Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

When it comes to electrical, I admit, I am a numbskull.

Most of the time we are plugged in to good 50Amp but last 3 days we were on the genny and batteries. When we got back on 50Amp had a hot battery warning and sure enought the innermost of the 3 batteries (group 31 12 volt 2 years old) was hot. 2 outermost batteries are cool to the touch.

I don't know for sure but I think the one battery is cooked, will be checking it out today when it gets cool enough. Inverter is off, not sure it it caused a problem or not.

Anyone know where the converter is located? Haven't found it yet. Transfer switch and inverter are in the power bay, where is the converter?

Thanks for any help. Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When it comes to electrical, I admit, I am a numbskull.

Most of the time we are plugged in to good 50Amp but last 3 days we were on the genny and batteries. When we got back on 50Amp had a hot battery warning and sure enought the innermost of the 3 batteries (group 31 12 volt 2 years old) was hot. 2 outermost batteries are cool to the touch.

I don't know for sure but I think the one battery is cooked, will be checking it out today when it gets cool enough. Inverter is off, not sure it it caused a problem or not.

Anyone know where the converter is located? Haven't found it yet. Transfer switch and inverter are in the power bay, where is the converter?

Thanks for any help. Mike
Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On the floor, under the refrigerator. You'll need to remove a panel to get to it, possibly the speaker too.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Look outside in the compartment where your electrical power comes in. Yous is probably a inverter/converter combo unit mounted in the bay.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Mine is located in the last rear compartment on the left side where the power cord comes from. Mine is mounted on the left wall of that compartment.

My m/h is a 2005 Itasca Meridian 36G.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
Mine is located in the last rear compartment on the left side where the power cord comes from. Mine is mounted on the left wall of that compartment.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine is mounted to the kitchen floor, under the bottom drawer straight down below the stovetop. I just pull the drawer out to get to it. If you call Winnie, they can pull up your plan and tell you exactly where yours is.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The converter is under the ref. as mentioned by some of the welcome responses. When I spoke to Bryan at Winnie it seems the three panels are backwards from what they show for this coach. Guess soeone read the plan upside down .

The one 12 volt, Group 31 is cooked. Most likely not the fault of the converter, just a bad cell took it down.

I spoke to Trojan corporate and received a lot of help from their tech. ser. rep., nice people, very helpful.

I have spoken to the Trojan distributor nearest me and will be taking the coach to them to replace the 3 12 volts with 4 T 105, 6 volts. Quoted $98.00 each plus labor ($65.00 hour) plus new wiring as necessary. I feel more comfortable having them do it properly and being able to take advantage of warranty on the batteries if necessary.

I'm going to dig out the converter anyway just to check all connections.

Thanks for all responses. Mike