Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Maybe someone will know the answer without my going to wiring diagrams. The question is? Does the dc master switch have to be on for the coach batteries to charge when plugged in to shore power?
Coach is 2000 Sunrunner on Ford V10 chassis?

Thanks, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Maybe someone will know the answer without my going to wiring diagrams. The question is? Does the dc master switch have to be on for the coach batteries to charge when plugged in to shore power?
Coach is 2000 Sunrunner on Ford V10 chassis?

Thanks, Dirk
Old 03-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dirk, in my coach, the answer is 'yes'. The master switch must be on to charge the coach batteries.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes. This is a good thing, as you can turn the switch off if plugged in for long periods of time so that you don't "cook" the batteries. Check your water level often, and only refill with distilled.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FDchief:
Yes. This is a good thing, as you can turn the switch off if plugged in for long periods of time so that you don't "cook" the batteries. Check your water level often, and only refill with distilled. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Greg, never thought of that. What is considered a "long period of time".

Thanks
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Thanks guys. The bad news is that in spite of being plugged in the last 3 months the batteries haven't been charged. The good news is that they were just a little below 12 volt, so I expect no harm was done. Ordinarily I would just take the voltmeter in hand and could have figured this out. A couple of weeks ago I had both knees replaced and was concerned about getting on the ground to unsnap the cover. I had my son come by tonight and do it for me, so everything is good now.
I don't worry about leaving the coach plugged in and charging for a couple of months if the electrolyte is up before, but each coach and charging system is different in this regard. And it depends on the outside temperature.
Thanks again. I appreciate your help.
Dirk
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I believe that on my coach the switch automatically turns on when the coach is plugged in to external power. I am not aware that I can switch it off while plugged in, but will try it tomorrow to see.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I just finished replacing both batteries and the converter. I had mine plugged into shore power for about 8 weeks with out checking the battery water level. The batteries were just cooked dry. The tell tale sign is an odor of sulphuric acid as you enter the coach.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:31 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I know I'm new here but I swear I just read that the 12V batteries are charged when the engine is operating. In my old coach I left it plugged in all winter and nothing ever happened to my house batteries.

Going to go double check the manual.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Rocket
Your coach is new and has a 3 stage converter, the older models have a single stage Parallux converter that will fry the batteries if left pluged in and you don't check the water every 2 to 3 weeks. I changed to a Progressive Dynamics converter that manages the batteries and charges as needed not full blast all the time.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I just made a quick check on my coach - with the coach plugged in to external power, the disconnect switch automatically turns on - all 12V systems are powered. Depressing the switch when connected to external power does nothing - all 12V systems are still on. I did not meassure voltage at batteries but think that they are receiving power from the converter anytime I'm plugged in.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

j griff,
Your converter, when plugged in, will provide 12VDC to your 12V fuse panel AND to the batteries for charging. The line from the converter to the batteries goes through the master disconnect switch. When plugged in, your coach will always have power reguardless of what the master switch is doing. That is why you think that the switch works automatically. In reality, it doesn't. When your plugged in, and you don't want the converter to be charging the batteries, just turn off the switch. And you will still be able to use the 12V items in the coach.
Hope this explains things.