Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

CO2 Detectors

Have any of you found that these devices just simply go bad every 2 years?

I'm on my 3rd detector.

My 12v readings are excellent and the CO2 detector does not report low voltage. One of the defective units began chirping at 4 o'clock in the morning. The other was just simply in an alarm condition after being reset a dozen number of times.

What's your experience with your CO detector?
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

DrIVer,
funny you should ask, but I experienced the same problem on my unit last year. I tried everything with no luck, finally called the KNOWLEDGABLE EXPERT'S, and they said it was bad, time to replace. I disconnected the wire's, since it was off season, and when spring came, I hooked it back up and it's been fine ever since. Sometimes I just don't think the RV experts know all there is to know about these things. Good luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Have any of you found that these devices just simply go bad every 2 years?

I'm on my 3rd detector.

My 12v readings are excellent and the CO2 detector does not report low voltage. One of the defective units began chirping at 4 o'clock in the morning. The other was just simply in an alarm condition after being reset a dozen number of times.

What's your experience with your CO detector?
Mike, MY CO detector was chirping at 3 am this morning .. Must have been calling yours. Mine can be "silenced" by making sure my aux batt switch ( in the stairwell) is turned off. Apparantly my house batteries are offgassing, and the detector is getting a sniff. I'm within a week of heading home from a summer on the road, so its a situation I'll deal with then, but in the meantime, the switch stays off when I'm "plugged in" Third occurance this summer, same cure.....rgr............We are talkin CO here, right?
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm also on my third. The second was replaced at about 2.5 years by the manufacturer (cust satisfaction), and I had to pay for the third about two yrs ago. I've had no recurrence (fingers crossed) since I changed my converter to Progressive Dynamics, which stops outgassing of the (two 6V) batts. So I don't know if outgassing is the cause, or just defective detectors.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

So far I've had good luck with the two we have in our current motor home. I am particularly sensitive to CO (I get headaches after being exposed to 15ppm for an hour) so I have the battery operated version that displays the value:

Kidde Battery Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display Kn Copp B - Find lowest price on Kidde Battery Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display Kn Copp B at Shopping.com

I've had three of these over the past 10 years and none have failed, two have been installed in motor homes even though it is not rated for motor home use. A close cousin, the Atwood is (Mac the Fire Guy sells it and RV Upgrades, a sponsor of this site, probably can get it but it's not in his store online, cost is about $50):

Atwood - Carbon Monoxide Gas Alarms

The display has helped me avoid getting the headaches (I watch it like a hawk when running the genny, etc.). One time I was working at a building under construction in Tijuana, Mexico, they were using gasoline powered welders and had all the doors closed because it was cold. I had carried one of these down to monitor as I had had problems with headaches before, and sure enough the detector was reading 25PPM and more. I showed it to the supervisor and convinced him to open the doors and ventilate the space.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrstndgby View Post
..........We are talkin CO here, right?
rgrstndby, Yes sir, Carbon Monoxide. My detector is held in the wall by 2 screws, so, I remove those and disconnect the detector at the modular plug to silence the alarm "although" the detector had a silence button.

Turning off the auxiliary in the stairwell kills all my 12 volt power so I don't like to do that as a rule.

The replacement detector I have now is made by "Safe-T-Alert." The previous detector company went out of business. I know one thing I would not want to be living in this box without my "Smoke" & CO detectors.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
rgrstndby, Yes sir, Carbon Monoxide. My detector is held in the wall by 2 screws, so, I remove those and disconnect the detector at the modular plug to silence the alarm "although" the detector had a silence button.

Turning off the auxiliary in the stairwell kills all my 12 volt power so I don't like to do that as a rule.

The replacement detector I have now is made by "Safe-T-Alert." The previous detector company went out of business. I know one thing I would not want to be living in this box without my "Smoke" & CO detectors.

How much 12v are you using at 4 am?.. Im talking about a temporary " fix" that doesnt leave you unprotected, but will let you sleep, and still wake up .Unpluging may not provide that last feature.......rgr..
Old 09-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I had to replace my CO Detector last year. It was going off for no apparent reason. After replacing it has been fine.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I had to replace my CO Detector last year. It was going off for no apparent reason. After replacing it has been fine.

Don

I replaced my OE about 2-3 years ago, if I recall, they have a finite life...rgr...
Old 09-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

CO Detectors have not been made for several years so you may be buying an old detector that has set on a shelf for years. The sensor has a lifespan of five years. The new standards for several years have required them to be named CO Alarms and you said you have the Detector and not Alarm.

Also, make sure you buy a CO Alarm that is manufactured for RVs. It is a different spec than house CO Alarms. A very hot temperature or freezing cold will destroy regular household type alarms.

I have an Atwood CO Alarm that is manufactured by Kidde and it displays the actual CO level and the highest recorded CO level.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
Also, make sure you buy a CO Alarm that is manufactured for RVs. It is a different spec than house CO Alarms. A very hot temperature or freezing cold will destroy regular household type alarms..
My CO detector was furnished by Winnebago parts.

I say detector because unless it obtains a level that it can get upset with it's not going to go in alarm.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

1st coach still fine at 5 years, this coach goes off when demented Demensions inverter outgasses batteries.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Our OEM CO detector had a decal on the back side of it that said to replace it before August 2009. That made it about five and one-half years since our coach was delovered in April 2004.

Our LP detector started chirping in the night last spring, so I replaced them both.

I have read somewhere that both the CO detector and the LP detector should be replaced every five years.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote