Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Confused About Use of Battery Disconnect Switch

I am confused as to whether my “House (Coach) Battery Disconnect Switch” should be in the “On” (battery in circuit) or “Off” (battery out of circuit) position when my 2006 Winnebago Sightseer is plugged into 120V Shore power. What is the proper setting when “hooked-up”?
TrailerFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I've never turned mine off. I'm plugged in all the time I'm parked.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerFool View Post
I am confused as to whether my “House (Coach) Battery Disconnect Switch” should be in the “On” (battery in circuit) or “Off” (battery out of circuit) position when my 2006 Winnebago Sightseer is plugged into 120V Shore power. What is the proper setting when “hooked-up”?
TrailerFool
If you mean
the so called "salesman switch", I have never turned mine off, (hooked up or not), except by accident.
Mine is in the side of my entry stepwell.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I used to turn both of the battery disconnect switches off when it was stored with no hook ups to keep the batteries from draining but now that I can plug it in I don't.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerFool View Post
I have a 2008 Winnebago. When I talked to Winnebago service adviser because my batteries were not holding a charge even when plugged into 120v in storage. I was turning my disconnects off, both house and service batteries. Not good. My system has the trik-l-charge and in order for both set of batteries to charge up both disconnects need to be on. PLUS the step needs to be turned off. The converter cannot keep up with the charge if the step is left on as there is a continual current to the step because it has a current limiter switch. The draw with the step on is more than the charger can trickle.

I have a mid entry and the house on/off switch is right there at the entry. When I leave storage and close the screen door with the step on it retracts. Then I reach in and turn the step off. Ever since (5+ years now) my batteries stay charged when plugged into shore power.

Call Winnebago and ask them questions. Do you have a trik-l-charger? Do the disconnect switches need to be on for the system to charge? etc. If you give them the serial number of your MH they will look up the build.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

My manual says to use the battery disconnect when connected to shore power for extended periods of time. I don't but I do check the water level in batteries about once a month and find that water needs to be added often.

My stock converter started making some odd noises after ten years of 24/7 use so a few weeks ago I replaced it with a three stage Progressive Dynamics PD9245 which is supposed to reduce the need to add water. Hope it does.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

A related question.

I am ready to park my MH for a couple of months. It will be in a heated garage with electric available. Is it best to keep it plugged in? It seems to me this would keep the batteries charged. On the other hand if I disconnect the chassis and house batteries they should be Ok for a couple of months in heated storage, correct?

The owner's manual isn't really clear on this. They caution about keeping it plugged in that the electrolyte could drop.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post
A related question.

I am ready to park my MH for a couple of months. It will be in a heated garage with electric available. Is it best to keep it plugged in? It seems to me this would keep the batteries charged. On the other hand if I disconnect the chassis and house batteries they should be Ok for a couple of months in heated storage, correct?

The owner's manual isn't really clear on this. They caution about keeping it plugged in that the electrolyte could drop.

Thanks.
nova 42qd
For 17 years, my coach has always been plugged in, (except when we were traveling or boondocking).

The automatic 3 stage charger in my Freedom 20 inverter/charger, (properly set), has never failed to maintain a charge in my 4 12V deep cycle house batteries.

However, my inverter/charger does not charge the 2 "maintanace free" 12V chassis batteries...(I connect a BatteryMINDer: Battery MINDer | 12v 1.3 Amp Battery Charger, Maintainer, & Conditioner, to the chassis batteries when the coach is "in storage").

I check the house battery electrolyte level every 3 months, (but I only need to add water every 6-9 months).

The original 6 batteries lasted 11 years. (the current set is 6 years old).

It's 22 degrees below zero, my coach is sitting next to my garage, connected to a 20A receptacle via a 50' 12ga extension cord, (and will be until mid February).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

But he has a Winnebago.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, fuse