Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Converting to 50 amp.

I am trying to convert my Adventurer 37g to 50 amp service. My MH already has the 50amp ats and 100 amp panel. I am trying to go about this as easy as possible. It looks like I need to run a new wire (6g) from ATS to the panel and add a 20/50/50/20 breaker. Then remove the 12g wire from ac #2 panel to ATS and run it straight to compressor #2. Has anyone else done this yet and if so do you have any pics of the wiring and changes? I would greatly appreciate it. Also has anyone ever added a 50 amp plug male/female where the generator plugs into the ATS and just used it that way? I am just tired of not being able to use my MH to it's potential and with the heat in S.Fl definitely need both A/C running to keep it comfortable.
wess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've been contemplating this as well and, for what they're worth (and in no particular order), here are some threads I have bookmarked:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...on-351881.html

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ml#post3822088

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...de-189612.html

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...amp-89268.html

I've also wondered about the generator circuit. If it's set up for 50A, why not set up the feed from the shore power the same way? I'm not at all sure but, if the 20A feed from the generator is only serving A/C #2, replicating or using it isn't going to give you the full benefits of 50A. There may be other issues as well.

I just replaced my transfer switch and didn't find Winnebago's wiring diagram for my 2002 Suncruiser to be all that helpful. I didn't trust a PO's re-wiring of the previous switch.

I'll re-visit my plans after you report back on how things go. Good luck.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I see that you're a new Winnieowner's member, welcome and here's a suggestion and a link to our "stickies" which will lead you to the wiring diagram for your coach, which should show both 30A and 50A wiring diagrams. There are also links to plumbing and other diagrams.

1. I suggest you set up a signature similar to mine via the "User CP" tab on the tool bar near the top of the forum page. That way, anytime you post, viewers will know what year and model MH you have.

2.Stickies -

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ams-19250.html
Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks!! I'm going to give it a shot. I ordered the breaker today and will get some wire. I know the generator thing wouldn't give full 50 amp service but would offer the use of both AC's. As I dig into this deeper I will report back maybe do a video or something because there is either very little info or it's very hard to find on this subject. It's crazy Winnebago has washer/dryer, microwave, dual a/c, electric heat and then puts in all 50 amp rated stuff and runs it at 30 amp ����*♂️ lol. Thanks for the reply and added info any bit helps!!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am working on this right now on my 37g. I started running the wire from the transfer switch to the load center today. Waiting for the breaker and shore cord to be delivered, hopefully before the end of this week so I can complete the job next weekend. I wish i had some pictures also.
KE4YIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Awesome!!! If you run across anything worth sharing please post back. Also if you can snap a few photos that would be awesome too. I am also waiting on breaker and wire to arrive and then the party begins lol. Good luck on your install!!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4YIE View Post
I am working on this right now on my 37g. I started running the wire from the transfer switch to the load center today. Waiting for the breaker and shore cord to be delivered, hopefully before the end of this week so I can complete the job next weekend. I wish i had some pictures also.
One photo that would be a great help is one of all the connections to the transfer switch labeled as to what's what. Before and after would be great but after alone would help.

I'm looking to install some ham equipment at some point so I'll be interested in any RV/Ham projects you might do. I've been inactive for the past four years or so but want to get back in the saddle.

Bob KJ6SVX
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Finished feeding the wire from the transfer switch to the load panel. Here is how I did it and a few pictures to help. Here is a picture of the wire in the compartment where the transfer switch is. I fed the wire with the help of my son in from behind the compartment. The way I did that was there is a vent cover on the side of the bed at the very back of the camper that I removed to reach down behind the transfer switch compartment. To get the wire to this point I used a piece of 12-2 wire and was able to feed it through that opening where the vent was and push it through and it went on top of the fresh water tank and from that compartment I was able to see the wire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190709_104335.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	171901

Here is a picture of the wire from the compartment under the bed going into the where the fresh water tank is. The protective covering I put over the wire would not fit through this opening.

Name:	20190709_105539.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	171902

Here is the wire on the other side of the fresh water tank going into the area over the wheels. To get the wire over to this point to feed it through the compartment door here and used the 12-2 wire that I fed through from the back where I took the vent off to pull my 6-3 wire from this point. I fed the 6-3 wire from this opening which is where the propane tank and fresh water tank is. I fed one end to the back transfer switch and the other end to the front where the load center is. I figured this was easier than feeding the 6-3 wire all the way from the transfer switch to the load center.

Name:	20190709_110714.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	171903

Here is where I fed a piece of 12-2 wire attached to about a 3 foot 1"x 1" piece of wood I had laying around to get the wire over where the wheels were and into the next compartment which holds the waste water tanks. I used the 12-2 wire as a snake to pull the heavier 6-3 wire through the compartments. I would suggest getting a fiberglass wire running kit for this part. I was able to get the wire attached to the wood to this point and then snagged it with my hook used for pulling my awning down to get it to where I could reach it and then pull it through. The piece of wood I had to cut in pieces when i got it to the edge of the tanks so I could get it out of the compartment. To get to where these tanks are I had to take off a cover with about 12 screws in it.

Name:	20190707_170800.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	171904

Here is the wire in the waste water tank compartment going up under where the cabinets are. I just took all my bottom drawers out inside the camper so I could access this area inside the camper. My son helped me here and as he fed the wire from the outside I just pulled it up through and pushed it along the floor up against the wall under the cabinets towards the load center.

Name:	20190709_112811.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	171905

Here you can see where the wire is coming into the load center area. I had to remove the load center to get to the back of it and pull the wire through.

Name:	20190709_112830.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	171899

Here is the wire inside the load center. Now I just need to attach the wire in the load center when I get the breaker and attach the wires and add the shore cable in the transfer switch. I do not plan on doing any of that until I have the breaker.

Name:	20190710_090948.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	171900

I will update and add more pictures after I complete the wiring.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the update!!! I look forward to the rest. I just got my breaker so I may work on mine this weekend. Your pictures are very helpful and I appreciate the details on how to get the wire run. I have been dreading this is and it's great to have a reference. Thanks again, Wess
Old 07-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

You guys are great, having all this will make it a cinch when I get around to doing mine.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I got home early from work today and decided to take a stab at it and ended up getting the 6/3 cable ran. I made a quick video of the wire run to the front. Thanks to KE4YIE for the pictures and tips it definitely came in handy. Below is the link to the video I made.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I got my breakers in the mail and finished my 30 to 50 amp conversion. Here are some pictures of the transfer switch and load center completed. I will start with the transfer switch and if you look at earlier post you will see the transfer switch before I wired the 6/3 wire and the new power cord. Here is the transfer switch with the new 6/3 wire completed going to the load center and the new power cord wired up. The wires on top of the transfer switch with the wire nuts is how I power the 2nd a/c compressor. Instead of running new wire from the load center to the 2nd compressor I took and used the wire already in place. I took the original wires that provided power from the transfer switch to the load center and used wire nuts to attach them to the wires going into the transfer switch from the 2nd compressor. The other wire on there is what fed power from the load center back to leg 2 of the transfer switch to feed the 2nd compressor when on 30 amp power. This wire was no longer needed so I pulled it out and put it up there. I made no changes for the wiring from the generator.

Name:	20190711_123628.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	171915

Here is a picture of the wires to feed the 2nd compressor and this is before I wire the 6/3 wire and new power cord to the transfer switch. I just wired them together and taped them up and placed them on top of the transfer switch.

Name:	20190711_121331.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	171914

Here is a picture of the load center before any new wiring took place and before I removed the black bridge wire in the top right of the load center.

Name:	20190709_114439.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	171918

Here is picture of the load center with the new 20/50/50/20 breaker and the 6/3 wire in place. The 20 amp circuit breaker in the 4th position from the left is for the 2nd compressor and this wire was taken from the 30 amp breaker that was there originally and put on this breaker. This wire goes back to the transfer switch and the wire I used wire nuts on to attach to the wire that originally went into the transfer switch to the 2nd compressor. You can see there is no wire on the 20 amp breaker in the 5th position from the left. This wire is no longer needed and was the wire in the transfer switch that I pulled out and placed on top of the transfer switch. I left this wire in place and just wire nuts on each wire inside the load center and taped it up. You will also see that the black wire bridge on the top right in removed.

Name:	20190711_130623.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	171916

Here is a another picture of the load center and you can see the new 6/3 white wire going through the amp meter loop. I took the original white wire out of that amp meter ring and reattached it to the neutral bar and ran the new 6/3 white wire through the amp meter loop. the purpose of this is so the amp readings on the panel inside the camper will work correctly. You will see on the very bottom left of the control panel the wire I unhook from the 5th breaker from the left that is no longer needed. This wire also has a little piece of green tape on it a few inches from the end which you can see in the picture. I traced this wire back to where it enters the control panel and followed the white wire and the ground wire and unhooked all of them and then put wire nuts on each individual wire and taped them up and just left them in the panel.

Name:	20190712_002310.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	171917

When completed I tested everything on 30 amps because I only have a 30 amp outlet at home and all was good and the amp readings on the panel read correctly when I turned some items on such as the a/c. I also tested it on generator power and now when on generator power it shows all the amps being used including when the 2nd a/c compressor is on. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It definitely does help!!! Thanks again for all the info I will be finishing mine tomorrow. Great job!!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Finally finished up my conversion. I made two videos of the rest of my project. Thanks again for all the photos and this they were a huge help!!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

https://youtu.be/O-71ZRqVnOY
Old 07-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

https://youtu.be/KIEaEpAPBlk
Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Nice job and good job on the video. I was surprised to see your load center and transfer switch was different than mine. I am looking forward to my next camping trip now.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I am as well, I too was a little confused about the different components but it all worked out. Happy camping!!
Old 07-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Didn't come with 50 Amp?

Hope this isn't off topic, but I need some educating.
I have had 2 Adventurers, a 2003 and a 2007, both 35'.
They had 50 amp as the standard connection and I figured they all did. Not so?
30 amp would limit some of your appliances with both airs running. Hard to believe that Winnebago did that to a high end Adventurer.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I have a hard time understanding that as well lol. I have washer dryer hookup, the dual compressor ac, hot water heater, and all. They listed it as a option. Fortunately the ATS and breaker panel was already capable of the upgrade just had to change some wires.