Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Guessing without looking at the door switch wiring but this is what I would guess is the operation /use of the LG,LH, and LJ wires at the battery disconnect relay.

All three wires Id as going to the door battery disconnect switch and all circuits require both battery and ground to work and only LJ is shown as battery, I would guess that all three go to the switch where LJ meets battery and LG and LH meet ground. Since it is a momentary switch, when we push the switch one way the battery on LJ goes through one portion of coil to meet LG and when the switch is operated the other way, that power goes to LH for a different portion of coil winding.

I've had no reason to tear one down so I have no idea if it is a single core with two windings or two different cores with separate winding using one shared return path.

Still just the basic idea of having a full circuit from positive to negative of the battery but exactly how it gets from point a to b can be lots of different routes. To know which contact meets which exactly we would need to go to the Carling, etc. drawing of the internals of the switch. One coil pulls and the other pushes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnect.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	176986  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:52 AM   #42

Morich: I incorporated your drawing in my 12V Power Grid Diagram. Did I label the BDS solenoid wires correct? (LG, LH, and LJ.) ...Feel free to edit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 2004 Itasca 40AD Solenoid Schematic (Keep).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	176994  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

If being super picky and depending on how we each think of current flow, I might turn the flow to be IN from the 12V and out to ground but the operation as I "imagine" the coils is going to be the same.
Point is that I don't know how the coils lay in the relay and they may be one coil with a center tap or two coils, but that is more easily drawn as two and a center tap! I think there is a magnetic latching portion so that when we press the switch and the relay changes, we can let the switch off so that we are not constantly using power and the relay still stays "latching" . That is the main difference to know about the relay is that it is of the special latching type. We use power to move it but then the magnet keeps it at that position until we use power to move it again.

The switch at the door has to be an interesting sort that uses the contacts to make power move from what I theorize as a center connection to one end or the other, Not just a snap switch to connect the same each time.

One of those fun things to look at if we had a specific item number of the switch but not really worth the effort to chase that idea---until it breaks!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #44

In my RV, the Battery Disconnect Solenoid (BDS) is an Intellitec Battery Disconnect Relay Part #01-00055-000. It's a latching solenoid and that's all I know.

...but I did google the part number and found these diagrams that may answer your questions.

For more details you might download that attached .pdf ...which also includes a description of those fuses mounted on top of the BDS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Intellitec BDS Coil-Opening Diagram.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	177012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intellitec BDS Coil-Closing Diagram.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	177013  

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intellitec Battery #01-00055-000 Coil Data Sheet.pdf (206.1 KB, 27 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Finally got all the parts I needed, new Solenoid (I went with the Cole-Hersee), I also wired in an Amp-L-Start to keep my Starting Battery maintained, and various misc items, like boot covers, heat shrink, etc. Just finished the last of the work today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PwrCtrWall2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	177335  
QuiGonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging