Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Halfway home on charging battery

I actually got through to Winnebago on Friday, and tech support said the solenoid was definitely not working correctly - the alternator should charge both batteries. So thanks for all the help in this forum.

However, he threw his arms in the air regarding charging the house off of shore power.

I think I posted the condition previously, but the shore power doesn't charge the house battery (though I checked, and all other AC power users worked fine). Strangly enough, the generator DOES charge the house battery. This is what baffled the Winney tech - both systems send 120 AC to the converter, and the converter send charging to the house battery.

How the heck can the generator accomplish the charging, but shore power can't?
Jefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

The generator and shore power run the converter which charges the house batteries. If the house lights work when on shore power or the generator even when the batteries are dead then you need to check the fuse or circuit breaker between the Inverter and the house batteries or in some instances both. It should be around a 40 to 60 amp fuse and/or breaker.

If the house lights do not work on the converter once the house batteries get too low then check the circuit breaker providing power to the converter and if its getting power then verify that the fuses built into the converter are not blown too.

There is always the possibility that some critter chewed a wire and shorted out the wires going from the converter to the battery charging circuit.

There is also the possibility that the previous owner being creative had put in some home grown solar system/inverter and removed it before selling the coach. He may have even moved the lug in the bypass switch and put a different relay in to support his modifications and not fully tested out the systems after removing his customization's.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefscott View Post
I actually got through to Winnebago on Friday, and tech support said the solenoid was definitely not working correctly - the alternator should charge both batteries. So thanks for all the help in this forum.

However, he threw his arms in the air regarding charging the house off of shore power.

I think I posted the condition previously, but the shore power doesn't charge the house battery (though I checked, and all other AC power users worked fine). Strangly enough, the generator DOES charge the house battery. This is what baffled the Winney tech - both systems send 120 AC to the converter, and the converter send charging to the house battery.

How the heck can the generator accomplish the charging, but shore power can't?
I suggest you take a volt meter and measure the voltage at the house batteries with the shore power cord unplugged and the generator running , then turn off the generator and plug into shore power. Both times the voltage should be about 13.4V or higher. If when on shore power the voltage is less than what it was on generator, you need to go back to whatever in the ERA charges your house batteries and verify the 120V AC power to the charger. Using your meter you should be able to trace back to whatever is causing the problem.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefscott View Post
Though electronics are my Bain (AC, not so much D.C.), I have a positive experience outfitting a sailboat with both solar and wind power (as well as a water maker) and lived "on the hook" for a couple of years successfully with complete capabilities.

Meanwhile, I have just purchased a 2009 Era, and am a bit perplexed. I admit, I haven't adequately checked out the systems or taken a shakeout cruise, but my one measly house battery is only charging off the generator. Though I only current have a 30 amp converted down to 15 amp, is the shore power just going to the starting (chassis) battery 1st, then will take on the house? Same with the alternator when engine is running? Or is the 30-15A the limiting factor.

I will be adding solar panels in the future, and would be most interested in others who have been successful with such, but feel one house battery is totally inadequate since I have no desire in ever being in an RV park (no offense).
Anyone have a good solution adding a 2nd house battery in the same location on the Era.

I want to hear from you!
Jefscott: I have gone back to the beginning of your post. I did my best to understand your electrical system by reading the brochure, operators manual and the wiring diagrams. Now I understand some things missed by my understanding of class A Winnebago rigs.

Your converter, AC load center and DC load center are all in one. There is no obvious breakout for your converter input and output per say.

After reviewing all the schematics I found helpful here I have come to my earlier conclusion. Replace the solenoid. Once that is done see if your charging problem is corrected.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #25
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Would you happen to know if the battery boost switch in the newer Winnebagos is the same type plug-in switch? I have a 2015 Itasca Spirit with dash-mounted battery boost switch that I can't figure out how to remove it. The mounting plate has two screws but have no affect on removal.

I am looking into putting Li ion batteries in the coach which raises issues with charging off the alternator while underway. I want to disable the underway charging function but keep the emergency manually-operated battery boost function. BYW, I will be changing out the coach power supply / charger with a new Li ion charger from WFCO.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #26
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Chris, I know that I am late to the party but you seem to be quite knowledgeable with Winnebago electrical systems. I'm still learning and getting much better. Do you know if the Battery Boost switch that is mounted on my dash (2015 Itasca Spirit, class C Ford E450) is modular as it seems some of the others are? I can't figure out how to remove it from the dash mounting panel which has two screws that don't aid in the removal. I don't want to use too much force trying to pry it off its connector. The Winnebago wiring diagrams for my RV are not very explicit or useful for this issue.

I want to be able to disable the underway energizing of the boost solenoid so I can use Li ion batteries in the coach. I will be ordering a Li ion power supply / charger from WFCO and have already ordered an Amp-L-Start charger from LSL Products to keep the chassis battery charged during long stays on shore power.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Chris, I know that I am late to the party but you seem to be quite knowledgeable with Winnebago electrical systems. I'm still learning and getting much better. Do you know if the Battery Boost switch that is mounted on my dash (2015 Itasca Spirit, class C Ford E450) is modular as it seems some of the others are? I can't figure out how to remove it from the dash mounting panel which has two screws that don't aid in the removal. I don't want to use too much force trying to pry it off its connector. The Winnebago wiring diagrams for my RV are not very explicit or useful for this issue....
I'm guessing you have the Spirit 27Q. There are two different sets of wiring diagrams, depending on the Serial Number of your rig:
IF327Q (Serial Number begins with 70326T1)

IF327Q (Serial Number begins with 70326T2)
Looking at the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for the latter, if you zoom way in (2400%) you can see that the boost switch is mounted in a small plate that seems to be secured to the dash with a screw at either end. The switch itself is held into the plate with plastic spring clips that are part of the switch housing--if those are squeezed together (top & bottom of switch) you should be able to gently work the switch out of the plate.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #28
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Thanks Chris. The screws only hold the outer plastic plate to a moveable metal plate behind it, neither will come out as the switch seems to be holding them together. I'll try the top-bottom retainer clip process and see I it works to free the switch. Can you tell if it is hard wired or has a modular socket?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

I would certainly not expect hard-wired (soldered) connections. Probably individual leads connected via push on connectors to spade pins on the back of the switch.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #30
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I was at the point of breaking something when I quit. The switch would not release. I'm going to try to track down the wire that is connecting the running 12 VDC to the switch and leave the battery 12 VDC intact.

I've looked at all of the wiring diagrams that Winnebago supplies for my RV but haven't seen anything that identifies individual wires, connections or locations, with the exception of the battery wiring which is a bit difficult to follow.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Unfortunately, Winnebago stopped publishing 12V wiring diagrams a number of years ago, leaving you with only the installation diagram (they used to provide both).

Old 09-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

They do, however, label all of their 12V wiring every few inches, so you can identify whether or not you have the same wire in two different places. The Wiring Identification Guide will allow you to look up the labels and see what the wire is used for.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

I've been looking for a wire chart like this. Thank you, Chris!!!

Tags
batteries, charging