Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My Adventurer today looks to be getting a problem as I was driving up my street I noticed what look like swelling on my sidewall were the rear cap is just over the genset. this looks to be approx 2 ft long and 6" high it as if someone was on the inside pushing the wall out.

when I push in on it it is hard with little or no movement at all. I have owned the rv from aug 05 to now and she is a 2000 Advebturer 35U.

Is this the dreded DELAM that people talk about or is it just that we have just had a real cold weak out here on cape cod with the lows at 12 and wind chil in the neg numbers.

I have never seen this on the unit before and have had the side walls sealed with the tape that is talk about here the caps were just resealed at the end of the season with the self level stuff.

What should I do Help?

It kind of looks like what the paint on your car looks like just before the rust shows up on your fender or door.

Mark
Old 01-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My Adventurer today looks to be getting a problem as I was driving up my street I noticed what look like swelling on my sidewall were the rear cap is just over the genset. this looks to be approx 2 ft long and 6" high it as if someone was on the inside pushing the wall out.

when I push in on it it is hard with little or no movement at all. I have owned the rv from aug 05 to now and she is a 2000 Advebturer 35U.

Is this the dreded DELAM that people talk about or is it just that we have just had a real cold weak out here on cape cod with the lows at 12 and wind chil in the neg numbers.

I have never seen this on the unit before and have had the side walls sealed with the tape that is talk about here the caps were just resealed at the end of the season with the self level stuff.

What should I do Help?

It kind of looks like what the paint on your car looks like just before the rust shows up on your fender or door.

Mark
Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If its along the floor seam metal strip, just above doors, water can be siponed up into sidewall behind fiberglass and with cold temps may have buckled sidewall. This seam alot of times will not have sealent in it or on top of metal strip.
When it warms up you maybe lucky and it will reset after thaw.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had a delam on a Jayco class c I owned and when I pushed on it it would give, like and oil can. What you describe dosen't sound like a delam.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem with my 2000 suncruiser,don't think it was the cold weather as mine showed up in Fla. It is delam, but maybe it could be caused by Generator Heat,as ine showed up afer running the generator for an hour. I really don't understand this as I have run gen. mant times as it has around 800 hrs. Maybe some else will have some input.
dennis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mark - I'd give Winnie a call and run it by them. I'd take some pictures in case they want to see what it looks like.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have exactly the same problem on my 1999 Brave and it is delamination. I haven't done anything about it yet.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

well I just sent off an email to winnie to see what if an reply I might get. this is nuts because I make sure the unit is always taken care of from the time that I purchased it anyway I just drop over a grand to have the chassis gone over, What I mean is they just check the whole chassis the breaks batterys tires break lines oil change gas filter air filters you name it.

the next this to have done to her is the ext f the unit she will get a full wash and wax the works with extras starting at 400.00.

so I hope winnie will stepup and help us out with this one I figures as Wife and I were just talking about how much we like this unit and had started to rethink about getting a new one for when we retire and just keep this one and add what we want to it life never fails to throw things at you just when you think you might be getting places.

Oh well we will see what happens with winnie will keep you posted if they get back to me on this.

Mark
Old 02-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mark, please keep us posted on the
delam as our 2000 35U has delam right above the generator door. Area is about 3' long and maybe up to 12" high.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mark and Joanne,

Unfortunately it is a prevalent issue on 2000 Adventurers and Suncruisers and one that I ask my sales staff to ask for in appraisal. Typically, it occurs above the gen and on compartment. Obviously the compartment door is easier to fix.

I have had only short-term success with injecting glue and rolling out, but it could be a short-term solution.

The more permanent solution involves fiberglass repair, and fortunately for you that means potential of less sun fade given how well you cared for it.

Best of luck and apologies for hearing of this.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have the same problem with a 99 Suncruiser on diesel chassis. Probably 3 to 4 large spots.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well Winnie call me at home this morning and talk about the problem. Long of it is that they are not able to help. They did say that what I should do is take the strip above the door off and look at the side wall to see if it was getting any water there. then to talk some clear sealant and run a bead of it then put strip back on and the sealant should stop the water if any from getting into the space between the wall and the strip over the doors which seams to be a trouble spot for them. I had hoped that sence this was our first winnie that just maybe they would help out with something even if it was the sealing of the seam just so no other trouble would come up but all that has been left to me so when the weather get warm here in Mass I'll have to look at taking that strip off and see what is going on and if I can make the repair. I know the unit is 8yrs old but was I asking a hole lot on a unit when it was new was 100.000.00 and when I got it in 05 was still over 50.000.00.

Well it is a great unit and I am sure that it will last us a lot longer even with this little bump in the road..

Mark