Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Need an opinion from you electron wizards, pls.

The 2007 Adventurer Specs call out 55 Amps output for the Converter/Charger. If that unit was to be replaced, should the replacement be 45 Amps or 60 Amps? Those are the two aftermarket choices given (not 55 Amps), other than the OEM unit.

If a 45 Amp unit was to be installed, what would be the ramifications?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Need an opinion from you electron wizards, pls.

The 2007 Adventurer Specs call out 55 Amps output for the Converter/Charger. If that unit was to be replaced, should the replacement be 45 Amps or 60 Amps? Those are the two aftermarket choices given (not 55 Amps), other than the OEM unit.

If a 45 Amp unit was to be installed, what would be the ramifications?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 01-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm not a wizard but I do have an opinion There are two considerations:

- the charging issue

If you are boondocking and run your batteries way down (not a good idea), the higher amperage charge rating will get your batteries topped off a little faster (45 amps vs. 60) if you run the gen set to power the charger.

I believe that 45 amp charging capability is fine for hanging around the campground use.

- the 'converter' issue

Here you are asking the converter to keep up with all of your 12V loads in the coach. 45 amps is plenty!!

If you like to boondock, go for the largest unit you can find. Otherwise I say 45 amps should be fine.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you know what guage wire runs between the battery and the converter we would be able to answer your question exactly. You can definatly install anything that is rated for lower than your existing. Remember, a unit spec'd for 60amps means 60amps for charging AND RV use, which means if you have a bunch of lights and a tv on, the converter may only be charging your batteries with 50amps. BUT, it has the potential to charge at 60amps with nothing in the RV on, so you need to find the wire guage size before upgrading.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

thudman, a basic rule of thumb is "you get what you pay for...". With that in mind, I'd opt for a converter that also has a "Smart Charger", like the Intellipower w/ Charge Wizard. It can desulfate your batteries and keep them in top condition. -Unlike a "regular" converter that simply drops to a trickle charge (eg- Parallax and others).
Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

troth:
That's what I just bought & installed. Works great so far. Wish I had not waited 3+ years.

Here's my thought: This new unit is a 45 Amp. New Adventurers (& others) call out 55 Amps in their Spec (but I do not know the mfr of the new unit). If it's still Parallax/Magnatec, I want to replace it w/my IntelliPower 45A unit (w/extended 3 yr warranty) in a newer Adventurer (maybe in a yr or 2). IntelliPower makes a 45A & next one up is 60A. To be conservative, I'd go w/the 45A, since I do little boondocking, & full-time w/shore pwr. With my luck the 5 Amp difference would smoke a wire :-/

Wadda ya think? "Just my 2 cents"...Do ya want change?

Thudman

Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I think that's a good plan Thudman.