Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
swk
Winnebago Camper

Dish network Vip222k receiver

I purchased a 2008 Winnebago Tour 40TD equipped with a Winegard Roadtrip SDi (in motion) dish. Has anyone installed a Dish Network Vip222k dual tuner receiver in a 40TD and if so can you point me to a wiring diagram?

I have verified the dish will provide an HD signal to the receiver because it does have the SW64 switch on the dish.

Is it possible to utilizing the existing coach wiring to use the DUAL tuner receiver to both TVs?
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I was told a dvr wouldn't work. Maybe they meant my system. Which is
A tiffin motorhome.
Mirbigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

A dish 222 does not have a DVR. It is just a dual turner HD receiver, for a PiP or 2 TV's. So with the RV multi switch (the one with all the various buttons, etc.: ota, cable, sat) you may be able to pull it out and look at the wires to the 2nd TV. Then run a splice to the TV somehow, but this may disable cable, ota things. So maybe a 2 way splice could be fitted in somehow. I know my dual turner Dish 222 is hard wired via cable directly to the 2nd TV and a 2nd remote via over the air operates the TV. This is in my home...not the RV. So I would think a similar setup would be needed in the RV.
So other than this I would have no idea as I am using a single receiver in the RV. Works good.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I don't have the 'in-motion' dome, but the wiring might be the same. My 2010 dome has two outputs from the dome to receivers. One goes to the receiver location above the drivers position, one goes to the bedroom TV location. (the front receiver can also get a signal from an external dish connected to the jack in the electrical compartment)

From the front receiver output, the wiring takes the signal to the switch-box, that controls output to the front, and middle TV's. The bedroom TV gets its satellite feed directly from a seperate receiver.

With my setup, you would have to run you own separate wires from the front receiver with dual outputs, back to the bedroom TV.

My instructions clearly say, you should only use a single input receiver (otherwise controlling the dome gets dicey), but dual output should work. But in my case, only one (the front receiver) can control the pointing of the dome dish.

I used to have two receivers, but now only have the one up front, just use the bedroom tv with dvd and over-the-air antenna signals. (and it is a dual input receiver, works great with external multi-element dish, but recording on the dvr, when using the dome is a challenge as sometimes it trys to record on the input that isn't hooked up)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I,m using dual tuner 622 not HD I run the two cables from dish to the inputs in back of the receiver output on receiver. tv 1 goes to satelite on my distribution panel I use the Aux switch for the tv 2 cable. You need to run a cable from receiver to back distribution box not real hard. Then tv 1 will run off satelite switch tv 2 will run off aux switch.
shovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Your 222k has all the same features as my 722 except I can record. You could record for a 1 time fee of $40 and hooking an external hard drive to the USB port. Check with DISH.

I bring my antenna in to Sat 1 input only. I just have not run an antenna into the sat 2 input yet as I use the CarryOut antenna. It has the capabilities, I'm just lazy. However, I have used a King Dome - not in motion with both antennas cables feeding the sat1/sat2 inputs. I like the dual input because of the PIP feature and being able to record a channel that is coming off the same satellite.

With a dome, you will only receive 1 satellite at a time, so trying to PIP or if you are watching an HD program on Sat 129, and trying to PIP/recording on Sat 110 - well it just will not work.

However, you have some other capabilities with your receiver. Here is what I would do. Feed both sat 1 and sat 2 inputs. Connect an HDMI cable to the television. Run the "Home Coax Distribution (Out)" to the Sat input on your distribution box. Use a splitter and split the batwing antenna for one feed into the distribution box, and the other to the "remote antenna" input on the back of the satellite receiver.

Put the Batwing up. Go to the menu on the satellite box and go to the Local Channel menu. (hope you have one) Scan for local channels. Once completed you will now be able to use your Satellite menu to view local channels received over the batwing, or satellite channels. The local channels will show up on the menu as a different color.

I hope you know that you will only be able to watch the same channel on the bedroom tv as is showing on the front tv unless it is coming off the same satellite.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
swk
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the responses. All good input. I am not interested in DVR functions and I am aware the dish can only see one satellite at a time and must rotate if I change to a channel that requires the signal from a different satellite.

I have confirmed that the VIp222k is compatible with the Roadtrip SDi dish.

I am just still not clear on the cable connections. In the 40TD there are coax cables in the overhead cabinet above the bed. Could it be these cables are the Sat2 input from the Roadtrip SDi? I don't know if wired this way by Winnebago or by the Roadtrip installer since I bought the coach used. Are di-plexers (not splitters) required to separate the signals?

Guess I will have to just buy the Vip222k and give it a try. What I was hoping for is someone could point me to a coax wiring diagram. You know, the old saying, "A picture is worth a 1000 words". I looked in the Wiring diagrams here on the forums but it was not clear to me if my coach is wired the same way. I am trying to determine if I can use the existing coach wiring without the need to run additional coax.

I will let everyone know what works when I get it figured out. Thanks for all your help. This forum is great.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Keep us posted on your progress.

As for the cabling, it all depends on which old world craftsman threw the cables on build day. (Some one should have a schematic, or can draw one.)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
swk
Winnebago Camper

I got hold of a Vip222k and hooked it up this weekend. The steps as outlined in the Winegard manual says;
1) Turn on TV and Dish receiver
2) Go to the "Point Dish" screen
3) Power on the Roadtrip and give it time to find sat 119 and the dish to stop tracking. This takes about 6 minutes.
4) Once 119 is found run "Check Switch" again
5) This will take about another 6 minutes and when complete you should see SW64 switch verified and a green OK on sats 110, 119 and 129

Be patient and you should see the program guide download and then see a TV picture.

All this worked great for me. But then the problem. The dish is supposed to toggle to the alternate sat if I change the channel to a channel not on the current sat. Remember, the Roadtrip can only receive ONE sat at a time. But when I change the channel, I get "Complete signal loss" or "Partial signal loss". This appears to me the dish is not toggling as it should. I will contact Winegard but wondered if anyone had any ideas.

And by the way..... The cable in the overhead above the bed is the cable coming down from the Roadtrip dish for Sat input 2. I connected this cable to the SAT 2 in and was able to get green OK for both SAT 1 in and SAT 2 in for 110, 119 and 129.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #10

I just purchesed , A 625 Receiver and a Pro/plus eye for our winn.. Needs only one cable+ it can record and run two TV. sets;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

does anyone know where the 64sw is located on a 2008 winnebago journey 39Z?
esetter3391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by esetter3391 View Post
Ya... O.K. I will bite...what is a 64sw?
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I just purchesed , A 625 Receiver and a Pro/plus eye for our winn.. Needs only one cable+ it can record and run two TV. sets;

Bachler, I can't tell what kind of coach you have, but would you describe your complete satelite wiring set up please, dish to distribution switch panel... Thanks alot...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

SW64 switch

Quote:
It's not in your Journey, It's in the DISH receiver. It's not a piece of hardware but a software program built into HD capable DISH receivers.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

What I found is that with my dome, only the front receiver could actually command the dome to point the dish. The rear (bedroom) satellite feed could receive the signal just fine, but not send commands to the dome.

I beleve I saw, somewhere, in some diagram, that the leads from the dome itself had one labeled as the master.

And for information purposes, any receiver must know which satellites it is to aim at. The dome is programmed for the service it will point to (Direct, Dish, etc.) If the dome is programmed for DISH, the receiver will read that as SW64, and know which satellites to aim at.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by winne2008 View Post
I got hold of a Vip222k ............

All this worked great for me. But then the problem. The dish is supposed to toggle to the alternate sat if I change the channel to a channel not on the current sat. Remember, the Roadtrip can only receive ONE sat at a time. But when I change the channel, I get "Complete signal loss" or "Partial signal loss". This appears to me the dish is not toggling as it should. I will contact Winegard but wondered if anyone had any ideas.
I'm thinking that you don't have 5vdc going to the RoadTrip. I don't know anything about the RoadTrip, but does it have it's own power cable. I'm sure you know that the motor will not turn the antenna if there is no power going to it. Either you have 5v from the receiver or you need an external power source. I'm not sure if the 5vdc from the receiver has the capacity to turn a motor. I have the CarryOut and it has a separate power cable.
=====

Quote:
SW64 is, as stated, a software item. For DISH Network, go into settings, Installation, and run the CHECK SWITCH according to the instructions. If your antenna is compatible for DISH, you should see the three satellites.

Happy trails.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Wayne has given you the correct info. When you run "checkdish" you need to see that the SW64 is present and all three satellites are there. If so, you are good to go. Actually SW64 is software and hardware in the sense that it sends a signal to the dish controller when it senses that you have selected a channel on a different satellite. This is pretty transparent because it multiiplexes this signal on the existing coax. Make sure that checkdish gives you all three satellites and SW64.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
swk
Winnebago Camper

I believe my Roadtrip dish gets power from a separate power source other than the Dish Network receiver. There is a power switch to activate the Roadtrip.

I have chased this problem for many weeks and many emails to Winegard who have been very responsive, however, we have not be able to determine why Dish Network is not working with "my Roadtrip dish". I will post some pictures of the Roadtrip dish with the dome removed including a label showing SW64 ready when I get home which may help someone else.

For me........ the problem will soon be solved. I had a friend bring his DirecTV receiver into my Winnebago Tour and within 5 minutes we were watching TV and getting all the channels expected. Although, all in SD and not HD I am willing to go without HD as I am not a full timer. If a fulltimer I would get the Winegard Traveler Dish and all would be well.

I am switching the DirecTV this week. Dish Network is not working well for me with this RV setup and I don't need the additional aggravation. RVing is supposed to be fun. As a side bonus it will be cheaper for 2 years and I get all new hi-tech receivers.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
swk
Winnebago Camper

Here is a picture of the Winegard RoadTrip SDi with the dome removed. You can also see the SW64 label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadTripDish2.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	18320   Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadTripDish4.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	18321  

Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Yes, the SW64 label is very obvious. This label is to show how the box was programmed at the factory (or set at the dealer)

Either way, it is obviously wrong, since your friend's DirecTV receiver hooked up and worked, your control box is apparently not programmed for DISH with SW64, but DirecTV.

I had the opposite problem as my dome was programmed for DirecTV, I had to manually re-program it for SW64 and DISH, then it did work (and in HD which is why I chose DISH in the first place).

I am making the assumption that the RoadTrip people did check the actual programming and did not assume that label was correct?

Tags
dish