Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Dead batteries - Coach & House

I left my unit plugged into shore power all winter and when I went out to start it the other day, I had nothing. No power anywhere. I took a quick look at the batteries and they're covered with corrosion. I'm thinking that I now have to go and remove all of the batteries, clean everything and make sure that all of the grounds are tight. Can anyone add anything else that might have killed the batteries?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the charger overcharged the batteries, causing out-gassing=corrosion and boiled the batteries dry of liquid. Check each cell liquid level, if it is below the plates you might as well get ready to buy all new batteries. Charger may need replacing to prevent re-occurrence; Check charger output by re-filling any/all low battery cells and measuring output at terminals. Compare results to your charger owners manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Depending on your setup, an old style converter could fry house batts and it's possible it doesn't charge chassis batts, so they all could be dead.

What keeps your batteries charged when you're plugged in? What kind of converter or inverter?

How old are the batts?
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Sorry about the delay...been out of town for awhile. No, my batteries aren't dry. They're just flat dead. Both the coach and the engine batteries. The coach batteries were new last summer. I'm wondering if maybe my transfer switch is bad. Something is not allowing the 120v power to get into the coach.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It is possible that left in a winter on a charger and depending on what type of charger it was. You could have fried the batteries. Take the batteries out of the MH and try to charge them. If they take the charge the next step is to load test them. If they don't take the charge they are most likely shot. You didn't say whether or not they ran out of water while stored. But it sure sounds like they overheated. Or simply take them to a battery shop and get them evaluated.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I think my first step should be to see why I have no power to the coach. I don't think the 120 volt power is even getting to the coach. Nothing lights, even when I'm plugged in. I'm not sure where to start, but I'm thinking at the transfer switch, because that's where the main power cord enters the coach...?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You're right - the transfer switch is a good candidate. They can hang up connected to the gennie. Can you remember if you were running the gennie just before you plugged in for the winter? Try tapping the transfer switch case with the fat end of a screwdriver. That may correct the problem for now, but if so, the contacts may be burned and require replacement. Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Oops - I didn't notice you started another thread and have eliminated the transfer switch. I don't know of anything between the transfer switch and the breaker panel
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I think my first step should be to see why I have no power to the coach. I don't think the 120 volt power is even getting to the coach. Nothing lights, even when I'm plugged in. I'm not sure where to start, but I'm thinking at the transfer switch, because that's where the main power cord enters the coach...?
How about the easy stuff first. Is there power at the 120V source? Is the shower power circuit breaker tripped? How about at the end of the 120V cord before it plugs into the MH, is the cord good? When you plug it in, can you hear the transfer switch click? Is there power to any of the inside plugs? the lights are 12v so not a good power test.

Can you get power running the generator?
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries