Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Converter changeout

Well, after reading several posts about dirty DC affecting my EMC monitor, I have decided that it must be time to change because mine is inop. The question is which one? I have looked at several and am totally confused. We have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. The OEM converter was a 45 amp. I have been looking at PD9145A, PD9145AV, WFCO and Powermax. I would appreciate any advice through your personal experience.
Steve and Cheryl Hibberts
w/Peanut, 3rd Crewmember
2000 Winnebago Adventurer/ Jeep Wrangler Toad
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

354 mbs cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
Well, after reading several posts about dirty DC affecting my EMC monitor, I have decided that it must be time to change because mine is inop. The question is which one? I have looked at several and am totally confused. We have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. The OEM converter was a 45 amp. I have been looking at PD9145A, PD9145AV, WFCO and Powermax. I would appreciate any advice through your personal experience.
Steve and Cheryl Hibberts
w/Peanut, 3rd Crewmember
2000 Winnebago Adventurer/ Jeep Wrangler Toad
Try to stick with whats in it as all the wires will be the same hook -up If any thing up-grade and get the 3-way charger if yours didnt already have it.
And you can go with more amperage and clean sine wave.
LonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I previously owned a 2007 Adventurer and decided to change out the factory converter. It was claimed to have cleaner DC power and a better charging system. The replacement converter was made by Progressive Dynamics, Inc.. The model I chose was the Inteli-Power Model PD9260C. It has a Charge Wizard in the charger system which is a 3 stage system and did an excellent job.

The installation was very easy and simple. Wiring is exactly like the OEM one.

Good luck.

Gary
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just changed mine over the weekend from the Parallax 7455BT to the Progressive Dynamics PD9260C. Install of the new unit was easy after drilling some new mounting holes - the old one was a PITA to get out as the hex head screws used by Winnebago to install stripped (the hex in the head of the screw). Drilled one out and had to grind another one off. After that it was easy. There is enough slack in the wiring (at least on mine) to make the connection (PD9260 is shorter than the 7455BT).
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks a bunch. My next question was about increasing amps. Manufacturers seem to always go with the min. requirements. I will step mine up.
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have the same 35U. I was researching converter replacement recently and Randy at bestconverter.com recommended the Powermax Boondocker for that rig. Nore sure of the real differences but the Trojan batteries I run prefer a high charge voltage.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn
Thanks a bunch. My next question was about increasing amps. Manufacturers seem to always go with the min. requirements. I will step mine up.
I have to ditto on the PD9260 and I recently installed one. The "60" is the amp rating. PD makes models upwards of 80amps or so.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

converter upgrade

A year ago I installed an Iota 45 amp converter in our Itasca it replaced the stock parallax unit been very happy with the results the batteries cruise at 13.62 volts it has the pendant to show which mode it is in have not had to add any water at all. If you search "DriVers" blogs he has a step by step install it fit perfectly in the stock location even used two of the mounting screws, wires were proper length too! good luck

Tags
converter