Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coach Battery will not charge

Have a 2007 Sightseer. Battery on 1 red light at level meter. Plugged into 110V shore power. When I start the engine, battery condition on the meter stays the same. There appears to be no charging off the alternator and the convertor. Is there a solenoid somewhere that opens this circuit so it will charge the batteries?? Should have all 4 lights on meter lit during charging. Thanks,
Race Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Ratz View Post
Have a 2007 Sightseer. Battery on 1 red light at level meter. Plugged into 110V shore power. When I start the engine, battery condition on the meter stays the same. There appears to be no charging off the alternator and the convertor. I assume you mean "no charging off the charger".........the converter simply converts AC to DC........it doesn't charge any battery.
Is there a solenoid somewhere that opens this circuit so it will charge the batteries?? Yes, there is. It's the battery isolator solenoid that must be energized to tie the two battery banks together. Should have all 4 lights on meter lit during charging. Thanks,
You may also have a BIRD (Bi-directional Isolator Relay Delay) system. If you do the BIRD controls the isolator solenoid when the engine is off.

If your battery charger is not charging your battery bank(s) while connected to AC (shore) power you should check to assure that the battery charger is getting power to it from the main panel.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

On your coach Winnebago uses a continuous duty solenoid that is activated in two ways.
1) By pressing the momentary Aux switch on the dash.
2) By the Run terminal on the ignition switch.

When activated it connects both the engine battery and the coach batteries.

The Aux switch is used to start your engine with help from the coach batteries if the engine battery is down.

The solenoid is located in different places depending on the model. It is usually close to the batteries.
My batteries are under the steps and the Aux and house battery Disconnect solenoids are in a black box in the compartment above the propane tank.
That compartment is right next to the steps.
In other models it is located under the steps with the batteries.
There may be other locations as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would first check all the battery connections to the House Batteries. The converter should charge the House Batteries no matter what the condition of the battery isolation solenoid. Start by measuring the 12 VDC at the converter and follow it all the way to the battery terminals. Do the lights and other 12 VDC devices work normally with shore power disconnected?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you didn't accidentally turn off your coach battery disconnect switch...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Here is where I'm at. The relay works off the coach switch disconnecting power to MH. The solenoid appears to be intermitent with no power at the hot lug sometimes to turn it on to allow alternator to charge the coach batteries when MH is running. Now for the converter. When plugged into AC, the house lights do not get as bright as they should. The convertor is not charging the house batteries as the voltage remains the same 12.40. I get 14.00 volts off the alternator. Putting 2 new batteries tomorrow. Going to get a replacement Progressive Dynamics to swap into the Parallex 7345. Swapped one into my old Lance last year. Like the LEDS telling the charging story. Again Thanks,
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Another Question

The yellow wire that triggers the solenoid to charge coach batteries when the MH is running is dead. It energizes when I activate the boost switch on the dash. Where is the relay that feeds power to that wire when the MH starts? Is it true there is a minute delay when this works? Wiring diagram? Thanks again. Bill
Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wiring Diagram

Anyone have one for a 07 Winnebago Sightseer Ford chassis? Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

It is activated by the RUN terminal on the ignition switch when the engine is running.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

This may or may not help since I have a DP, but I had this happen to me while driving. I noticed that my chassis batteries were not being charged. I know about the matchstick in the aux switch, but that didn't help either. The "engage" wire at the solonoid was dead at all times.

Finally found a plug with several wires that was disconnected under the dash. I was unable to push the plug together far enough to engage the lock (I guess that the guys on the line at Winnebago couldn't either). However, I was able to secure it with a cable tie and it has been working for about 5 years. Apparently the ignition and aux wires are in the same plug on my coach.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Had a similiar event with class c and next to battery box was a relay and panel with some fuses and one marked "bird" a mini 5amp was blown. It fixed it. On my unit the dc converter is controlled by this. When engine was running or generator then everything was ok. thanks jim w.
Shotgunjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Changer convertor charger. Charging now. Still not charging when MH runs. Half way there.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

found 10 amp fuse dead under dash #36 , replaced it and all works fine, MH charging when coach runs. Same fuse the rear heater didn't work either. Thanks all.