Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cummins energy command 30 problem

I have a question regarding the auto start on my Cummins energy command 30. I have a 2013 Winnebago Tour QD. the auto start has worked fine until this year. When I set it recently, I was connected to 50 amp service. There were no problems with the power supply, but when the auto generator was engaged with the air units running, the auto setting would start the generator. When the air is off the auto set does not start the generator. I've tried this on two trusted power supplies and the same thing occurs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
77littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Best thing you could do first is google and download the Cummins EC-30 manual. Winnebago did not include it with my coach so I assume you do not have it either. The EC30 will start the generator - when it is set to Auto - on one of three conditions - battery voltage, a call for AC from the thermostat or the loss of shore power. You need to program the parameters for the EC30 to start and stop as detailed in the manual.
It should not start the generator if the coach is connected to shore power and it has been properly wired. Winnebago wires a sense lead to an AC power circuit in your coach to insure it doesn't start with shore power present. You might want to make sure all of your AC breakers are on in case the sense lead is fed through one of the circuits that is off. If that doesn't fix the problem, you will likely need to call Winnebago to determine where the sense circuit (often a 12+v door bell transformer) is connected in your coach. Your problem sounds to be with the sense circuit that is not telling the EC30 that you have shore power. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I downloaded manual but did not see a way to reprogram. Hopefully Onan in Elkhart can help.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

77littledoc:
I would get them to check the "doorbell transformer" that should be connected to a "non-inverter" circuit so it will sense AC failure. Evidently, these transformers fail and the generator then starts regardless of shore power. With a failed transformer, the AGS believes shore power is not connected. That sounds like your problem. Should be a simple fix if they can find the transformer but Winnebago does not seem to show it on wiring diagrams but should indicate where it is if they call them. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

77littledoc, the "doorbell transformer" for shore power sensing on your coach is connected to the WASHER breaker, make sure it is not tripped or turned off. It is connected to the back of the breaker panel.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to the wisdom and experience of the helpful members my problem is solved. The water heater breaker next to the washer breaker was tripped. Reset that breaker and all is working fine. I had talked to Winnebago and Cummins support with no help except to drive 100 miles to Cummins south in Atlanta for diagnostics. My common sense antenna believed something simple was the problem. In fairness the Onan tech in Elkhart was on vacation. He is supposed to be very knowledgeable. I am very happy to have had the help of irv2 members.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

GREAT troubleshooting guys. This is good to know. I have not had a problem but one never knows.

Rick Y

Tags
cummins