Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

checking battery water level

The battery tray on my 06 Journey does not pull out far enough for me to visually check the water level in the last battery. Any suggestions on how to check it?

John
Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Try using a flashlight and a mirror. Checking the electrolyte level and adding electrolyte to the battery may be a completely different problem. If you have to add water(distilled) to your battery connect a 1/4 inch line, available from Home Depot or Lowes, to a small funnel and add a small amount at a time.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I find a turkey baster works great, more control when adding water.and use a Popsicle stick as dip stick.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If yours is like mine, it won't pull out all the way because of a short ground cable. I replaced the nut with a wingnut, and each time I check the water I remove the cable, which allows me to pull the tray all the way out. It does reset the bedroom radio presets and turns on the exterior radio, but it's worth it.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
If yours is like mine, it won't pull out all the way because of a short ground cable. I replaced the nut with a wingnut, and each time I check the water I remove the cable, which allows me to pull the tray all the way out. It does reset the bedroom radio presets and turns on the exterior radio, but it's worth it.

Same with my Journey. I detach the short cable and the tray comes out farther and battery checking in easy.

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV'nOldTimer View Post
Same with my Journey. I detach the short cable and the tray comes out farther and battery checking in easy.

JT
Great idea guys. I've been using a flashlight and mirror to reach that back battery for over 6 years now on my 2004 Meridian. I'll try your idea next time. Also, never thought about using a cycle stick to check the level.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I picked up an expandable "dental mirror" and a turkey baster and found it to work best for me.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The easiest way is to buy on of the autofill gadgets that CW sells. Costs about $40 for the setup to do 3 batteries. Then it takes about 5 minutes to service all the batteries. No muss; no fuss and you can do it in your best clothes.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcous View Post
The battery tray on my 06 Journey does not pull out far enough for me to visually check the water level in the last battery. Any suggestions on how to check it?

John
I had the same problem checking the battery water until I installed one of these. No more hassel.

JANWP.com-- Battery Water Systems, Dock Accessories, Dock Ladders, Electrical Dock Pedestals, Solar: Recreational Vehicles- 6V/12V
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem on our coach and came up with the this solution:
Cut paper strips about 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long. A dark colored paper works best. Fold them in half. As I add distilled water and need to check the level take one strip of paper and lower it into the cell. The fold will let you know when the water level is 1 inch from the top when you pull it out and it is wet. Also, folding the paper gives me peace of mind from the fear of dropping a piece of paper into the battery. No mirrors, no flash light, but I do use the baster method of putting the water in the battery.

Dave
Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

denochs.....What a great idea! Beats purchasing 2 of those auto-refill systems, at $65.00 for two batteries! The last time I checked CW's price for one of those systems, it was about $56 for two 6 volt batteries. I have 4 batteries, so my total cost would be from $112 to $130, wherever I bought them. No more flashlights and over-filling, for me! You guys have battery trays? I have to lean into the storage bay, to do mine. Can't get my head in, far enough to see the water levels. Also, it's too dark in there!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The battery tray on our coach won't pull out far enough to look into the 4th battery even if I disconnect the short cable. Leaving the cable connected, I can't look into the cells of the two in front of it. And with 4 batteries, the cost would be over $100 for us too. Since I check the batteries every 4 months I see no need for those auto refillers. DW says I'm just cheap. I prefer putting the money we save in the fuel tank. I feel much better burning it up cruising down the highway rather that sitting it on top of my batteries.

Dave
Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I use popcicle sticks as well
Old 11-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Call me old fashioned, but after replacing too many batteries in the last four years I have learned to first disconnect the batteries from the coach with the switch, then remove all the cabling, pull the batteries out of the slide tray and fill them on the ground where I can see them. I also clean all the cable ends and battery posts with cleaner and a wire brush, then re-install and finally spray a sealant on the finished connections. I do this every four weeks, takes about 30 minutes, and over the last 18 months have had no problems whatsoever. We are full timers, so certainly we are putting more strain on the batteries than someone who uses their coach only intermittently, but it seems to me anything less is just asking for trouble, which you don't want on your weekend jaunts. Kinda like checking your tires before every trip - peace of mind.

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoVectra View Post
Call me old fashioned, but after replacing too many batteries in the last four years I have learned to first disconnect the batteries from the coach with the switch, then remove all the cabling, pull the batteries out of the slide tray and fill them on the ground where I can see them. I also clean all the cable ends and battery posts with cleaner and a wire brush, then re-install and finally spray a sealant on the finished connections. I do this every four weeks, takes about 30 minutes, and over the last 18 months have had no problems whatsoever. We are full timers, so certainly we are putting more strain on the batteries than someone who uses their coach only intermittently, but it seems to me anything less is just asking for trouble, which you don't want on your weekend jaunts. Kinda like checking your tires before every trip - peace of mind.
Now THAT is how we should check our batteries! I haven't yet worked up the ambition to do that more than annually but I need to learn how to do 5 batteries in less than half a day!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Get AGM's

I replaced mine with AGM's and now I don't have any water woes. Joe
Old 11-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Having 4ea. 6V GC's there is even less room to fiddle with mirrors and especially trying to fill them. I installed a battery watering system for all 4 batteries, and it works great. BUT.. based on comments on the forums about them occasionally clogging up, I make it a habit to still pull the tray at least once a year to verify levels, clean the valves and reinstall. FWIW, with MY 4 GC's, that is in excess of 250lb cantilevered on the shelf when pulled out. I have a adjustable roller saw horse that I set under the tray when pulled to keep the stress off the rollers (and my foot).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have been checking mine with a flashlight and an expandable dental mirror. When the lighting precludes this is use a ph test strip. I like the popsicle stick idea too! To fill I use mainly the turkey baster but sometimes have to dip and fill multiple times. I found a IV set up works great. Add distilled water to the bag, connect the tubing and open and close by using the little wheel.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the kind comment Rick. What I didn't mention is that it took replacing about (if I remember correctly) replacing 5 failed batteries on three different occasions in the first two years to wake up to the fact that I needed to check my coach batteries regularly. I learn slow.

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote