Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Taking it as it goes

Converting from 12v to 6v battery system

As an owner of the new Navions with a 200W solar system trying to support the troublesome Norcold compressor fridge, I am considering converting from the existing relatively low AH coach 12v battery bank to two 6v batteries in series for a total of 240 AHs. While I'm learning a lot in this process, most of what I'm learning is how much I don't know about how this whole system works and, while I know I may have to modify my battery compartment, going to two 6v batteries will keep the required mods to a minimum while greatly increasing my AHs over the current group 21 OEM NAPA junk. So, its a time and money compromise I Know.

So, the decision is still evolving, I'm trying to factor in as much as I can and I've already learning a lot from many of you in this forum with far more expertise than I have.

In general, Is there a downside to converting to 6Vs? Given that the Mercedes chassis does charge the coach batteries when the engine is running, will this be a problem for the 6vs in series? Given that battery chargers have to be set for type of battery, will this be a problem for the engine if I move to AGMs rather than wet cell?
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

battery circus

Join the crowd of unhappy campers with the cheep NAPA batteries. The two 6v batteries fit with minor changes. I did the two T-1275 Trojan batteries for 300 Ah. It is not a difficult change to the box. Hit my picture on the left and go to my albums where there are a lot of modifications that I have done to my View. You may want to add anther panel to the roof to get 300 watts. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Taking it as it goes

Thanks Tucsontoy, I’ve looked at your pics earlier. it will probably come to that modification and I’ll use your guidance. For now, I’m just pulling together all my options. Did you remove the fuse on the top of your fridge?

As others have said, I was well aware of the fridge related issues before I pulled the plug on this coach but the folks at Winnebago assured me repeatedly that it had all been corrected on my particular coach. Right.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Team

No major downsides. You'll have to religiously add water to your 6v batteries. They off gas, too. So, you have that minor issue. You have to be sure to connect them to chargers and loads using both batteries. Don't connect pos and neg charging and load leads to just one battery. Think of them as one large 12v battery with a pos lead on one and the negative lead on the other.

It's a LOT more expensive... but you should at least consider LiPo4 batteries. Really a lot bigger job and more expense. But you might be ending up there anyway in the near future.

Also 2-6v batteries are going to weigh a fair bit. Some would say a ton.

From what I hear, the new Views are seeing their 12v compressor fridges running all the time and this is what's using all the power.

We have a 110v Residential fridge and it runs off of the inverter - but it is super efficient and the installation was well thought out.

PS. Forum member Kayak73 has this issue and installed the two 6v batteries and he's posted extensively on this subject. I think he suspects that the Converter is not up to fully charging the batteries. He's also found that when the batteries are charging that the solar charger is hampering a full charge. At least I think that's what he's said.

Here's a link to his thread: http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...le-354516.html
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Yes, extensively, but I really just want to help others who I know are struggling with the new V/N rigs. Just a note to help Free Ranger. Today my remote pendant for the PD9245 came in. Uncovered the converter and plugged in the pendant and solar was on and charging at low amps (raining), converter was off, battery probably down 30%. Turned on converter (using the breaker) and it immediately went into float mode and the blinks on the pendant confirmed my prior testing. I do think this converter is also going down. This will be my second PD9245. When in bulk mode I measure only 13.9 - 14.0 at the battery connects of converter, should be 14.4.

Held down the button on the pendant and forced the converter into bulk mode - it worked! So there is a tidbit you want to remember. The little pendant remote is only $11 from Amazon - get it! When you get behind dry camping and want to charge the battery, start the generator and set the converter to bulk charge (green led on pendant steady on). Of course I took the hard way but I'm happy I have the shutoff switches to isolate the solar panels/controller when working on batteries and testing, etc.

There's a bunch of good info at battery university - google it, read and get on top of batteries, connections etc., it is something you always deal with in the RV, one way or another.
https://batteryuniversity.com/
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
Taking it as it goes

Thanks again Kayak73. Your information is always helpful and appreciated. Retirement RVing wasn't supposed to be a career.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You are welcome and after 20 years of this it is always a learning curve with each RV. Technology changes, engines, everything changes, mux wiring systems and I agree, would be nice almost to get back to the basics or Luckenbach, TX or something. It really does seem like a career sometimes.

BTW, I'm pulling those high dollar cutoff switches to use later in the battery compartment etc. I found two 30amp switchable breakers at DellCity for 7.50 ea. That will work just fine for the solar disconnects.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Got a link to that switchable breaker
Touchdown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchdown2 View Post
Got a link to that switchable breaker

https://www.delcity.net/store/Del-Ci...FXf_4wcdUJEDbg

Now where is that tiny url thing I used before...

Or...just google Del City 30 amp switchable breaker
part 76855

Get two, one for the lead from the panel NEG to controller and one for the controller NEG to battery ground. I've been told to disconnect the NEG from panels first, then the other. You should provide a 20% margin increase in current to trip the breakers so if you should max out the 3 port Zamp system you will still be good with these because you would/should never have more than 24-25 amps going into the combiner - same reason.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just trying to understand something here...connecting your two 6V batteries in series will give you 12V, but not effect the amperage. It should remain at whatever the original Ah capacity was for the batteries. No?
Skylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylake View Post
Just trying to understand something here...connecting your two 6V batteries in series will give you 12V, but not effect the amperage. It should remain at whatever the original Ah capacity was for the batteries. No?

There is a link to the battery university given...

Batteries in series double the voltage, amperage is the same as one of the single batteries. Two 6VDC batteries at 125AH ea yields in series, 12.7VDC at 125AH.

Batteries in parallel the voltage remains the same as a single battery but the amperage is added together, ie., two 150 amp 12.7vdc batteries in parallel = 300AH at 12.7VDC

This assumes, know what that means, that we have identical brand new batteries in perfect condition and at spec. Each connection method has plus and minus (benefits) depending on the application but normally when only TWO batteries are involved and they are both deep cycle, high end quality spec batteries it is a wash but most favor series connect for longevity. That's simply because the 6volt batteries will have normally larger plates for the desired amperage and voltage.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Somewhere in the refrigerator discussions I put up a link that shows charge rates for a typical deep cycle battery. I mention that because it can get very steep trying to put a charge back into deep cycle FLA batteries. The more AH you put in that battery tray the more of a challenge it becomes to get a charge put back into them. So...as everyone starts a sentence with now...plan your recharge ability and think of the battery bank as a gas tank. You don't always need it full but if it runs dry it is dead and need replacement likely sooner. You want to manage the load, discharge rate and charge ability in hours required. Float the discharge between 50% SOC 60% SOC, recharge to 80 or 90% SOC. It is very difficult to do with our 12volt refrigerator. I'm not saying impossible but very difficult for those of us who want to dry camp. It is not simply about tossing in enough AH to run overnight, I have done that and I can make it 3 nights no problem. Then I am too far behind on the recharge and down in the power curve to get back without a 24 hour converter/charger run.

Solar is great, it works for those is some areas better than others. If you camp in long sun days, open areas etc. it helps a lot but it is more a supplement than a solution for the 12vdc refrigerator. FLA batteries have a high resistance to charge. AGM, less and will recharge a bit faster, LiFeP04 has almost no resistance to charge and will take all you can throw at it up to 1C.

Don't think you can toss in a 100amp charger and get those FLA batteries back much faster either, all you will do is boil and out-gas because the internal resistance or charge rate is too high to take it and you get energy dissipated in heat -> boiling and gassing.

Long term the only real solution for dry camping with this refrigerator is probably lithium, otherwise your generator will need frequent oil changes.

Now if I could find good 24 volt panels that would fit on my roof I would put in the MPPT and down rate charge at higher amperage but it would still not provide a real payback and solution for the fridge. It would work far better with lithium also.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #13
Minnie Winnie 26A

Short answer... yes. A 215 ah 6 volt battery becomes a 215ah 12 volt battery when 2 in series.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Remember that you don't really have 250 or so usable amps--FLA or AGM batteries should not be discharged to more than 50%, or 12. 2 volts.

If you want the best--go with LiFePO4 batteries. But you will need a special battery charger, a different relay to connect with the alternator, plus really understand batteries. We have done this on our boat--didn't do it with the Via 25T, because some pieces of the puzzle were not easily available at the time (having to do with charging). Now, I would go with the Li batteries. Weight is about 1/3 for the more amps. But they are expensive. The boat with pure sine wave 2000 watt inverter, 85 amp charger, battery to battery charger and 2 100 amp hour (usable) cost about $3,000.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
As an owner of the new Navions with a 200W solar system trying to support the troublesome Norcold compressor fridge, I am considering converting from the existing relatively low AH coach 12v battery bank to two 6v batteries in series for a total of 240 AHs. While I'm learning a lot in this process, most of what I'm learning is how much I don't know about how this whole system works and, while I know I may have to modify my battery compartment, going to two 6v batteries will keep the required mods to a minimum while greatly increasing my AHs over the current group 21 OEM NAPA junk. So, its a time and money compromise I Know.

So, the decision is still evolving, I'm trying to factor in as much as I can and I've already learning a lot from many of you in this forum with far more expertise than I have.

In general, Is there a downside to converting to 6Vs? Given that the Mercedes chassis does charge the coach batteries when the engine is running, will this be a problem for the 6vs in series? Given that battery chargers have to be set for type of battery, will this be a problem for the engine if I move to AGMs rather than wet cell?
First off putting two six volt batteries in series doubles the voltage to give you 12 volts. Hooked in series the Amp Hours do not double. Many that are unhappy with two 12 volt batteries or are comparing amp hours to two six volt batteries would be better served by going up in size from their small 12 volt batteries to larger group 29 or even group 31 high quality deep cycle batteries. As many as 80 Amp Hours per battery can be gained by taking this path.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post

There is a relatively small advantage by using 6 v vs 12 v batteries. You will gane more by just adding more battery ah capacity. It's a challenge keeping up with a compressor refer. Lee
Leevormelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevormelker View Post
There is a relatively small advantage by using 6 v vs 12 v batteries. You will gane more by just adding more battery ah capacity. It's a challenge keeping up with a compressor refer. Lee

Lee you are the master of understatement. I have 300AH, 2 T-1275s at 150AH 12.7vdc each in parallel. That right there is a statement. I can run the fridge a while, three nights maybe four depending on solar and generator hours but then I've gotta bug out for a power pole. That's keeping the discharge to 50% SOC. Normally I have been doing a real equalization one time about every 90 days and so far, after 14 months, the big Trojans are hanging in with the work load and specific gravity is right on for over 95% original value in each cell. I might loose a cell tomorrow but I doubt it. Total cost for the two Trojans was $300 or $1.00 per AH. Hugh weight penalty but I wanted to try that before biting the LiFeP04 dollars. Let me see, $1.00/AH or $10.00/AH plus new charger and mods. If I get 5 years from the Trojans I will be shocked because they are being worked hard.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

2 6v batteries for 12v bank

I am very happy with my 2, 10 year old large lifeline Agm batteries mounted on their sides under my entry staircase. Check my irv2 pages for more info and pics of my installation.
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:34 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
I am very happy with my 2, 10 year old large lifeline Agm batteries mounted on their sides under my entry staircase. Check my irv2 pages for more info and pics of my installation.

OK DAN L, give us a link to "your" pages and tell us how that class A rig relates to the challenges faced by a small class C rig, particularly the 18V24D or 19V24D... The OP stated clearly in his opening post he is the owner of a small Class C rig, like mine, equipped with the 12VDC marine refrigerator by Norcold. That refrigerator has been a real loser in this particular configuration with a WGO View, limited roof space, limited weight space for batteries. There was a ton of misleading information about this combination provided by the famous dealer next to the factory - videos which can not possibly ever happen running this fridge. It is NOT simply a residential refrigerator in a tiny RV.

For over two years Winnebago has dodged, skirted, side-stepped and mislead everyone about this refrigerator and the overall design of this particular RV regarding suitability to even run the fridge overnight with OEM batteries. They should shoulder the responsibility or provide owners with some satisfaction. The first three or four months of ownership there was no answer - except - tough luck, you bought a fridge that won't work in your RV. Norcold replaced it finally, it works because I put in the monster batteries. The latest lie from WGO about this unit was spread around indicating the fuse holder was the "real" problem after a year spent getting units replaced and thermostats replaced. The thing is the fuse holder in my unit is fine, is not overheating, and the refrigerator works great, better than spec. The problem is no way to operate it was provided, period, by WGO except a power pole connection. Stupid issue, stupid me for buying it. Silly glued on worthless solar panels on the top - die fast - glued and screwed to the roof.

A search on DAN L provided no links except every post you've made, doesn't hit a blog etc.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:19 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

While the prior post seems a bit toxic consider the dealers who pushed the rig, the video put up by the one famous dealer and all the refusal to assist in problem resolution by the manufacturer of the RV it does represent the real situation many of us are facing. Those who simply want to camp plug-to-plug are fine, they simply put in some group 31 batteries and no problems at all. Well, in my rig they would need to chop the battery tray - it was made to fit only group24 batteries, a special treat by WGO. I imagine they just sit around and chuckle about us needing to chop up the battery tray to put in some real batteries. Forget that OCCC weight sticker, you are gonna take away a big chunk of that immediately just to drive the thing between power poles and have some ability to overnight in emergency stops and not lose your food.

All the bashing some do about other manufacturers having small OCCC is really silly, at least some others still put in a refrigerator that will function in the little rig and a battery tray that is not only G24. Given the reality I would say the "others" are really taking care of the customers in this regard.

Tags
battery