Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am wondering if the new digital type TV's (both LCD and Plasma) are as capable of standing up to the summer heat and the winter cold as the tube type. I have read that the new flat screen TV's have temperature ranges for hot and cold. Those of us that are not full timers store our coaches and the summer heat and winter cold can be very extreme. I had heard that the exceeding of the manufacturers temperature specs can affect the picture quality of the units.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am wondering if the new digital type TV's (both LCD and Plasma) are as capable of standing up to the summer heat and the winter cold as the tube type. I have read that the new flat screen TV's have temperature ranges for hot and cold. Those of us that are not full timers store our coaches and the summer heat and winter cold can be very extreme. I had heard that the exceeding of the manufacturers temperature specs can affect the picture quality of the units.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 08-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The only environmental negative I have heard concerns plasma TVs operated at high altitude. I forgot the issue, though. Plasma wouldn't be my first choice anyway.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I just read an article about LCD TVs failing at a much higher rate than normal when mounted on a wall.

The reason is that they can't dissipate the heat when they are mounted tight to the wall and the high temperatures are making the components fail. The article went on to say that extreme high and low temperatures are not good for LCDs.

So, I guess your assumption could be right. I'll see if I can find that article and post it.

edit: The more I think about it, I think they were talking about USING an LCD in extreme temperatures --not necessarily STORING them in extreme temperatures. Perhaps it won't matter storing them in extreme temperatures as long as you aren't using them.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Well, consider how many "glass cockpit" aircraft there are these days. Specifically the private ones that sit on the tarmac their entire lives (sans in the air a heck-of-a-lot less time than a MH is driven or used) and have no heat aging issues. At work we have a black JetRanger with some very expensive LCD camera and off-air monitors that just sit there and run even in "storage" with temps in excess of 120 degrees.

Its actually amazing how well a relatively fragile glass tube survives the road.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Jeff,
I understand what you are saying but I would think anything put in an airplane would have some very stringent specifications as versus consumer product specs. I would also wonder if the display colors in airplane instruments would run the spectrum of colors that a TV would?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 08-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Score in our motorhome: 2 tube TVs failed due to circuit boards burning out. Suspect they were marginal quality that couldn't handle vibration and temps. 1 replacement LCD going strong at 10 months. 1 replacement tube TV from 1997 5th wheel going strong.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have been using two LCD 15 and 17 inch wide screen monitors of the cheapest kind as "heads up" dash board indicators in place of the sun visor locations. These see lots of AZ sun in storage next to my house. Its hot any time of year here. They have been in use for at least 4 years now and have not yet indicated signs of degradation. In addition, they always operate using modified sine wave power.

When the old CRT tvs go or maybe sooner, I would not hesitate to replace them with LCD types. Worst case the, need to add extra muffin fan cooling.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

plasma tv's do not like vibration either.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">plasma tv's do not like vibration either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The plasma's also don't like the modified sine wave inverters.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Bill please check your PM's.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
Jeff,
I understand what you are saying but I would think anything put in an airplane would have some very stringent specifications as versus consumer product specs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>True, which is why I added the comment about the camera and off-air monitors that are anywhere from really nice to Best Buy grade Sony receivers, and they're all just fine. Vibration-wise, RV's of any kind don't come close to the abuse of a helicopter.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote