Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

As a suggestion I have successfully used a small solar charger that plugs into the dash power outlet. I place the solar panel on the top of the dash next to the windshield. The charge current seems to be enough keep the chassis battery charged.

Now the problem is I cannot remember where I purchased it.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Tom N

Technically you are correct. The jest of my reply is leave the step switch in OFF position during storage to prevent battery drain. Just turning chassis battery switch to OFF will not suffice. I also can only speak about the 2008 Voyage. I don't know how other models or years are set up.

codgerbill: Hope everything works out for you. As far as it not starting with new battery check to make sure the chassis battery switch is in ON position. You may of left it in the OFF position when removing the battery. I know I did (2) weeks ago when I went to start my coach to take to dealer for some chassis maintenance. Both battery switches were in OFF position as I was doing my weekly (24) hour charge routine. Started fine AFTER I turned switch on. That is something I will add to my typed checklist I us when I depart a site and when I arrive at a site.

I remember when I was in the Navy a very senior pilot would carry a laminated checklist with him to do a pre-flight inspection. I mean he had been flying this plane for so long he could pre-flight it blindfolded. Also there are old pilots and bold pilots but there are not any bold, old pilots.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by navyblue:
Tom N

Technically you are correct. The jest of my reply is leave the step switch in OFF position during storage to prevent battery drain. Just turning chassis battery switch to OFF will not suffice. I also can only speak about the 2008 Voyage. I don't know how other models or years are set up.

NAVYBLUE
How do you get in and out with the steps turned off??

I only turn the steps off when I'm parked and using the coach. I turn the steps off when they are extended.

I see no need to turn the steps off while in storage as they draw no current unless they are actually in operation.

codgerbill; If I was storing over the cold winter and did not have the coach plugged in I would remove the batteries, take them home and place them on a trickle charger.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Hate to disagree but my neighbor's Pace Arrow steps stuck open as he drove away. It happened two times to him.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Tom N: I am "ONLY" speaking about a 2008 Winnebago Voyage 32H. Parked and chassis not running. Step switch in ON position. Open door, steps come out, go in coach, close door, steps go in. Inside coach, open door, steps come out, go outside, close door, steps go in. BUT, if I got outside and don't close door, then turn step switch to OFF position and then close door, steps stay in the out position. This way when I am at campground or parked at home, if I am in the coach the steps will ALWAYS be in the out position. This way I don't have to worry about the small delay that occurs when you are in the coach and open the door, you want to go outside, it is dark and you step out before the step is FULLY out.

It is ON while I am driving of course so when we stop for lunch and get to campground it goes out automatically.

On the 2008 Winnebago Voyage 32H, IF you leave the step switch ON during the winter you WILL drain the battery. As Troy explained to me when the switch is ON, there is power supplied to servo motor that pulls steps in AND the switch in the door that tells steps to go in or out AND the computer that tells motor to pull steps in when you start the coach. I checked battery voltage with switch ON and OFF and could see the difference. All I know is since I followed his advice, NO more dead chassis battery.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Navyblue,
I know I have a battery disconnect switch Located near the step coming into the coach Coach Batteries?), but I do not know of a chassis battery disconnect switch. According to the winnebago wireing diagrams the battery does not have a disconnect with regards to the starter. However, one never knows for sure.

Tom,
I thought of removing the battery for the winter but last winter was not as bad as this one is. Last winter I was able to start the engine and drive it for a 30-60 minute time on the road while running the generator under load. This year the snow was so bad that I am not able to get the coach out for a drive. I think maby next winter I will remove at least the chassis battery.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

NavyBlue;

I've reviewed the Kwikee steps manual and it is impossible to drain the battery that operates the steps unless the control unit is defective.

I've quoted Kwikee step manual below.

"If the power wire to the step is disconnected from its source and reconnected, a spark is
common. This is caused by the momentary charging of the control unit and does not
necessarily indicate the system is staying on, which would cause a drain on the battery.
To determine if a control unit is not shutting off, remove the four-way connector to the
chassis and the two-way connector between the step motor and the control unit. Place a
voltmeter between the red and yellow motor wires at the two-way connector from the
control unit. Reconnect the four-way Connector. Turn the step lockout switch to the 'on'
position. If any voltage registers on the meter for more than 5 seconds, the control unit is
not shutting off and may be defective. When doing this test, switch the voltmeter leads
back and forth between the red and yellow motor wires to be sure no voltage registers.
If any voltage registers, disconnect the four-way connector to keep the step motor from
overheating. If zero voltage is present, the control unit has shut off and is normal."

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #28
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I'm sorry, it is possible to drive off with the steps out. I don't remember the make and model of the class A, that I chased down the street in the campground, that had its steps out. I was a park host at the time and felt it was my duty to stop the RV before damage was done to the rig or park property. I was successful but it was a close call before the coach stopped.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Solar added to charge both Chassis and House

I installed a solar system to charge the chassis battery separate from the house battery through a dual controller. one side charges the chassis battery and the other side charges the house. You can adjust the charge power to one and balance goes to the other. works great, I had the same problem before withe chassis battery drying, but not now.
Patjfrisc is offline   Reply With Quote