Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
I have a PD9260c which tripped my breaker. After checking everything I discovered that when I rinsed my black tank it leaked on the converter causing it to short. I'm hoping once it dries out all well be okay. Anyone have any thoughts? Txs
What caused the tank to loose integrity? Just how wet is wet?

You must first repair the leak. Next, if it were mine, I would find a way to protect the converter for this sort of problem.

As far as the converter is concerned, I hope you have dried everything you can see. We have no way of knowing if this damage is permanent until the unit is completely dry. At that point you can try the breaker again.

The tanks have nasty stuff in them. Without disconnecting the converter and removing it to the workbench, you can't truly inspect and clean it.

Hope my input helps you to resolve this sad for you issure.

Happy trails.

Rick
Old 03-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
What caused the tank to loose integrity? Just how wet is wet?

You must first repair the leak. Next, if it were mine, I would find a way to protect the converter for this sort of problem.

As far as the converter is concerned, I hope you have dried everything you can see. We have no way of knowing if this damage is permanent until the unit is completely dry. At that point you can try the breaker again.

The tanks have nasty stuff in them. Without disconnecting the converter and removing it to the workbench, you can't truly inspect and clean it.

Hope my input helps you to resolve this sad for you issure.

Happy trails.

Rick
Rick is was the black tank rinse after I had done a dump. It had never done it before, but I did let it run a little longer. I had the dump valve open . This is in my Big Horn 5th wheel but I saw this thread. I'll check the basement again in a bit, already plan to relocate for ease. I have a small piece of horse stall matt to put in on which will elevated an inch. Things were easier to get to on my Sightseer.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

If you replace the converter
Please do not toss the old converter in the trash
I repair them and am always looking for additional spare parts

The 30amp blade fuses are wired in parallel a poor attempt to get a higher current fuse. If they blow the things to check are outside the converter - first check the batteries then the cables
Old 03-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I pulled the converter and looked inside..blew it off and saw no moisture. It still tripped a breaker and made a small click. It has a dead short somewhere, Progressive will do an exchange for $100 so I went that route.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Hope the OP was able to fix his problem. Sort of surprised nobody caught this:
Quote:
These 30 amp blade fuses must be for the DC output. With the ac power disconnected, I tried to install one of the 30 amp fuses and it immediately blew (big time!!).
That indicates a problem with his DC distribution network.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Hope the OP was able to fix his problem. Sort of surprised nobody caught this:

That indicates a problem with his DC distribution network.

Dave
I don't think that was the OP but a speculation by another poster. The OP problem is with tripping 'the breaker'. I guess he is talking about the output breaker on the converter.

His black water tank issue would be better addressed on the 5th wheel forum posts where the experienced with his style unit would be better understood. But, I do hope we can help with the inverter problem. If it is a Progressive he might do better with another brand.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Original poster in post #5 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/conv...ml#post1826830

Quote:
I don't think that was the OP but a speculation by another poster. The OP problem is with tripping 'the breaker'. I guess he is talking about the output breaker on the converter.
Please go back and read post #1 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/conv...ml#post1826738) as well as the title of the thread. His problem was the blown fuses.

Dave
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Original poster in post #5 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/conv...ml#post1826830

Please go back and read post #1 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/conv...ml#post1826738) as well as the title of the thread. His problem was the blown fuses.

Dave
Thanks for the correction Dave. I got confused with another thread. Totally my error. Your assessment is correct. The only thing that would blow the 30A DC fuses would be DC related. If the inverter is drawing too much DC current internally, that would blow the fuses. If the battery charger were drawing too much current (short in a battery), that would blow the fuses.

My bet is the converter. They don't like being under water.

I have no experiance with 5th wheels. Why did the black tank over rinse water back up into the bay? I have not seen the OP post that his shower or toilet over-filled. He could do the same thing again if the black tank problem is not corrected.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

If the battery or batteries are accidently wired reverse polarity the fuses will also blow. They are for polarity protection al well as overload protection.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Dave
I provided post #5 and this original thread. Yes, my old converter blew the 30 amp DC output blade fuses (not the 120 vac breaker). The problem was an internal short in the converter. Replaced with the faulty converter with a PD 9260. Works great.

I have no DC distribution problems.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Glad to hear you resolved the issue easily. It was you statement in post #5
Quote:
These 30 amp blade fuses must be for the DC output. With the ac power disconnected, I tried to install one of the 30 amp fuses and it immediately blew (big time!!)
that me ask if you had a DC distribution problem.

Have a great summer,
Dave

Tags
converter, fuse