Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dimensions 2000Watt Inverter

I own a 2010 Winnebago Tour bought brand new Sept. 29th 2010. I just replaced my inverter for the 2nd time. The first time it went out was approx. in April 2011 just 7 months after the purchase. Last month I replaced the inverter again. So, this is the 3rd inverter my coach has eaten alive. Fortunately the first replacement came under the manufacturers warranty and the 2nd under an extended warranty I had purchased.

Anyone else had problem lilke this????

I do a lot of dry camping so I asked my dealer who replaced the inverter the 2nd time what they do with the old inverter and they replied "throw it away" I got the old inverter from them and sent it to Dimensions (Sensata) and they rebuilt it for $500.00. It's now in my basement storage and if while dry camping the new inverter takes a dump, I can replace it on the spot.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We haven't had to replace our Dimensions 2000 but with the voltage readings and the sound the microwave made when on the inverter power, we replaced it with a Magnum pure sine wave inverter. The microwave now is happy. Previously we had to replace the Microwave transformer and circuit board so didn't want to have to worry about the future with the Quasi-wave Dimensions and sent it to an Ebay buyer.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Dimensions 2000 was in my '05 Vectra. Nothing but trouble. Stay away from Xantrex. Customer service is very poor and the units are not that reliable.

I have heard, for several years, of the great reputation of Magnum. This new to me coach has a Magnum true sine wave 2800 watt inverter. The thing has been flawless. The only failures I have had with it have been self inflicted. I forgot to turn it on. It is maintaining the batteries very well and I am very pleased. AGM's are to expensive to charge wrong. The Xantrex I had replaced the Dimensions for cooked my AGM's. Xantrex would not even look at the unit and were rude to me on the phone. It was considered a $2k throw-a-way.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We changed out our 1500 watt modified wave Xantrex. Reason we did was the inverter was trying to power the microwave/convection oven that was 1600 watts. Blew out both and had to replace both.
We ended up going with a 3000 watt pure sine Xantrex. The microwave/convection replacement was the same make and model just a couple of years newer so just a drop in and no mods needed. Could not be happier with the change out. No problems with customer service at Xantrex the one time I did ask a question which was not even related to the inverter. We've had it now for probably a year or longer. We do live full time in the RV so it's used all the time since pretty much everything is wired thru the inverter.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I went through 3 of them before replacing it with a Magnum ME-2000

Search this forum and you will find many problems with the Dimensions 2000 units
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I own a 2010 Winnebago Tour bought brand new Sept. 29th 2010. I just replaced my inverter for the 2nd time. The first time it went out was approx. in April 2011 just 7 months after the purchase. Last month I replaced the inverter again. So, this is the 3rd inverter my coach has eaten alive. Fortunately the first replacement came under the manufacturers warranty and the 2nd under an extended warranty I had purchased.

Anyone else had problem lilke this????

I do a lot of dry camping so I asked my dealer who replaced the inverter the 2nd time what they do with the old inverter and they replied "throw it away" I got the old inverter from them and sent it to Dimensions (Sensata) and they rebuilt it for $500.00. It's now in my basement storage and if while dry camping the new inverter takes a dump, I can replace it on the spot.
LJowdy,
Well, as you can see, Dimensions has had some issues with their 2000 model. We must be one of the fortunate ones as we've had great service with our Dimensions 2000 since we purchased the rig used, almost 3 years ago. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon with the 330 CAT. The first time it went into the "Equalizing mode" I was a bit perplexed, to say the least. But, with a little bit of reading the manual, I learned all about how that unit works and, what to expect.

I've got a few buddies with the same unit who, also have had no issues. So, in terms of total amount of units produced, just how many have had issues, is hard to say. Ours does go through the normal charging procedures for battery charging, if and when the house batteries are down and, it seems to produce the adequate A/C voltage if and when called for.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for the information. I tend to look at the problem as did "FIRE UP" In other words, how many people have had problems as compared to the total number of coaches with a Dimension 2000 installed.

With that said, I now have a new inverter installed and, I just got my old inverter back from Dimensions and it has been totally rebuilt.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I did not notice this following caution about Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverters. The operating power they deliver (manufacture not the issue) they all will harm (so I have been told) electric blankets, for instance, not RV certified. Other appliances life expectancy, such as the microwave/convection oven, will probably be shortened. And you can not do a direct replacement of you RV refrigerator for a residential one without replacing the inverter with a True Sine Wave type (TSW).
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I got the old inverter from them and sent it to Dimensions (Sensata) and they rebuilt it for $500.00. It's now in my basement storage and if while dry camping the new inverter takes a dump, I can replace it on the spot.
curious, did you ask or did Dimensions volunteer to say what they found when they rebuilt the unit? They should be concerned when units fail in the field after such a short time.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter