Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The chandelier above our dinette is too bright for cozy dinners. Is there a way to replace the on/off switch in a 12 volt circuit with a dimmer as we do on 110 volt circuits?

Arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The chandelier above our dinette is too bright for cozy dinners. Is there a way to replace the on/off switch in a 12 volt circuit with a dimmer as we do on 110 volt circuits?

Arne

Old 02-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Must be ...our's has one as original equipment.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

ARNE-T,
Glad to let you know you can pick up a 12v dimmer at Home Depot.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You could use lower wattage 12v bulbs.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have been to two Home Depots. Neither carries 12 Volt dimmers

Old 02-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

There are several 12 volt dimmers on ebay. Some are listed by RV parts stores.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #8

found this: http://www.advancedenergyonline.com/...s/lighting.htm
12 Volt Dimmer Switch
These 12 volt dimmer switches are mounted on single gang ivory wall plates. They provide on/off plus full range brightness control for filament-type lights and resistive heating elements. Efficiency is about 98% at all settings. UL Listed. Maximum current is 9.5 amps. Connection is via 6' wire leads. Fits in single gang box.

Dimmer Switch, 12V $42.00

and on ebay is this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Wire-12v-dc-Dimmer-w-p...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just remember that you can not use a dimmer switch on a flourescent light fixture (you haven't mentioned what kind you have). Add up your amp usage before you buy one (Watts divided by 12Volts = Amps) or your Wattage (Watts = Volts x Amps)
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fits in single gang box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RVs do not use standard single gang boxes because walls are very thin.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

ARNE-T,
Gosh guy, don't know what to tell you, it's a standard item in our stores in San Antonio, TX., and since HD is not allowed to special order anything for one store, it is standard item at all stores) Made by Leviton, $21.95 (tell you salesman your looking for a low voltage dimmer (12 volt)

Best,

Yep, I work there, in the electric department.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruppr:
...since HD is not allowed to special order anything for one store, it is standard item at all stores) Made by Leviton, $21.95 (tell you salesman your looking for a low voltage dimmer (12 volt) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I was just in the Home Depot in Panama City FL yesterday evening (after I posted). No 12 vdc dimmer switch. I looked in both Lowes and HD becasue we were at both. I thought if I could find one at one of th places, I could get the code number & description to post here.

May you can get the numbers off it so someone at his local HD can look it up or tell him WHERE in the electrical dept he would find it (it would also help others). It would sure be cheaper than buying from a specialty store.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:04 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Just guessing. Maybe look in the low voltage landscape lighting department.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:24 AM   #13

Here is another 12vDC dimmer switch.
So is this one but it's harder to wire.

Please becareful that you do not buy a regular 120vAC dimmer switch. While the UL labs do not consider arcing a problem under 50vDC (I wouldn't risk it), it does shorten the life of the switch or plug. Since much of the wiring in RV's are in walls that will not accept an electrical box (even the thin "remodel" boxes), many think the arcing that will occur to be a potential fire hazard. in other words, if your RV catches fire and your insurance company finds the non-approved dimmer/switch/plug they may refuse to pay off on your claim.

Some 240vAC plugs and switches are dual rated and are approved for use with 12vDC. They are more expensive. (they will also say AC-DC)
Old 02-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Can be used with standard lamps or electronic or magnetic balasts (depending on what you have or need to do):

Commerical Electric
SKU# 202 743
$14.97

Leviton Co.
Sku# 217 346
$19.97

Leviton Co.
SKU# 217 444
$19.97

Best,
Old 02-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruppr:
Can be used with standard lamps or electronic or magnetic balasts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can not dim a standard flourescent (the lamps that use electronic or magnetic ballasts) off a standard 600w dimmer. It doesn't work, at least for long, before frying the bulb, ballast (tube style fl.) or even the dimmer. And that still doesn't mean that they can be used with 12vDC.

This is so far the only dimmer for flourescents that I have found. It is a special ballast that you can retro fit into a standard flourescent fixture.You put this ballast inthe light then you can buy a flourescent dimmer switch to dim the dimmable ballast.

This and this will take you to compact flourecents that have been designed to be dimmed. (note: I have read where some of these don't last too long while others say they last for years)
Old 02-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Lorna,

I have no problem with your response, however, note, I never said you could dim a standard fourscent, (apples and oranges) dimming a chandelier (12 volt orginal question) and the fact that a flourscent fixture is envolved, is not the point in question, I offered ( as a Master Electrician) some options that were availible, from Home Depot) As you overlooked, electronic and magentic ballasts, and standard dimming as are options availible as far as dimming posibilities. As usual, some people feel they know more even more, though changing, what the orginal subject was).

There fore I'm out of here, best to your and yours, no further comment--------------

Sorry I got I even got into this, back to lurking as some have much more info than understanding as to the orginal question.

ARNE-T. hope you find what you need, wish you well,

Best,
Old 02-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #17

I was simply pointing out that not all flourescents can be dimmed. The description of the dimmer you posted included references to ballasts (flourescents). This was for the folks who might read the post and think they can install the dimmer on a standard flourescent light. My apologies to the Master Electrician. I only know what I read and have researched on the internet involving converting our bus. I never rely solely on what others have posted without checking it out myself even if it is posted by an "expert" (especially since things change so much so quickly... what can't be done today may be able to be done 6 months from now). Unfortunately my background is in construction and K&B design, not electrical stuff.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Ruppr and Lorna, I appreciate input from both of you. You've both helped me here and on other subjects.

Thanks.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Found it!
Just installed a 12V dimmer from JR Products (www.jrprvinc.com). Part #12065. It is identical in shape to the original switches installed by Winnebago. Very easy to install with two minor exceptions:
1. The hole for the switch had to be slightly enlarged.
2. The two (red & white) wires must be connected correctly. I first did it backwards and the switch did not work. Everything worked when the wires was switched.

The unit works well, and it looks like all my other switches.

Arne

Old 02-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Arne-T: Thanks for the link! Been lurking here and this fits the bill! steve