Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 12:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Chassis battery not charging on shore power

I've been on shore power for about 6 weeks, and the chassis batteries are dead. I know some RVs will charge the chassis batteries on shore power, and some won't. I can't find anywhere in the manual where it indicates whether they should charge or not. Since the step and slide-outs are powered by the chassis battery, I would assume that it should charge from shore power... but that might be a bad assumption.

It is a (new to me) 2006 Itasca 34A...

Does anyone know if the chassis battery should charge when on shore power?
If they should, where should I look for the problem?

Thanks for any help!
classanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My Horizon has a solar array to charge the chassis battery. Plugin in only charges the house batteries.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I believe the answer is "no". You can put in a Trik-L Start that will keep your chassis battery charged off of the coach battery.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by classanewbie View Post
I've been on shore power for about 6 weeks, and the chassis batteries are dead. I know some RVs will charge the chassis batteries on shore power, and some won't. I can't find anywhere in the manual where it indicates whether they should charge or not. Since the step and slide-outs are powered by the chassis battery, I would assume that it should charge from shore power... but that might be a bad assumption.
Thanks for any help!
Why not contact Winnebago and ask?
Contact Winnebago Industries | Call, Mail, or Visit Winnebago
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

classanewbie, as per the drawings for you coach your chassis battery will not charge when connected to shore power. As mentioned above your best bet is to add a Trik-L Start they work great, I have added them to my last two coaches.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
classanewbie, as per the drawings for you coach your chassis battery will not charge when connected to shore power. As mentioned above your best bet is to add a Trik-L Start they work great, I have added them to my last two coaches.
I, too, believe this is true. WBGO started including the Trik-L-Start device on their DP coaches several years ago, but alas, us gassers have to buy our own. I did, and it works as advertised.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I would recommend the Amp-L-Start over the Trik-L-Start.

They are made by the same company, but the Trik-L-Start only has a maximum of 5 amp output while the Amp-L-Start has 15 amp.

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Thanks for any help!
On mine the chassis batteries do not charge from shore power. Also, I suggest you might also be concerned about the condition of your chassis batteries. I'd think they should hold a healthy charge much longer than six weeks.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Thanks for any help!
classanewbie,
You are correct in the fact that many Winnes and Itascas did not provide means for charging the chassis batteries while plugged into shore power. It's been posted on here and, other RV forums probably around a few thousand times. You've been given options for a remedy for this issue. Before I found out about the Trik-L-Start, I installed a three stage, NAPA battery charger and hard wired it in to permanently handle the chassis battery charging.

This is something that's simply a preference thing. I did it my way 'cause that charger's sold duty is the chassis batteries. If anything goes wrong the charging system for your house batteries, be it a Inverter/Charger or, Converter/Charger, and it's tied into the chassis batteries via something like a Trik-L-Start, then your chassis batteries go down with your house batteries.

But, with a separate charging system for each set, you alleviate that potential issue. Again, it's a preference thing, each system works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
On mine the chassis batteries do not charge from shore power. Also, I suggest you might also be concerned about the condition of your chassis batteries. I'd think they should hold a healthy charge much longer than six weeks.

Bob,
While I would normally agree with you on this, I think different coaches provide with different parasitic drains over time. I've never had the opportunity for our coach to sit for 6 weeks without being plugged in so, I really cannot answer this with certain accuracy. I don't know for sure if ours would start, if left un plugged for 6 weeks. I do know for a fact that, if ours is not plugged in for around two weeks, the house batteries are pretty much dead.

I then plug it in and bring them back up. I know it's not good to do that so, it don't happen very often.

Winne and Itasca started installing the Trik-L-Start right around late '05 or early '06. On the diesel pushers in that era, like Meridians and Journeys etc. that had no slide out for the generator, the Trik-L-Start is located just above the generator and, in a small compartment.

I'm not all that familiar with later model Journeys, Meridians etc. as in around '08 and up so, I'm not sure they still are installing the Trik-L-Start or, some variation of it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Scott,
From my experience the ghost drains are most often on house batteries. That said I certainly could be incorrect in my assumption the Chassis batteries should last longer than six weeks. Mine certainly do and they are old - they were in this coach when I bought it about 8 years ago.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Probably the main drain on chassis battery is the radio clock which isn't much. I don't believe the Ford chassis has any other drains on the battery but it might.
As far as the Trik-L-Start charger, I ordered mine through RVupgrades .com (I think that is the sigh)t for $29 +delivery of about $7. I had problems with the first one-the lights didn't work and they worked with LSL (?) on some trouble shooting then arranged for a new one to be shipped-no charge. Great service from both companies. It works great. I went with the 5 amp as I didn't think a single chassis battery needed more than that and we rely on a solar panel when dry camping and I didn't want to "steal" too much charging capacity from the coach batteries. The unit I believe has internal protection that keeps the house batteries from stealing power from the chassis battery . I suppose nothing is full proof but this would seem to give the protection you need plus it allows the batteries to charge some with solar panels. With a hard wired system, which I believe is 110-120v you need a generator, shore power or steal 110 from the inverter, I would think.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've ordered a trik-l-start, which should take care of the issue.

While parked, the power step was used occasionally, as well as the slide-outs... I assume that is what drained the chassis battery.

I am concerned about ruining the batteries by being plugged-in for long periods of time... I'm not sure what to do other than disconnect the house batteries... But I'm not sure how that would work with a trik-l-start connected between the house and chassis batteries.
classanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've ordered a trik-l-start, which should take care of the issue.

While parked, the power step was used occasionally, as well as the slide-outs... I assume that is what drained the chassis battery.

I am concerned about ruining the batteries by being plugged-in for long periods of time... I'm not sure what to do other than disconnect the house batteries... But I'm not sure how that would work with a trik-l-start connected between the house and chassis batteries.
A lot depends on your charger. Some converter/inverters are 3 stage and as I understand it they only charge when needed. Put a bulk charge in when batteries are low then ramp down to a trickle charge or even off until battery voltage drops again. The Trik-L start I believe does the same same-only chargers as needed. If you don't have a three stage charger, which some Winnies do not, then you could over charge.
I am not sure but I believe just hitting the battery disconnect switch may not necessarily stop the battery charging.
Also I a believe that the Trik-L-Start can't charge the chassis battery if the coach batteries aren't being charged.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

There's one more option that's quite a bit more money ($155), but folks should consider what it can do. It's Precision Circuits Battery Isolation Manager. A microprocessor monitors the voltage of both battery systems, shore power, generator output, and dash Bat Boost switch. Then it decides which battery should be charged first then it will charge the other battery. It will prevent overcharging of the chassis battery and keeps the batteries isolated when there is no charge available. This is the device that Winnebago is using on the "all electric" motorhomes that have 6 expensive AGM batteries. I installed it to help protect my $1100 investment in AGM batteries.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-CI...e7bb7b&vxp=mtr
Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
There's one more option that's quite a bit more money ($155), but folks should consider what it can do. It's Precision Circuits Battery Isolation Manager. A microprocessor monitors the voltage of both battery systems, shore power, generator output, and dash Bat Boost switch. Then it decides which battery should be charged first then it will charge the other battery. It will prevent overcharging of the chassis battery and keeps the batteries isolated when there is no charge available. This is the device that Winnebago is using on the "all electric" motorhomes that have 6 expensive AGM batteries. I installed it to help protect my $1100 investment in AGM batteries.
Precision Circuits 225 Amp Battery Isolation Manager 00 10021 000 | eBay

Hey Bill,
How is ya? Hope all is well. Yep, I remember those being talked about and sold back at the GNR of last year. My buddy that was camped in front of us purchased one. He's not said much about it since he got it but, he's been gone a lot since then. I ought to talk with him about it and hear his thoughts on it so far. Good to see you're out there having fun. How's the Townies doing?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I believe the answer is "no". You can put in a Trik-L Start that will keep your chassis battery charged off of the coach battery.

That's what I've used for 8 years.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Bill,
How is ya? Hope all is well. Yep, I remember those being talked about and sold back at the GNR of last year. My buddy that was camped in front of us purchased one. He's not said much about it since he got it but, he's been gone a lot since then. I ought to talk with him about it and hear his thoughts on it so far. Good to see you're out there having fun. How's the Townies doing?
Scott
Ya, at the GNR I was at a seminar and the guy next to me had just bought one. I remember holding it and thinking, wow this thing is about 3 times bigger than the isolation relay in my coach. When I had all wet cells in this and prior coach, I used a Harbor Freight $5 trickle charger to keep the chassis charged when I was plugged in storage. That worked for 14 yrs for me. Now with the $$$ invested in AGM's, this is my insurance.

We're doing well now that the weather radio isn't alarming once or twice a day. Ohio and NY state have been beautiful. My 21 speed Townie is showing some signs of exposure as the shifting isn't as smooth as it was. I have covers now but we still get caught driving in the rain once in awhile. Hope to see you guys in Az or SoCal.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Classanewbie you are right about the steps, slide and I forgot in our case the jacks all run off the chassis battery
Any of these can run the chassis battery down-the steps did in my case.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, chassis, battery, shore power, charging