Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coach- Battery Actuator/disconnect relay???

My Coach (08 Voyage 32H) side Battery Disconnect actuator switch does not function to connect or disconnect. I can't tell if its the switch or the battery disconnect relay? I have to use the battery boost switch to start the MH. the indicator light goes on in the switch when the MH engine is running, but does not function when toggled. The fuses on the Relay are not blown. I hear the clicking when i use the actuator switch for the Chassis but not the Coach ???? Seems like its the Disconnect Relay.
Help please....
jwd53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Do you have two battery disconnect switches - house and engine batteries both?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm going through precisely the same thing, but with my Chassis Disconnect not my Coach Disconnect. My rig has a RV2050 Battery Control Centre from RV Custom Products in California.
After speaking with John Mock, the fella who builds the BCC, he indicated that the Chassis Solenoid, PN# RVC-1002, is toast. I have ordered a new one, $51.92, should be here in a couple of weeks.

If you have the same BCC or one distributed by RC Custom products here are their contact numbers; Mary Moore at RV Cust Prod 1 562 921 8353
John Mock 1 714 879 8386.

As a Note Mary cannot help you with technical issues, just parts.

Hope this helps,
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

As far as I know Winnebago has only used the BBC or maybe BIRD once - I believe on the Ultimate Advantage back in 2003 or so.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I don't anything about these electronics. They (both) chassis and coach Battery Disconnect Relay's look the same and have the same winnwbago part number.
Yes I have two seperate actuator switches.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd53 View Post
I don't anything about these electronics. They (both) chassis and coach Battery Disconnect Relay's look the same and have the same winnwbago part number.
Yes I have two seperate actuator switches.
Please take this post with a pound of salt. I can only describe my piece of equipment.
In my unit those switches are remote from the Battery Control Centre. If you can hear the solenoids engaging, kind of like a dull thunk, find where that noise is coming from and you've found your BCC. This is where the wizardry of the battery disconnects is located. Find that box and google the part number or if the company who made it is listed on the box give them a call. Both the chassis and coach disconnects should/may be located in that box. The BCC on my unit is gray and ~10"x10"x5". Yours may or may not look the same.
Wish I could be of more help. It's not much but it maybe a start.
Stewart
Old 04-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I tired to delete my last post but couldn't. Upon re-reading your post to which I was replying it would seem you already have located the solenoids. Have someone actuate the switches while you listen for which one works. replace the one that doesn't. Just make sure that you have removed ALL the wires from ALL the batteries before you start removing bits and pieces. As well disconnect your coach from shore power.
If your not comfortable working around electricity I would strongly encourage you to take it into a shop. There is a lot of amperage waiting to bite you if you don't get it right.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks IMD Sailor....I will disconnect the batteries/shore power before starting any mechanical disassembly. I just have to practice my gymnastic skills to get to the part.
I ordered the part(battery disconnect relay) and will arrive next week.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

On both my 1999 Brave and 2003 Adventurer I have two types of relays. A House Battery disconnect relay that is a latching type relay activated by a switch in the steps and a battery isolation relay activated by the ignition switch and the Battery Boost switch on the dash. If you have to use the Battery Boost switch to start the motor home, it sounds like you have a bad chassis battery or chassis battery ground problem.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks John H. I''l check that out also.

Tags
battery