Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Do I Have The Right Kind Of Inverter?

I am sure my inverter is the one that came with my MH when it was built. But my No-cold is going out and I want ti install a Residential Refrigerator. GE 14.6 Energy Star but I not sure what kind of inverter I have... Is it MSW or PSW????????/

Thanks LeeB
Old 02-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I am sure my inverter is the one that came with my MH when it was built. But my No-cold is going out and I want ti install a Residential Refrigerator. GE 14.6 Energy Star but I not sure what kind of inverter I have... Is it MSW or PSW????????/

Thanks LeeB

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/b...ridian-bro.pdf

Well the brochure says only a 300 watt came standard with a 2000 watt optional. Does yours have a remote display?

I would guess that back in 2004, it was most probably a MSW if you even have the larger optional one.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Can you read the make and model numbers off the inverter, then it can be googled.

Based on the age of your coach and the make, I would bet it's a Modified Sine wave which were most common at that timeframe.

You want a Pure Sine Wave to avoid burning up the electronic controls common in today's appliances.

Something like a Magnum MS2000 is a good solid inverter/converter.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the responses........ Looks like I am going to need a new inverter......
Old 02-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

LeeB,
The standard 2000 watt inverter being installed in yours and our coaches back then was a Dimensions 2000W Inverter/Charger. That's if yours was outfitted with the larger one. I've got a couple of buddies that have 34H Meridians, an '05 and an '06 and both have the Dimensions 2000W Inverter/Charger.

Those Inverter/Chargers were labled as "Quazi-wave" Inverters which, as I understand it, is the same as a MSW inverter. IF, you have that model, before I'd go running out and spend high dollars for a new PSW Inverter/Charger, I'd see if that one is just fine for a Residential fridge. You're looking at around $2200-$2500 for a PSW Inverter/Charger. At least for a Magnum that is. I don't know about any other ones like Xantrex or, any number of other ones.

Second, a very large percentage of folks that convert to a residential fridge, actually install a SECOND Inverter that will have sole responsibility of running that res fridge, and not do additional duty of running the rest of the coach, as yours (if you have the option for the larger one) does now. They also add more batteries just for the duty of keeping that res fridge going.

I'm only quoting what I've read on many RV threads that pertain to conversions to Residential fridges, not from personal experience. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post

Thanks LeeB
Dump your Demented MSW Inverter. Buy a Magnum MS2012. Form Factor is almost the same. Your batteries, refer, convection microwave, etc. will love it.

If you can, purchase the ME-ARC panel.

I have these components. Our Frigidaire 18.3 cu ft refer is fine with it. So is the rest of the coach, including my AGM house batteries and my 400 watts of PV solar.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
LeeB,
The standard 2000 watt inverter being installed in yours and our coaches back then was a Dimensions 2000W Inverter/Charger. That's if yours was outfitted with the larger one. I've got a couple of buddies that have 34H Meridians, an '05 and an '06 and both have the Dimensions 2000W Inverter/Charger.

Those Inverter/Chargers were labled as "Quazi-wave" Inverters which, as I understand it, is the same as a MSW inverter. IF, you have that model, before I'd go running out and spend high dollars for a new PSW Inverter/Charger, I'd see if that one is just fine for a Residential fridge. You're looking at around $2200-$2500 for a PSW Inverter/Charger. At least for a Magnum that is. I don't know about any other ones like Xantrex or, any number of other ones.

Second, a very large percentage of folks that convert to a residential fridge, actually install a SECOND Inverter that will have sole responsibility of running that res fridge, and not do additional duty of running the rest of the coach, as yours (if you have the option for the larger one) does now. They also add more batteries just for the duty of keeping that res fridge going.

I'm only quoting what I've read on many RV threads that pertain to conversions to Residential fridges, not from personal experience. Good luck.
Scott
You are spot on as far as the Converter/Inverter 2000 watt goes that is exactly what I have. I had planed on all along to have a 2nd inverter (PSW) just power the Residential unless I discover the Quasi-sene will work otherwise. I have been in contact with someone who installed a GE 14.6 cu ft Energy Star and a AIMS 1000 watt with a transfer switch. That way when hooked up to shore/generator the Residential will run off that. I can also shut off the Main Quasi-sene at night so as to not power incidentals and save a little battery power. I will have 4 new 6volt Golf Batteries. No matter where we Boon Dock I will be able to run the generator a couple hours a day to recharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAZ View Post
Dump your Demented MSW Inverter. Buy a Magnum MS2012. Form Factor is almost the same. Your batteries, refer, convection microwave, etc. will love it.

If you can, purchase the ME-ARC panel.

I have these components. Our Frigidaire 18.3 cu ft refer is fine with it. So is the rest of the coach, including my AGM house batteries and my 400 watts of PV solar.
Wish I could but with my limited budget there is no way I could swing the $$$$$$$......
Thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

For $350.00 you can but a Xantrex PS1000 inverter, as a stand alone, to power the fridge Hook up 2 battery cables, run a cord to the fridge and you done.

Leave the rest as is.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This type of stand-alone transfer switch works with any inverter. Very easy to wire in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5625.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	152075
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Another option is instead of the GE fridge go with a Samsung fridge as they run just fine on a MSW inverter as per Samsung. This is the fridge a lot are going to so as to not have to incur the expense of a new inverter also.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Before replacing the existing MSW inverter consider the options. Use a RR than will work with a MSW inverter. Install a smaller dedicated PSW inverter just for the RR. It can either have a transfer switch to use shore power when available, or just have the RR unit operate all the time on the inverter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
This type of stand-alone transfer switch works with any inverter. Very easy to wire in.

Attachment 152075
If you go this route, here is a better price.

Xantrex 808-0915 - ProWatt SW Inline Transfer Relay
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I will be doing a Refer conversion next week. I purchased a Magnum PSW 1000W MMS 1012 -for just the Refer. Bought it through Wal-Mart (sold by Campers Paradise) for about $800.

Tags
inverter