Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have my MH stored for the winter and covered. I also have it plugged in to shorepower. Last week I opened the door and the steps did not extend.I checked and the chassis battery is dead. Will it harm anything if I remove the chassis battery to charge it while the house batteries are still connected?

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have my MH stored for the winter and covered. I also have it plugged in to shorepower. Last week I opened the door and the steps did not extend.I checked and the chassis battery is dead. Will it harm anything if I remove the chassis battery to charge it while the house batteries are still connected?

Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

FireStarter;

The chassis battery does not charge when you are plugged in to power. Purchase a little trickle charger that diverts a little charge from your coach batteries to your chassis battery. I believe RV Upgrades has them.

It will not hurt to remove your chassis battery to charge it. You can also charge it in place if you have a charger. The steps are powered from your chassis battery.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You should be fine. This will be something that will happen every time you let your RV set for an extended amount of time unless you put some type of charger on it. A lot of these units have the factory installed solar charger but that only charges your house batteries. One of the recommended units you will read about over and over again on here is the Trik-L-Start from www.rvupgrades.com This is a really slick unit that utilizes power off of the house batteries to power it while it keeps your chassis batteries charged...hope this helps.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just checked out the web site and ordered the Trik-L-Start. Looks pretty simple to install. I like the idea that you do not have to disconnect it and can be permanently installed.
Thanks for the great idea, guys.
Happy camping... I can't wait for the weather to change. I am not a full timer yet, but.... soon.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I was able to mount the following next to the battery storage compartment & connect it to the chassis battery. It is a Schumacher battery tender (from Advanced Auto) & a "Battery Minder" volt meter (from Batteries Are Us). It is wired in the 120. I can turn it off of shorepower if desired. It keeps my chassis battery charged up (but not over charged).

DLBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DLBatz:
I was able to mount the following next to the battery storage compartment & connect it to the chassis battery. It is a Schumacher battery tender (from Advanced Auto) & a "Battery Minder" volt meter (from Batteries Are Us). It is wired in the 120. I can turn it off of shorepower if desired. It keeps my chassis battery charged up (but not over charged).

DLBatz is offline   Reply With Quote