Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ah So, young Grasshoppers,
What? Your Motorhome left before your cord put itself neatly away?
All is not lost.
Just go to your local Allsmart store and get a replacement 30 amp plug. Splice it in to your old cord to your RV with fitted crimp-on wire connectors with humble pliers. But wait.... buy at your most honerable electric store, some heat shrink rubber tube material that fits your 30 Amp cord. Put it over your cord before you crimp most humble connectors. After most humble connectors are crimped steadfastly connecting wires , then use heat gun or propane (small) torch/lighter to shrink the "heat shrink" rubber tube over the connections. This makes most honarable seal over exposed connections.
Most waaaaaaaaaay better than humble electrical tape. And looks quite proffesional too, using humble wallet.
yours, most truly,
AKBrick
Old 08-05-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ah So, young Grasshoppers,
What? Your Motorhome left before your cord put itself neatly away?
All is not lost.
Just go to your local Allsmart store and get a replacement 30 amp plug. Splice it in to your old cord to your RV with fitted crimp-on wire connectors with humble pliers. But wait.... buy at your most honerable electric store, some heat shrink rubber tube material that fits your 30 Amp cord. Put it over your cord before you crimp most humble connectors. After most humble connectors are crimped steadfastly connecting wires , then use heat gun or propane (small) torch/lighter to shrink the "heat shrink" rubber tube over the connections. This makes most honarable seal over exposed connections.
Most waaaaaaaaaay better than humble electrical tape. And looks quite proffesional too, using humble wallet.
yours, most truly,
AKBrick
Old 08-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

No Way. I didn't write all that rot ,did I?
Please excuse all the Mosts, Humbles and honorables, okay? Sheesh!
AKBrick
Old 08-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I shrink from telling my tales of woeful mistrakes on this forum. Too painful. At least you didn't splice a 50A plug onto your 30A cord. Electrifying results!!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hee, hee,
In truth, it was my wife who did it and she called me on her cell phone the other day to tell me about it before I came home from work to find the 120vac chord laying in the driveway and have me freak out. She was on her way to a dogshow and will be home tomorrow evening. Above is my recipe for the fix when she gets back. The 30 amp chord head got ground down to the end of one of the plugs. She was able to cover it with large electrical tape. She also had to buy a new adapter.
Have a great week.
AKBrick
Old 08-08-2005, 01:56 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ha! I love it!!! Just sounds like you need a looooonger cord tho...
Old 08-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys and Gals,
My wife got back and today I just fixed the cord. Everything went according to plan.
Troth, Oh yeah, I did buy an extra thirty footer 30Amp cord. But I still had to fix the original plug end first to use it.
Now I'm getting ready to bring the Brave into the shop to get my oil sensor replaced finally.
See ya,
AKBrick