Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Purchased a SurgeGuard 50amp surge protector, and wonder if I could use it by leaving the coach 50amp cable coiled up in the compartment and attaching the surge guard and then a 25' 50amp extension cable to the power box. That way the SurgeGuard will be out-of-site in the compartment.

My concerns are electrical heat build-up in coiled cable, and length of cable in use.

After reading other surge protection comments on the forum, it looks like hard-wired is way to go.

2003 Suncruiser 35U
whyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Purchased a SurgeGuard 50amp surge protector, and wonder if I could use it by leaving the coach 50amp cable coiled up in the compartment and attaching the surge guard and then a 25' 50amp extension cable to the power box. That way the SurgeGuard will be out-of-site in the compartment.

My concerns are electrical heat build-up in coiled cable, and length of cable in use.

After reading other surge protection comments on the forum, it looks like hard-wired is way to go.

2003 Suncruiser 35U
whyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

The length is OK, as I have been using a 30' extension cord for some time, and it works fine.

On other occasions I have had most of the fixed cord in the compartment when the pedestal was close and not had a problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There really isn't an issue with the coiled cord - the often proclaimed problem about heat being generated with a coiled electrical cord is completely unimaginable to me. You can make an inductor by coiling up a bunch of wire, but there are so few turns with 50'or 100' of wire in a large loop, the inductance is trivial.

Do yourself a huge favor - hard-wire the surge guard. You will thank yourself over and over again.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

whyoder, I assume, by your comment, that your's is the model with plugs already mounted. If so, you can always try it out and if it doesn't work the way you want, you can change it.

If it doesn't already have plugs and is the model for mounting, then I would suggest that you reconsider your plan because the connections are open and will eventually work loose from movement while hooking up and unhooking. Besides, you will need to destroy the mounting plugs that are factory installed on your cables.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi Whyoder,
I'm thinking that you are worried that someone will walk off with your "outside" Surgegaurd. You can always lock it to the post. I suppose if someone wants it they'll figure out how to get it anyway. However, it is waaaaaaayyyyyy easier to just have the hardwired one installed, then there won't be any worries. We have the hardwired one and are very happy with it. Heck, if you were going to get an extention cord, do it anyway and have that much more usable footage. But really, you'll save money by just getting the hardwired one and not having to buy the extention cord just to keep the Surgeguard in the compartment. Those cords aren't exactly cheap either.

Happy trails,

AKBrick
Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Coiled 50amp electric cable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you are going to keep your coach then hard wire it. If not, then your way will work just fine.

On a 99 Adventurer, I cut the cord, added a male and female plug with the Surge Guard in line.
When I traded the coach, kept the Surge Guard.

Whatever works best for you...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have 2 locks. One the locks the cable to the Surgeguard (from Camping World) and another to lock the campground box. Some campgrond boxes are tight but I have been able to make it work. If a thief wants it they will figure out a way to steal it but the locks will slow them down.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I agree, Hardwire it if your going to keep the coach any length of time.

Yes, camping world does offer locks to lock them to your cord. This type of plug lock is really the only way to lock your surgegaurd to your equipment.

I see no need to lock the electrical box cover itself. Not only is the a potential danger if you need to unplug in a hurry, but most campgrounds (at least the two I have workcamped in) feel this practice is stepping out of bounds, and in both situations I have been in we have asked the lock to be removed immediately, and if it wasn't, or the owner wasn't around, it was promptly cut off. We felt that it was a safety issue if we needed access to the box for a fire or electrical problem.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

A point of consideration is the actual SurgeGard box. I have the hardwired model and the installation recommendation was that it be mounted vertically and not horizontally. I believe it has something to do with the operation. For the plug in model, I suspect that SurgeGard is expecting it to be vertical while hanging from or tied to the CG post.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Mine was installed horizontally. I was told by Camping World that it could be installed horizontally or vertically. I've had no problem with it and it has done it's job when called for. Works for me.

AKBrick
Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
I helped | retired moderator

Progressive Industries units have no mounting restrictions.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

John I know you like the hardwire version....but I saw that one that melted....I sure would not want that to happen INSIDE my bus....I'd rather take the chance with it outside........Jim k