrounds we use you can never rest assured that all is well every time. Highly recommend this item.
joanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Get a good surge protector. Progressive Industries is a terrific brand. Lifetime guarantee and no red tape to get it fixed. You send it in and they send you another one or repair it. Cheap insurance
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If a former owner hardwired a portable in as we did in 1 of our coaches it will be in the bay where your cord comes out, probably you don't have 1 and is necessary, saved our bacon many times. we even use a portable on our lil MH and it doesn't have near the electronics our coaches had.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2012 Tour 42QD. Its my understanding that the transfer switch does have surge protection but I also have a protector on the pedestal. I have this for two reasons:

1. As stated you want to check the shore power before plugging in which my surge protector does.
2. Even with a built in surge protector its my view that you want to keep this outside of the coach. Not sure what a lightening strike might do but I certainly don't want it to make it inside the coach. Having the surge protector on the pedestal seems to be a better way to go.

While a good surge protector is not inexpensive its pretty cheap compared to the price of the coach.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Purchase a EMS and hard wire it inline and mount it in your power cord bay the Progressive units are veery good and easily install.
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #13

I’m with Chmie. Hard wire inside a storage area. The plugins are too easy to steal.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
I’m with Chmie. Hard wire inside a storage area. The plugins are too easy to steal.
You can lock the portable to the pole if you feel it's necessary, but we never have.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

The Precision Circuits " Energy Mgt System" is really only a "load shedding" system that will disconnect some elements in the RV when the power is needed elsewhere. Typically operates on a 30 amp or lower electrical system serving a unit with a 50 amp input. It does not offer any protection against high or low voltages, missing neutrals, surges, etc. Go with a Progressive Industries EMS for the best in electrical protection as many have suggested. You will still need and use the load shedding system when connected to power circuits less than 50a. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
I have a lock that I keep in the compartment with my electrical plug. Most pedestals have a "loop" for a lock. Pretty easy to lock it up.