Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Condenser Fan Relay/Wiring

1998 Winnebago 32' Chevy Chassis (454ci)

I am wondering where the relay is located for the Fan relay and where each of the leads are wired to? I looked at the wiring diagram from winnebagoparts.com and the schematic for the fan relay does not line up with what is on the motorhome, it seems.

The original fan seized up, and the new fan does not power. So I am trying to run everything down to see what is bad.

Thanks,
Casey
CMac455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'd think the condenser fan relay for the dash HVAC would be in with the relays and fuses provided by the Chevy Chassis. Often in a plastic box under the hood. Check with Chevy to be sure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

On the right side of the engine compartment on the firewall there is a black box with a removable cover. There are several fuseable link wires. One of them is in the fan circuit. It blows if the motor is seized and the current goes way up.
I bought the right size at a Chevy dealer parts department and cut it to the same length as the burned out one.

As I recall the relay was on the heater/ac plenum on the left side or in that area.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Aux cooling fan

I also have a 97 Winnebago that Aux Cooling fan doesnt work . I jumped the fan direct and it does work. Yes winnebago wiring does not match. Trying to figure it out. I do know it used to work.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
On the right side of the engine compartment on the firewall there is a black box with a removable cover. There are several fuseable link wires. One of them is in the fan circuit. It blows if the motor is seized and the current goes way up.
I bought the right size at a Chevy dealer parts department and cut it to the same length as the burned out one.

As I recall the relay was on the heater/ac plenum on the left side or in that area.
I jumped that one and it turned on the vent blower.

I checked all of the fusable links and, even though they all have high resistance, they had continuity and were consistent. The wire burnt in half before the fusable link (on the power distribution post side) which meant that the fusable link didn't really do its job, which is weird. I soldered that wire back together, but still nothing so it leads me to believe that it could be something else that wire goes to.

I don't know if that's actually the condenser fan's relay's wire though.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I'd disconnect the battery, and the wires at the condenser fan, then hook a jumper wire to the 12 v (+) wire of the fan motor. Then try to find where that wire's current leads. Could there be a thermistor or thermostatic switch controlling the fan?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

For my 1995 chassis the fan relay was controlled in two ways - by either a temp sensor in the coolant stream on the engine or by a high pressure switch in the air conditioning system. It did not come ob automatically when the AC was turned on.
Later the fan was activated by a signal from the engine computer. I don't know when the transition was made.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Casey....according to my P series chassis service manual the Aux Fan relay is under the dash ontop of steering column supt.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Casey....according to my P series chassis service manual the Aux Fan relay is under the dash ontop of steering column supt.
This is the P30 chassis (1997). There happens to be three relays there with all purple wiring. I'm really not too sure what that means, but I think there's a pretense that they are for some chassis components.

Tags
fan, wiring