Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Any one have any luck getting daytime running lights on the 2001 Adventurer 3U on the Workhorse Chassis? The manual says they are optional but the repair shop where I take the rig has no idea.

Pat Zollo
Fort WAshington, PA
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee toad
Break Buddy
Old 12-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Any one have any luck getting daytime running lights on the 2001 Adventurer 3U on the Workhorse Chassis? The manual says they are optional but the repair shop where I take the rig has no idea.

Pat Zollo
Fort WAshington, PA
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee toad
Break Buddy
Old 12-23-2002, 04:29 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Welcome to the forum"¢com. You will find that we are a great resource for your Workhorse related questions and concerns.

For model year 2001 on all Adventurer units, Day-Time-Running-Lamps, (DTRL) were not available although they are listed as being available in the Adventurer brochure. I don't have DTRL either and I questioned the Workhorse folks that I was with about this and they told me that the circuitry was not enabled in their chassis. I shared with them at that time that I thought that DTRL would be a good thing and they should consider making it available.

Although DTRL may be available on other manafacturer's motorhomes, Winnebago for whatever reason did not come through with it.

I believe that DTRL may be available in model year 2003, however I am not positive...

How about it 2003 WCC owners, do you have DTRL?

<font color=blue>01 Winnebago 37G/Workhorse W20 "¢ Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>
8 8
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Driver,
I was reading the thread you posted on tire air valves. I was trying to find the setup for connecting the rear duals together to fill them and equalize the pressure. I als go the the Bridgeport CW all they had was a set with rubber hoses which I was not interested in. On the front of my rig the velve stems are so long that you can't get anything on them. I am taking it to the local truck tire dealer and have the stems replaced with something I can use. I still need the back connections. I went to wheel masters site but am not sure if that is what I'm looking for.

Pat Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee toad
Break Buddy
Old 12-23-2002, 05:25 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat Z:
I went to wheel masters site but am not sure if that is what I'm looking for.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can find everything you need on the 2 pages offered in the link at the end of this post. I use the stainless valve extenders however the ZIP airless valve extenders are supposed to be better.

i also use the 45? valve stems on the front. The first set I used leaked however I believe it to been user error.

You must not overtighten the valve extenders. Use dish soap solution in a spray bottle and just tighten the valve stems until they are a three-quarters to one turn tight after snug. Spray the valve stems observing no bubbles are present. Click on the link below.

Wheel Accessories

Nor'Easters
8 8
Old 12-23-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Adventurer on a Workhorse Chassis. The daytime running lights are standard equipment. (comes with dtrl)
Ken & Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 03:18 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My '03 Suncruiser 33V W20 has 'em as standard also. When I look in the wiring diagram for this unit I see that there is a DRL module that plugs into the harness. I would think that if you really wanted them on an older coach you could buy the module for an '03 and wire it in.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 03:58 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I believe the reason Winnebago listed them on the 2001 literature is that they have been standard on the Ford chassis for years. When the Workhorse chassis became available as an option, DRL stayed in the literature.

FYI, in the Ford that I was familiar with, the DRL's could be enabled or disabled by pulling a fuse. I disabled mine, as I preferred having the ability to "flash the lights" to let folks know when it was safe to come into my lane.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36GD
Freightliner Chassis, Cat 330
Towing Saturn SL2
Old 12-24-2002, 04:50 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I hear ya on the light flashing. I'm in the process of hooking up two buttons on the dash for that purpose. Push one button to flash just the headlights and the other to just flash the marker lights. If they're off - they go on and if they're on - they go off.

Just 2 pushbuttons, some wire, and 3 small relays. That way you can flash day or night when it's clear to duck back in and the other button acknowledges with the marker lights if you are the one doing the passing. Makes for good road courtesy with the truckers and you don't have to cut out your taillights when flashing headlights.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V
Old 12-24-2002, 05:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cruzer:
My '03 Suncruiser 33V W20 has 'em as standard also. When I look in the wiring diagram for this unit I see that there is a DRL module that plugs into the harness. I would think that if you really wanted them on an older coach you could buy the module for an '03 and wire it in.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that the service centers are now supposed to have a kit for RDL on the older rigs. My brother in law is a trucker and he told me that this morning.

Merry Christmas to all.

Pat Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee toad
Break Buddy
Old 12-24-2002, 06:14 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Great Idea!!!

I've been grumbling about the Freightliner chassis not having the flash-to-pass turnsignal lever that I was used to on the Ford.

You got me thinking now, and since I like modifications I'm already sitting here sketching up a schematic.

Towing Saturn SL2
Old 12-24-2002, 06:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe-K:
Great Idea!!!

I've been grumbling about the Freightliner chassis not having the flash-to-pass turnsignal lever that I was used to on the Ford.

You got me thinking now, and since I like modifications I'm already sitting here sketching up a schematic.

I have that on my Jeep and it is a great feature, I would love to have in on the RV, in fact I was thinking about a way to do it. I was looking at cutting a momentary contact switch into the headlight switch wires, then mounting the switch on the steeriong column where it could be reached easily. Good luck.
Towing Saturn SL2<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee toad
Break Buddy
Old 12-24-2002, 08:59 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

What I did was mount two pushbuttons. Press one to flash headlamps and the other to flash the coach marker lamps. They will turn them on if they are off or they will turn them off when they are on whenever you push the button. This way I can dip the headlights without affecting the marker lights when someone wants to duck in front of me. I can also return the favor if I am doing this by flashing the "thank you" marker lights without losing my headlights. In order to do this I went with 3 relays. Here is a schematic if you want to refer to it.

Have fun.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V
Old 12-24-2002, 10:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Excellent! I really miss the ICC switch we had on the Country Coach. I will make this mod for sure.

Also hate the DTRL when trying to level late at night in a campground - the headlights typically shine right in someone else's front window...

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Snow Covered Frozen Connecticut Woods
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR
Old 12-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Looks like another item for the punch list. No working DTRL on my 03 Adventurer, however it is on a late 2002 chassis. Maybe that is why they are inop?

Best Regards!

Paul D
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U Workhorse Chassis
AKA "R SANITY"

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #16
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Mark,

Did you put in diodes across the relay's coil to prevent damage coursed by voltage spikes?

If not, I'd reecommend adding diodes arcoss each relay.

George & Laraine
Nashua, NH
2001 Adventurer 32U
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 04:55 AM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

Mark,

Could we see some pictures of the finished switch location, and a material list detailing how you picked up the feeds to the new circuits from the existing wiring. Did you use 3M Tap Blocks or whatever.

Could we perhaps see some detailed pictures of the modified wiring, relays, and mounting of the components.

This is a project that I would like to do.

Nor'Easters
8 8
Old 12-25-2002, 07:16 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gMw:
Mark,

Did you put in diodes across the relay's coil to prevent damage coursed by voltage spikes?

If not, I'd reecommend adding diodes arcoss each relay.

George & Laraine
Nashua, NH
2001 Adventurer 32U<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the Bosch relays I used don't have a problem with that and come with internal resistors.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V
Old 12-25-2002, 07:19 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DriVer:
Mark,

Could we see some pictures of the finished switch location, and a material list detailing how you picked up the feeds to the new circuits from the existing wiring. Did you use 3M Tap Blocks or whatever.

Could we perhaps see some detailed pictures of the modified wiring, relays, and mounting of the components.

This is a project that I would like to do.

<font color=blue>01 Winnebago 37G/Workhorse W20 "¢ _Adventurer_
_Nor'Easters_
http://www.doverspeedway.com/assets/.../Nascar_2_.jpe __8 8__ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not finished with the project on this coach yet but I've done it before on another vehicle and I know it works. I've temporarily tested the stuff on this coach and when I'm done I'll get the specs and pics posted.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V
Old 12-25-2002, 10:57 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Cruzer,

Nice job of posting the schematic. Your wiring diagram will do the job. I sketched up something very similiar. I was going to try to do it without "CR3" by switching the ground from the headlights when in the on position. The only reason to do that would be to avoid having to use a continuous duty relay for CR3.

When the lights are on, CR3 is continuously energised so be sure to get a relay appropriate for that. Contacts on the relays should be rated 10 amps.

Good circuit and thanks for the idea.

Towing Saturn SL2