Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise
 
Ramzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 352
Dead batteries - Coach & House

I left my unit plugged into shore power all winter and when I went out to start it the other day, I had nothing. No power anywhere. I took a quick look at the batteries and they're covered with corrosion. I'm thinking that I now have to go and remove all of the batteries, clean everything and make sure that all of the grounds are tight. Can anyone add anything else that might have killed the batteries?
__________________
06' Itasca Meridian 36g with CAT 350
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 695
Sounds like the charger overcharged the batteries, causing out-gassing=corrosion and boiled the batteries dry of liquid. Check each cell liquid level, if it is below the plates you might as well get ready to buy all new batteries. Charger may need replacing to prevent re-occurrence; Check charger output by re-filling any/all low battery cells and measuring output at terminals. Compare results to your charger owners manual.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 171
Depending on your setup, an old style converter could fry house batts and it's possible it doesn't charge chassis batts, so they all could be dead.

What keeps your batteries charged when you're plugged in? What kind of converter or inverter?

How old are the batts?
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise
 
Ramzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 352
Sorry about the delay...been out of town for awhile. No, my batteries aren't dry. They're just flat dead. Both the coach and the engine batteries. The coach batteries were new last summer. I'm wondering if maybe my transfer switch is bad. Something is not allowing the 120v power to get into the coach.
__________________
06' Itasca Meridian 36g with CAT 350
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
TonyDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 106
It is possible that left in a winter on a charger and depending on what type of charger it was. You could have fried the batteries. Take the batteries out of the MH and try to charge them. If they take the charge the next step is to load test them. If they don't take the charge they are most likely shot. You didn't say whether or not they ran out of water while stored. But it sure sounds like they overheated. Or simply take them to a battery shop and get them evaluated.
__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy. TST 507 TPMS
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
Ramzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 352
I think my first step should be to see why I have no power to the coach. I don't think the 120 volt power is even getting to the coach. Nothing lights, even when I'm plugged in. I'm not sure where to start, but I'm thinking at the transfer switch, because that's where the main power cord enters the coach...?
__________________
06' Itasca Meridian 36g with CAT 350
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
tomsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 773
You're right - the transfer switch is a good candidate. They can hang up connected to the gennie. Can you remember if you were running the gennie just before you plugged in for the winter? Try tapping the transfer switch case with the fat end of a screwdriver. That may correct the problem for now, but if so, the contacts may be burned and require replacement. Good luck!
__________________
Tom
'04 Journey 36G - Cat C7
'04 Honda CR-V
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
tomsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 773
Oops - I didn't notice you started another thread and have eliminated the transfer switch. I don't know of anything between the transfer switch and the breaker panel
__________________
Tom
'04 Journey 36G - Cat C7
'04 Honda CR-V
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
brobox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I think my first step should be to see why I have no power to the coach. I don't think the 120 volt power is even getting to the coach. Nothing lights, even when I'm plugged in. I'm not sure where to start, but I'm thinking at the transfer switch, because that's where the main power cord enters the coach...?
How about the easy stuff first. Is there power at the 120V source? Is the shower power circuit breaker tripped? How about at the end of the 120V cord before it plugs into the MH, is the cord good? When you plug it in, can you hear the transfer switch click? Is there power to any of the inside plugs? the lights are 12v so not a good power test.

Can you get power running the generator?
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
House amp gauge only displays #'s on 30 amp. Tomtall Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 16 06-24-2014 09:11 PM
House Batteries Recomended & Micro Wave pameridan04 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 24 05-24-2012 09:14 AM
Dead House Batteries maclonchas Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 11 02-22-2009 02:45 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×