Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Converter Output Question

My converter puts out 13.65 volts, when the batteries are fully charged the output rate drops to 13.2. My manual says the converter will reduce output as the batteries get the full charge. (Unless I was reading it wrong) I was thinking the output should be 13.65 regardless of the battery state.. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The higher voltages can cook your batteries. Get eyes on it and get a detailed manual online. Hopefully it is a multi stage that can drop down to a lower amperage output and will not cook your batteries. I use a trik l start device on my house (It's under the floor) and a maintainer for the house. I leave my converter off and let my solar do the bulk of charging. Everyone's needs are different based on how and where you camp. Protect the batteries and you will get years of reliable service.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm a little confused by the phrasing of your question but 13.2 volts is appropriate for a multi-stage converter to put out as a maintenance voltage once your batteries are fully charged.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I’m sure my charging system is doing as it should. That’s what I was asking. If my converter output is 13.7 volts and the output drops to 13.2 when the batteries get charged, is that output drop normal. I understand you to say that it is normal for a multi-stage converter. Thanks for the clarification. Hope I didn’t confuse this more. Ha
Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It is normal for the voltage to drop to 13.2 . 13.2 is the float voltage and it should hold it at that until the batteries reguire a bulk charge again. Sounds like the converter is working ok.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The key is to make sure the charger is only putting minimum amps in a maintainer mode no matter to voltage.

Different type batteries require different float voltages. In marine chargers we set the battery type and temperature for the maintenance mode. I don't think the "standard converter" can do this. This is why I say you will cook your batteries leaving "most" converters running as a maintainer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Float_voltage
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I suspect you a WFCO converter unless it has been changed out. If so is is a three stage converter will operate at 13.2, 13.6 and 14.4 volts depending on the state of Charge (SoC) of the battery. So what you observed is normal for a three stage converter.

I leave my Minnie plugged into shore power 100% of the time while in storage. The converter applies 13.2 volts to maintain the battery. No need to use a trickle charger with a three stage converter.

In my 5th the solar system provides 100% of the 12volt power and the converters have been turned off since the solar was installed.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It is new so it has never been changed out. I haven’t opened up anything to check the type of converter. I agree it’s doing what it should now that I better understand how it works. Thanks for the replies. Good information.

QUOTE=rarebear.nm;3832503]I suspect you a WFCO converter unless it has been changed out. If so is is a three stage converter will operate at 13.2, 13.6 and 14.4 volts depending on the state of Charge (SoC) of the battery. So what you observed is normal for a three stage converter.

I leave my Minnie plugged into shore power 100% of the time while in storage. The converter applies 13.2 volts to maintain the battery. No need to use a trickle charger with a three stage converter.

In my 5th the solar system provides 100% of the 12volt power and the converters have been turned off since the solar was installed.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Lead-acid batteries essentially require 3 stages of charge voltage/current for a proper charge so as to not to reduce the life expectancy of the battery which can happen if improperly charged. To make things even more complicated, the different types of lead-acid batteries, flooded, AGM, gel, have their own particular voltage requirements. The basic stages for wet or flooded cell are: Bulk (14.6-14.8 volts or more); Absorption should happen around 80% of full charge where a steady voltage around 14.6 volts is applied but the current will fall off as the battery approaches full charge. This is because lead-acid batteries resist being charged and get more difficult as they approach full. Somewhere between 85% and 95% full the current will drop substantially and cause the charger to switch to Float charge (13.2-13.4 volts) and spend the next 12-24 hours to bring the battery up to full charge. This is a very important step to also avoid shortening the life of your battery.

Note: Partial charging will reduce the life of the battery through sulfation which causes the battery to lose storage capacity over time. Your once-new 75 amp hour battery starts dropping off to 70, 65, 60, 55 etc. until at some point you are charging the battery more than you are using it. Then it's time to buy a new one and start all over again.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter