Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I don't know if all converters are the same but mine runs all the time. My house batteries are warm but seem to have enough power. I tried a external charger on them, leaving the coach disconnected from shore power. Charger stays at 6 amps with nothing on in the coach. Any suggestions??

2005 Sunrise 33V Workhorse 8.1
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I don't know if all converters are the same but mine runs all the time. My house batteries are warm but seem to have enough power. I tried a external charger on them, leaving the coach disconnected from shore power. Charger stays at 6 amps with nothing on in the coach. Any suggestions??

2005 Sunrise 33V Workhorse 8.1
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked the battery voltage? If the charger has been on for atleast a day the voltage should be around 13.2 volts.

Batteries should not be warm when being floated. This tells me they are still being charged, which should have stopped within at least a day of starting the charge process.

Use a hydrometer and check each battery cell. You may have a bad cell.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry B:
Have you checked the battery voltage? If the charger has been on for atleast a day the voltage should be around 13.2 volts.

Batteries should not be warm when being floated. This tells me they are still being charged, which should have stopped within at least a day of starting the charge process.

Harry

I think you are right. I believe the batteries are fried. When I checked the water 2 weeks ago I could see the top of all the plates. I'm not used to this type converter. My previous rig had an Intellicharger that only gave the batteries what they needed. This one seems to be full charge all the time.

Thanks

Roscoe

Use a hydrometer and check each battery cell. You may have a bad cell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-20-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

A Hygrometer test is a must with your problem. I think you will find a dead cell. Been there.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bayway:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harry B:

Harry

I think you are right. I believe the batteries are fried. When I checked the water 2 weeks ago I could see the top of all the plates. I'm not used to this type converter. My previous rig had an Intellicharger that only gave the batteries what they needed. This one seems to be full charge all the

And if the tops of the plates are not covered with the water, this could be a problem, they should always be covered with water.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bayway:
I don't know if all converters are the same but mine runs all the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What brand converter and model do you have?

BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My converter is always on as long as I am plugged into shore power. The fan only runs when the converter becomes a little too warm from an extended load. If the fan runs continuously then it is normally being over worked.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Parallux Converter. I removed both batteries today. Both were bad or overcharged. They were completely dry and I filled all cells of both batteries 3 weeks ago. I keep the zcoach plugged in all the time so I guess the converter runs all the time. I'm changing to a Progressive Dynamics 9260 converter next week when I install the 2 new batteries. In my previous unit I had the PD Converter and only had to check the water in the batteries 1 time per year.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #10
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Bayway,
Where did you purchase your Progressive Dynamics 9260, I have been wanting to do this to my coach for some time.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I am getting my PD 9260 off ebay. There at least 2 sellers with good prices. Mine is $155.00 with free shipping. I am going to get the pendent with the unit so you can see exactly what the converter is doing. It only provides the power the batteries need and is super quiet.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse
Old Odyssey Toad
Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #12
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I will check out ebay.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:48 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bayway:
I am getting my PD 9260 off ebay. There at least 2 sellers with good prices. Mine is $155.00 with free shipping. I am going to get the pendent with the unit so you can see exactly what the converter is doing. It only provides the power the batteries need and is super quiet.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse
Old Odyssey Toad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! One of the best things I did to our motorhome was dump the lousy Parallax Single stage Converter/Charger and install the Progressive Dynmamics PD9245 with the Remote Pendant. This is a true 3-stage charger and will not boil the water in your batteries. The remote Pendant allows you to see the mode of the charger, and also allows you to manually change the charge rate of your charger.

Ebay is where I got mine also.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Keep your old Parallax for a handy battery charger. Just cut the clamps off one end of a Minnesota necklace (jumper cables) and attach to the old Parallax.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Keep your old Parallax for a handy battery charger. Just cut the clamps off one end of a Minnesota necklace (jumper cables) and attach to the old Parallax. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea Donovan...I tried to give it away for a couple of months with no takers, so I threw it in the trash.....

It wont charge your batteries at at 14.5 voltage...it only charges your battery at 13.8 volts max, so it would take too long to charge 'em.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote