Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Chassis alternator not charging house batts

2014 iQ View profile 24V-chassis alternator is not charging house batteries when engine is running.

What do I know?

System worked until M. Benz replaced the Takata Air bag.
Alternator does charge the chassis battery
When refrig is put on battery with chassis engine running, battery voltage drops quickly--tends to confirm no connection between chassis alternator and house batts.
There is no visible disconnect between battery disconnect switch which is above and to the right of the accelerator--no visual indicator of a problem.

Any ideas on solutions?

thanks
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Take it back to the MB dealer that changed out the Air Bag? Sounds like they disconnected something to work on the Air Bag and didn't reconnect it when they finished.

Do you have a master house battery disconnect switch? Could that be off?
Old 08-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Master disconnect is on when I try to charge so can't blame that. One of my first welcom to RVs lessons was that the house batteries had to be on to charge them. Would LOVE to blame MB but I called Winnebago today and they said it probably is a bad solenoid that is under the panel that is under the passenger seat. I will give troubleshooting that part a try but am not very good with "juice" (electrical prblems) Thanks very much for helping me.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Team

So the Air Bag repair timing was simply coincidental, I guess?
Old 08-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I guess so on the air bag replacement.

I just figured out how to search this resource and it appears that bad solenoid is most probably the answer to my problem based on other posts.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, I suggest you replace that Trombeta solenoid with a Cole-Hersey 24213 - 200 amp solenoid, cost is about $50. It won't get hot and diddle out on you. As you probably know the test is to start the engine then measure the voltage at the house batteries for alternator voltage.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, chassis